Hittin' the links: Golf talk

I truly don't see how golf is a problem. Allow only push carts, must call for tee times, no groups larger than 4, and put 15 minutes between groups. Raise the cups or use pool noodles (our courses did this) so the ball never goes in the hole and no one touches the flag stick. 

No entrance to the club house by using a window for transactions... or require online payment prior. 

Certainly safer than a trip to Walmart. 

• Plus1 1

The courses in Omaha are still all open as far as I know.  Played at Tiburon about a week ago.  It's one person per cart.You pay outside and they are about 2 tables away with a shield in front of them.  Pretty sure they are only accepting card and it's on the table right in front of you under the shield.  The tee times a extremely spread out.  They sanitize every cart after someone uses them and have sanitized and un-sanitized carts separated.  Anything you'd want for food or alcohol they have another separate stand setup for that in the same way as the one where you pay for the golf.

Aside from maybe not social distancing with the person/people you're golfing with, I don't really see an issue with them remaining open and operating this way for the time being.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

I truly don't see how golf is a problem. Allow only push carts, must call for tee times, no groups larger than 4, and put 15 minutes between groups. Raise the cups or use pool noodles (our courses did this) so the ball never goes in the hole and no one touches the flag stick. 

No entrance to the club house by using a window for transactions... or require online payment prior. 

Certainly safer than a trip to Walmart. 

I don't necessarily disagree with you.  Our course is still open with protective measures like you describe in place.  However, it appears that the course by @NUance has some members that didn't take it seriously and it ruined it for everyone.

Now, if the friggen blizzards would stop happening so I could get out and golf, I would be happy.  But, I wouldn't be surprised if there won't be members at our course doing the same thing.  Which...is unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don't necessarily disagree with you.  Our course is still open with protective measures like you describe in place.  However, it appears that the course by @NUance has some members that didn't take it seriously and it ruined it for everyone.

Now, if the friggen blizzards would stop happening so I could get out and golf, I would be happy.  But, I wouldn't be surprised if there won't be members at our course doing the same thing.  Which...is unfortunately.

for sure...just like in life, a few morons can certainly ruin it for the rest of us :bang

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we'll soon have golf again in my town.  With restrictions--which I agree is a good idea.  No groups larger than twosomes.  Tee times 15 minutes apart.  No carts unless there's a medical reason the golfer cannot carry (or pull) their clubs.   And weirdly, can't use the practice greens or driving range.  (Not sure of the rationale for that last one.  But the other restrictions make sense.)  

This is what the governor should have done in the first place.  

11 minutes ago, NUance said:

Well, we'll soon have golf again in my town.  With restrictions--which I agree is a good idea.  No groups larger than twosomes.  Tee times 15 minutes apart.  No carts unless there's a medical reason the golfer cannot carry (or pull) their clubs.   And weirdly, can't use the practice greens or driving range.  (Not sure of the rationale for that last one.  But the other restrictions make sense.)  

This is what the governor should have done in the first place.  

Good deal. At least, within the guidelines, most can get out to enjoy the sport and the weather. 

I assume the prohibition on the driving range is because they don't have an effective way to disinfect the baskets/bags and the range balls themselves...

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...
Just now, DevoHusker said:

great info...and yeah, I want to see something in the mid-upper 80's

I mean, c'mon "76 or higher" ??

I assume they pulled all that data off the PGA Tour because they'd have all the data on putt lengths.  And not a lot of them are shooting higher.

But that doesn't do much for us common folk.  :lol:

• Haha 1
59 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I would like to see this extended to some higher scores but this is pretty interesting:

EYA7dxVWoAER8Wq?format=jpg&name=small

Most golfers who can't break 100 should learn to get off the tee decently.  Then the key to breaking 90 and then 80 is from 100 yards and in.  So many shots are wasted with poor wedge play and putting.

I played a couple weeks ago, and I hit the ball ok, but I was making a decent number of putts, especially in the 5-10 foot range.  I ended up shooting an 81, and that was with 2 OB balls off drives.  I think I should have broken 80, but the only reason I was close to breaking 80 was how I was putting.

• Plus1 2