Hittin' the links: Golf talk

I had a fitting with a Titleist Tour Fitting Professional this afternoon. There is likely a 915H 21* hybrid in my near future.

If the hybrids are anything like the 915 series driver & fairway woods, I would be willing to guess its a great club. I picked up the 915 D2 & 915 FD 3-wood last week and holy smokes, they turned me from a TaylorMade guy to a Titleist guy real quick. They're pricey, but well worth it in my opinion. I am looking forward to getting out and playing the next two days.

Is it referred to as the mini driver by websites? If so I may be looking to get that club soon if prices are what I have seen them going for. Definitely need to upgrade the 3 wood.

Yes, SLDR Mini Driver. Check out Kingdom59.com. They are a reputable weekly deal site. They have them right now for $129. You can probably find them around that, or cheaper, on eBay too. The Aeroburner Mini just released, so the SLDR Mini will become cheaper.

Q here's a question for you. I have never really cared/thought about different bounce on wedges. Always been a pretty decent short game guy until the last couple years with my 2 shoulder surgeries. What kind of wedges do you play? I've got a couple older Cleveland wedges. Been looking at the Vokeye wedges and have heard some good things about the Mizuno wedges too.

I use the Taylormade Tour Preferred wedges (50 bent to 51, 54 bent to 55, and 60). I've never played Cleveland or Mizuno, but have had great success with PING, Taylormade, and Titleist (Vokey). The new PING Glide wedges are phenomenal! The Nike Engage line is releasing next month, and I've heard nothing but great things.

• Fire 2

Is it referred to as the mini driver by websites? If so I may be looking to get that club soon if prices are what I have seen them going for. Definitely need to upgrade the 3 wood.

Yes, SLDR Mini Driver. Check out Kingdom59.com. They are a reputable weekly deal site. They have them right now for $129. You can probably find them around that, or cheaper, on eBay too. The Aeroburner Mini just released, so the SLDR Mini will become cheaper.

Q here's a question for you. I have never really cared/thought about different bounce on wedges. Always been a pretty decent short game guy until the last couple years with my 2 shoulder surgeries. What kind of wedges do you play? I've got a couple older Cleveland wedges. Been looking at the Vokeye wedges and have heard some good things about the Mizuno wedges too.

I use the Taylormade Tour Preferred wedges (50 bent to 51, 54 bent to 55, and 60). I've never played Cleveland or Mizuno, but have had great success with PING, Taylormade, and Titleist (Vokey). The new PING Glide wedges are phenomenal! The Nike Engage line is releasing next month, and I've heard nothing but great things.

Alright Q thanks for the help. I'll have to check that stuff out. I'm definitely intrigued by the SLDR mini for sure.

logofour.png

This guy gave up his day job to spend 10,000 hours of practice in an effort to become a pro golfer. 6 hours a day, 6 days a week for 6 years. He started from the hole, working backwards in his practice efforts. For the first few days he started practicing really short putts. Like 1 foot from the hole. Then after a few days he moved back to a couple feet, again practicing only putts. Then after a few days back a little further. Finally, he graduated to practicing putts all over the green. Then after a couple months or something he moved out to start practicing short chips just off the green. And so on. It took him a year to get out to shots from 75-100 yards. In all that time he never swung a driver or long iron. www.thedanplan.com
I'm not sure exactly what to make of this. That is, I'm not sure whether this is brilliantor the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. :lol:
/edit: Here's an article about the guy: LINK

I quit golf!!! Worst outing this year, I regressed so much yesterday. Shanked everything but 3 or 4 shots. One of the good shots was dead straight on a dog leg into a bunker. I liked this game better when I didn't care, at least I didn't get mad then.

Oh well, guess I'll hit the range today!

Yeah, I've been spending a lot of time working on my short game. I hit the practice green twice this weekend. And my short game just sucks. I was getting up and down about 1/4 of the time from within a few yards off the practice green. That's basically giving up a stroke on every hole that I don't hit in regulation. Which is a regular occurrence. :facepalm:

They are having a wedge clinic at my golf club this Saturday. It'll include a group lesson, and individual fittings to see if your wedges fit right. Only $10. SCORE! (Even though it's during the spring game.) :lol:

They are having a wedge clinic at my golf club this Saturday. It'll include a group lesson, and individual fittings to see if your wedges fit right. Only $10. SCORE! (Even though it's during the spring game.) :lol:

Yeah, and they will be trying to sell you the newest wedges for only $120 each.

No doubt! That's okay. I think I'll stick with my Vokeys.

Came up with a new game that I play with my four-year-old (almost five) on the practice green:

I toss my ball into the greenside rough. He gets two putts to get away from me while still staying on the green. He generally putts his ball toward the far side of the green, trying to get it behind a hole. Then I get two strokes to hit his ball with mineone short pitch or chip, and a putt. If I hit his ball with mine, I get a point. If I miss it he gets a point. We played to ten points a couple of times yesterday. He won both times, but it was close. For me it's basically like practicing up-and-downs from across the green. He just likes being able to beat dad at something.

The third time we played this game I was ahead of him something like 5-2. He turns to me and says, "Dad, you made up all the rules. Let me make up a rule." The rule he made up? If I miss his ball, then he gets to putt once. If he *misses* my ball he scores another point. LOL. So I'd miss his ball by a couple of inches and he would turn around and putt it five feet the other way, scoring a point. He thought his new rule was great. I thought it was pretty funny. :lol:

• Fire 2