Hittin' the links: Golf talk

Crazy, but I won a trip to Carlsbad to test Callaway's new driver that came out today. While I was out there last month, I got a chance to play Torrey Pines South. What a great track and incredible views!

Had the chance to play there a few years back. Played horrible golf that day but didn't really care. The course is so beautiful.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Fiance told me the other day she wants to get me a new set of irons for our wedding gift (didn't know this was a thing). Looking at getting the new Cobra King F7 one length irons. All irons are the same length as your 7 iron. Anyone on here play these or know someone that does?

Bryson DeChambeau is the only guy I know that uses them and he is on the PGA Tour. In theory, they should help, but I think you need to have some relatively high swing speed otherwise the gaps in the long irons won't be enough.

Fiance told me the other day she wants to get me a new set of irons for our wedding gift (didn't know this was a thing). Looking at getting the new Cobra King F7 one length irons. All irons are the same length as your 7 iron. Anyone on here play these or know someone that does?

Bryson DeChambeau is the only guy I know that uses them and he is on the PGA Tour. In theory, they should help, but I think you need to have some relatively high swing speed otherwise the gaps in the long irons won't be enough.

I typically don't swing anything over a 6 iron (not because I'm that good but the courses I typically play aren't very long) so idk if the long iron issue would apply to me. I just like the idea of having all the irons be the same length.

Am I completely wrong in thinking that it will help my short iron play or not?

The temp was around 50o yesterday afternoon. So I cut out early and played the front nine. Shot a 45. Would've been a 43, except I hit one OB. Just last week I played four holes and started out triple, triple, bogey. Very painful. It was pretty cold though, and for some reason everything I hit was going about a club and a half less in distance. That, and I couldn't make a putt to save my life. Go figure.

The temp was around 50o yesterday afternoon. So I cut out early and played the front nine. Shot a 45. Would've been a 43, except I hit one OB. Just last week I played four holes and started out triple, triple, bogey. Very painful. It was pretty cold though, and for some reason everything I hit was going about a club and a half less in distance. That, and I couldn't make a putt to save my life. Go figure.

Best round I ever played was a cloudy mid-40's day, with drizzle (shot an 82/par72)

The cooler temp is the reason your shots were going less distance. Also, I am sure greens aren't in great shape right now, as the grass isn't growing and the courses aren't cutting the greens to get them smooth every day. Don't be so hard on yourself. Enjoy the fact you were out on the course in mid-Feb.

I typically don't swing anything over a 6 iron (not because I'm that good but the courses I typically play aren't very long) so idk if the long iron issue would apply to me. I just like the idea of having all the irons be the same length.

Having all your irons the same length is a terrible idea for the average golfer, especially for your short irons. Your short irons should be shorter length shafts to provide more accuracy into the green. Also, golfers encounter varying lies around the green, so it helps to have the shorter shaft length.

Having all your irons the same length is a terrible idea for the average golfer, especially for your short irons. Your short irons should be shorter length shafts to provide more accuracy into the green. Also, golfers encounter varying lies around the green, so it helps to have the shorter shaft length.

^Yep. Also, longer irons aren't all about distance. They're also about the ball flight. I'll choke down on a 5 iron if I want the ball to run a bit, as opposed to using a 6, or 7.

What would be considered the average golfer?