Hittin' the links: Golf talk

The governor of Illinois shutdown all golf course due to Covid-19.  At first this affected only public golf courses.  Recently however, he clarified his order as applying to private courses as well.  So for the time being a person in the state of Illinois can't get a bit of exercise by walking nine holes--even though they might not be within 50 yards of anyone else on the course.  

The mayor of my town appear on local television to discuss the impact of Covid-19 on local businesses and citizens.  He requested questions beforehand, saying he'd address them in his remarks.  This was my question to him:  

• Why is it okay to walk 2 or 3 miles on public sidewalks and walking trails to get some exercise, but walking 2 or 3 miles carrying a bag of golf clubs is prohibited? Does golf cause Covid-19?

He totally ignored my question.  

dbb2ad8233d44cc7b6783aa86ed33042?width=1

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, NUance said:

The governor of Illinois shutdown all golf course due to Covid-19.  At first this affected only public golf courses.  Recently however, he clarified his order as applying to private courses as well.  So for the time being a person in the state of Illinois can't get a bit of exercise by walking nine holes--even though they might not be within 50 yards of anyone else on the course.  

The mayor of my town appear on local television to discuss the impact of Covid-19 on local businesses and citizens.  He requested questions beforehand, saying he'd address them in his remarks.  This was my question to him:  

• Why is it okay to walk 2 or 3 miles on public sidewalks and walking trails to get some exercise, but walking 2 or 3 miles carrying a bag of golf clubs is prohibited? Does golf cause Covid-19?

You can't operate from the premise that the rules have to make sense.

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, NUance said:

dbb2ad8233d44cc7b6783aa86ed33042?width=1

Frustrating.

But, sometimes it doesn't have anything to do with you.  It has to do with employees.  The golf courses probably were not designated as essential business. If they are open, then employees are going to be needed to be there and they aren't able to social distance like you can while on the course.  

Our local small town golf course (central Nebraska) is still open.  But, they have closed the club house and only one employee is needed there to disinfect the carts and hand out keys.  And...that's done in a way that they don't have to be close to golfers.

5 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Frustrating.

But, sometimes it doesn't have anything to do with you.  It has to do with employees.  The golf courses probably were not designated as essential business. If they are open, then employees are going to be needed to be there and they aren't able to social distance like you can while on the course.  

Our local small town golf course (central Nebraska) is still open.  But, they have closed the club house and only one employee is needed there to disinfect the carts and hand out keys.  And...that's done in a way that they don't have to be close to golfers.

All the golf course employees are still working.  Even though the restaurant and lounge are close none of the kitchen staff, waiters, etc. have been laid off.   

I could understand prohibiting golf carts due to the possibility of passing germs on the steering wheel, etc.  But I can't see how walking the golf course would pose even the most remote threat.  

Then again, my perspective is a bit biased.  lol

8 minutes ago, NUance said:

All the golf course employees are still working.  Even though the restaurant and lounge are close none of the kitchen staff, waiters, etc. have been laid off.   

I could understand prohibiting golf carts due to the possibility of passing germs on the steering wheel, etc.  But I can't see how walking the golf course would pose even the most remote threat.  

Then again, my perspective is a bit biased.  lol

Why are all the golf course employees working if the course is closed down?

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Why are all the golf course employees working if the course is closed down?

Exactly!   It's crazy.  I think they are woefully mismanaging the whole situation.  

1 hour ago, NUance said:

Exactly!   It's crazy.  I think they are woefully mismanaging the whole situation.  

Are you sure it’s not just the people out mowing/trimming that are maintaining the course and can easily distance each other?

those people pretty much have to keep working or the course is destroyed. 

40 minutes ago, Mavric said:

@NUance's son between Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions:

Ha ha!  We do have a couple practice mats on the back patio.  We pitch out into the back yard at a cast iron bell I mounted a foot or so off the ground.  It's hard to hit!   

On 4/9/2020 at 8:22 PM, BigRedBuster said:

Are you sure it’s not just the people out mowing/trimming that are maintaining the course and can easily distance each other?

those people pretty much have to keep working or the course is destroyed. 

No, the waiters and pro-shop people are helping with the grounds maintenance.  I know them all.  It's weird.  

I drive past the place nearly every day--it's four blocks from my house.  It's frustrating that the course is in immaculate shape, but I can't walk a quick nine.  Shoot, I can't even use the driving range or practice greens.  

On 4/13/2020 at 11:33 AM, NUance said:

No, the waiters and pro-shop people are helping with the grounds maintenance. 

Yes, so the course is keeping the employment (possibly so they can utilize their PPP loan) and maintaining the course so it isn't ruined by lack of maintenance.  

I was talking to a friend in the Omaha area.  I looked back to our text conversation.  On March 30th, he said his local course was packed.  This was after social distancing was strongly recommended.  Now, you know that would be the case if yours was open too.  How do the employees maintain social distancing with that?

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yes, so the course is keeping the employment (possibly so they can utilize their PPP loan) and maintaining the course so it isn't ruined by lack of maintenance.  

I was talking to a friend in the Omaha area.  I looked back to our text conversation.  On March 30th, he said his local course was packed.  This was after social distancing was strongly recommended.  Now, you know that would be the case if yours was open too.  How do the employees maintain social distancing with that?

There wouldn't be a problem with the employees maintaining social distancing.  The pro shop has been closed for about three weeks.  My club doesn't take tee times--it's first come, first serve.  The pro simply put score cards, tees, etc. on a folding table near the first tee.

The problem is, some of the members weren't practicing social distancing.  Guys who live on the course were riding their own carts (normally prohibited).   The day before the course closed there were groups playing in 5-somes to 7-somes.  I think one of the non-golf neighbors complained.   

19 minutes ago, NUance said:

There wouldn't be a problem with the employees maintaining social distancing.  The pro shop has been closed for about three weeks.  My club doesn't take tee times--it's first come, first serve.  The pro simply put score cards, tees, etc. on a folding table near the first tee.

The problem is, some of the members weren't practicing social distancing.  Guys who live on the course were riding their own carts (normally prohibited).   The day before the course closed there were groups playing in 5-somes to 7-somes.  I think one of the non-golf neighbors complained.   

Sounds like it's some of the members that ruined it for everyone else.

• Plus1 1