Hittin' the links: Golf talk

If you are anywhere Crete, NE, College Heights CC has a golf simulator. You hit into a net, but the ball flight is up on a big screen tv. Very cool. 402-826-GOLF

Wish I had access to a golf simulator for days like today. High in the 20s and snowing.

This off-season I have committed to putting in the time and effort and getting better. I have been frequenting an indoor golf facility. It is a great setup with 8 nets, Flightscope, and a 20' x 10' putting green. It has allowed me to work on a few minor swing changes without worrying too much about the ball flight. Since the New Year, I've committed to hit a few weekly goals: workout 4 times, make 350 putts, slo-mo and mirror work, and video my swing. It is already paying off dividends. Last weekend was unseasonably warm, so I was able to get 36 holes in between Friday and Saturday. I shot 73-70 (a new career best) on the course that hosts the Web.com event here in town. I'm excited for the season to officially start!

Anyone, besides me, go to the Nebraska Golf Show at the Century Link Center in Omaha this weekend? I was hoping to get fitted for a new set up irons that I'm thinking of buying, but the Cobra representative didn't have any of his tools. I did hit some stiff shaft King F6's, sweet clubs. I thought the show was pretty good, well worth my time. The $8 tall boy beers were cold, but for 8 bucks, they'd better be.

Every year I say I'm gonna really work on my short game and improve my up-and-down percentage. And every year I don't. Well, THIS is the year that I really work on my chipping and short pitch shots.

• Fire 1

titleist-vokey-spin-milled-sm5-wedge-gol

Bought a couple of wedges yesterday. Last year's spin milled Vokey--a 52.08 and a 56.14, both in brushed chrome finish. Similar to the one above, except different bounce. I'll probly pick up a 48 to match those two, when I find one.

• 2 weeks later...

Every year I say I'm gonna really work on my short game and improve my up-and-down percentage. And every year I don't. Well, THIS is the year that I really work on my chipping and short pitch shots.

I've put in a ton of time practicing short pitches and chips. Probably 15 practice sessions of 20 to 45 minutes over the past three weeks. (Sometimes hitting the practice green twice per day. Hey, it's four blocks from my house.) I also played about 15 holes on a course concentrating solely on short game, playing three balls in from 5 to 50 yds from the hole. (The practice green gets boring. lol) With all this practice I can tell I've improved a little bit. But still have a long ways to go. A long ways.

As near as I can tell, a good short game requires these three things: 1) skill in executing the shot (ball striking ability). 2) Ability to read the green and know what the ball will do when it lands and rolls. 3) Ability to read the lie, and know how the ball will come out from different lies. I can't say I've mastered any of these three skills yet.

I think I'll change things up and start practicing putting for a while now. They're going to core the greens where I play in a week or so. I want to get a few putting practice sessions in before then, since the greens will suck for about three weeks after they do the core aeration.

• 2 weeks later...

Ever since my kids were little, I have always said they come first and golf comes second. There are three tournaments I have wanted to play in for a long time. Well....this year is the first year NONE of my kids have summer activities that would take priority. They have jobs and the rest of the time is free.

WELLLLL.......Just so happens then I have nephews that decided to schedule weddings on two of them and the course changed the date of the third to a weekend I already am schedule to be out of town.

:facepalm: