Hittin' the links: Golf talk

Have you guys played Wild Horse in Gothenburg? I have played a few PGA Tour and major championship venues, and Wild Horse is one of my top-five favorite courses.

I met a few friends from Omaha, and we "Played the West". We only played the courses at Ogalalla/McConaughy and Wild Horse. We played 36 at Wild Horse on Sunday, and another 18 on Monday.

I LOVED Wild Horse. It is such a fun course to play, and it was in amazing shape. I think some of my friends have gone back there and played again, but I haven't. I would love to go back there and play. Too bad there isn't really anything to do in Gothenburg after the golf is done.

Wild Horse was designed by Bill Coore, who is Ben Crenshaw's design partner. They are more well-known for the Sand Hills Club and the renovation at Pinehurst #2 for last year's US Open.

I live close enough that I play it at least a couple times a year.

Love that course.

I was just talking about Tiger's "game" yesterday. From Rosaforte's Golf Channel report today:

"The best example of the progress Tiger made over the last two-to-three weeks is the worst-ball 66 he shot at Medalist Golf Club. That's where he takes the worst of two drives, the worst of the two approach shots, the putt that's either furthest away from the hole or the chip that's furthest away from the hole. And then if he makes birdie he has to validate. So if he makes a 10-footer for birdie he has to make another 10-footer for birdie. To go around that golf course, shoot six under in those conditions where you can't hide, obviously, you can't hide a weakness, and you think about the course record he shot there — 62 in 2011 — this round could conceivably be considered better."

66. SIXTY-SIX! Worst ball. That is mind-boggling.

Wow...that's interesting.

Re: Wild Horse GC

The last two years, I have played in a two-man tournament in Central Nebraska. It is one of my favorite weekends of the year, and I can't wait for it again this fall. It has been scheduled during a Nebraska away or creampuff non-conference game. It is hosted by Awarii Dunes (Kearney) and Wild Horse (Gothenburg). First day is a two-man scramble, and the second day is two-man best ball. There are prizes for gross and net with 2-3 flights. They serve lunch/dinner at each venue. It is a blast! I will try to remember to post again when the date is released. I heavily recommend it to all golfers. We usually stay in Kearney and go out at night to watch the Huskers game. Two years ago, I ran into Brett Maher.

Awarii Dunes:

slide-7.jpg

Wild Horse:

slide2.jpg

I was just talking about Tiger's "game" yesterday. From Rosaforte's Golf Channel report today:

"The best example of the progress Tiger made over the last two-to-three weeks is the worst-ball 66 he shot at Medalist Golf Club. That's where he takes the worst of two drives, the worst of the two approach shots, the putt that's either furthest away from the hole or the chip that's furthest away from the hole. And then if he makes birdie he has to validate. So if he makes a 10-footer for birdie he has to make another 10-footer for birdie. To go around that golf course, shoot six under in those conditions where you can't hide, obviously, you can't hide a weakness, and you think about the course record he shot there — 62 in 2011 — this round could conceivably be considered better."

66. SIXTY-SIX! Worst ball. That is mind-boggling.

Wow...that's interesting.

I'm still a bit skeptical that Tiger is back. Maybe. But I'll need to see the Thursday scorecard from the Masters first.

The last two years, I have played in a two-man tournament in Central Nebraska. It is one of my favorite weekends of the year, and I can't wait for it again this fall. It has been scheduled during a Nebraska away or creampuff non-conference game. It is hosted by Awarii Dunes (Kearney) and Wild Horse (Gothenburg). First day is a two-man scramble, and the second day is two-man best ball. There are prizes for gross and net with 2-3 flights. They serve lunch/dinner at each venue. It is a blast! I will try to remember to post again when the date is released. I heavily recommend it to all golfers. We usually stay in Kearney and go out at night to watch the Huskers game. Two years ago, I ran into Brett Maher.

I've thought about playing in this but the schedule just doesn't work out.

A few of the courses I have been fortunate enough to play:

• Sand Hills
  • Kiawah - Ocean Course
  • Oak Tree National
  • Bandon Dunes
  • Pacific Dunes
  • Bandon Trails
  • Old Macdonald
  • Prairie Dunes
  • Doral - Blue Monster
  • TPC Deere Run

Wild Horse is in my Top Five best/favorite courses I have played.

• Sand Hills
  • Kiawah - Ocean Course
  • Oak Tree National
  • Bandon Dunes
  • Pacific Dunes
  • Bandon Trails
  • Old Macdonald
  • Prairie Dunes
  • Doral - Blue Monster
  • TPC Deere Run

Oh yeah, well at the other end of the spectrum, have you ever played a course with sand greens? Sand greens you ask? Yes, "greens" that have sand instead of grass. They even play a sand greens high school championship in Kansas. LINK There probly are some, but not many, left in Nebraska too. :lol:

Oh yeah, well at the other end of the spectrum, have you ever played a course with sand greens?

Hell yeah, I have! Baldwin City "Country Club" in Baldwin City, Kansas. During college, we would take 3-4 clubs and a backpack full of ice/beer and go play shirtless. Some people take sand greens really serious, they will rake them and actually putt. We would just call it a one-putt for anything within the flagstick and a two-putt for anything on sand. That reminds me, take me back to college!

Picture from actual course:

golf-course-crop_t640.jpg?a6ea3ebd4438a4

That barn houses the carts of locals. It also has the "register," where you insert $5 on the honor system. Don't worry, all students got free "memberships!" :lol:

• Fire 1

Oh yeah, well at the other end of the spectrum, have you ever played a course with sand greens?

Hell yeah, I have! Baldwin City "Country Club" in Baldwin City, Kansas. During college, we would take 3-4 clubs and a backpack full of ice/beer and go play shirtless. Some people take sand greens really serious, they will rake them and actually putt. We would just call it a one-putt for anything within the flagstick and a two-putt for anything on sand. That reminds me, take me back to college!

That barn houses the carts of locals. It also has the "register," where you insert $5 on the honor system. Don't worry, all students got free "memberships!" :lol:

" 3-4 clubs and a backpack full of ice/beer and go play shirtless ... insert $5 on the honor system" yep, THAT is how you play sand greens alright. chuckleshuffle

• Sand Hills
  • Kiawah - Ocean Course
  • Oak Tree National
  • Bandon Dunes
  • Pacific Dunes
  • Bandon Trails
  • Old Macdonald
  • Prairie Dunes
  • Doral - Blue Monster
  • TPC Deere Run

Headed out to San Diego at the end of May and there is no way I'm leaving that place without playing Torrey Pines. Can't remember if it's the north or the south course that the US Open was played on but I will find a way to play that while I'm there.

• Sand Hills
  • Kiawah - Ocean Course
  • Oak Tree National
  • Bandon Dunes
  • Pacific Dunes
  • Bandon Trails
  • Old Macdonald
  • Prairie Dunes
  • Doral - Blue Monster
  • TPC Deere Run

Headed out to San Diego at the end of May and there is no way I'm leaving that place without playing Torrey Pines. Can't remember if it's the north or the south course that the US Open was played on but I will find a way to play that while I'm there.

The South Course at TP is where they had the US Open, and I think they are going back in a few years. It can be pretty hard to get on though. The North Course is basically on the same property, and is easier to get on and less expensive to play.

• Sand Hills
  • Kiawah - Ocean Course
  • Oak Tree National
  • Bandon Dunes
  • Pacific Dunes
  • Bandon Trails
  • Old Macdonald
  • Prairie Dunes
  • Doral - Blue Monster
  • TPC Deere Run
  • Wild Horse is in my Top Five best/favorite courses I have played.

The South Course at TP is where they had the US Open, and I think they are going back in a few years. It can be pretty hard to get on though. The North Course is basically on the same property, and is easier to get on and less expensive to play.

That's what I was thinking it was. Im basically going to call this weekend and see what they have available while we're out there. I wouldn't mind paying what it costs to play that as I'm sure I won't be out there anytime soon.

Mullen Country Club....oh....long before Sandhills was built.