Golf

I've only played Hi-Mark once and it was a while ago so I don't remember much about it. But as far as the city courses go they're pretty good. Pioneers is probably tops, but it get pretty busy, Highlands would be my second favorite. The greens at Highlands seem to be a little tricky, but they're probably better now that we actually got a good rain. Homes is ok, but I feel like you're always shooting up hill and into the wind. Mahoney is meh, kind of boring and really wide open. If you're a good golfer it's not going to challenge you except for distance.

Crooked Creek is another course I like to play. It's out on East O Street about 3 or 4 miles outside of town. It's pretty cheap, but it's a nice course.

• 2 years later...

• 1 year later...

This thread could use some love, so I'll give it some. Unfortunately I haven't played golf in Nebraska in about 15 years.

Once upon a time, I worked at Pioneers. A long time before that, my dad was good friends with the pro at the time, Dave Oliphant.

I used to play the Ager Junior as a little tyke... happy memories....

It's too bad the Highlands didn't come along until well after I'd left the area.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

No one would have blamed Chris Wardrup if he walked off the course after his opening hole of the Desert Empire League boys' golf championship on Wednesday. The Palm Desert High School sophomore hit three shots out of bounds at the par-4 first on the Gary Player Course at Westin Mission Hills in Rancho Mirage, two right and one left. He finished the hole with a 10, putting him six-over par before he even knew what hit him. Talk about a shock to the system.

But Wardrup wasn't going anywhere, quickly putting the double-digit number on the card behind him and getting to work. The southpaw went on to make six birdies and an eagle on the round, remarkably carding a two-under par 70 to keep himself in the 36-hole tournament. The following day, Wardrup fired the low round of the event, a six-under 66 to finish with an eight-under total of 136. After spotting the rest of the field six shots on his first hole, he played his final 35 holes in 14 under to win by six, a turnaround that would be unfathomable for a tour pro let alone a high schooler.

Link

13 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Three Nebraska courses made the list.

41 Prairie Club (Dunes)

70 Wild Horse

89 Prairie Club (Pines)

I'm surprised at how many on the list are links courses.  I love playing links courses, but I'm just surprised that they dominate the list.  7 of the top 10.

There are NOT 69 public courses in America better than Wild Horse. Hell, there probably aren’t even 10. 

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, QMany said:

There are NOT 69 public courses in America better than Wild Horse. Hell, there probably aren’t even 10. 

I wouldn't know.  I really like Wild Horse.

Do you think there is 100 better than Sandhills or Dismal?  I haven't played either one, but I'm surprised neither was on the list.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I wouldn't know.  I really like Wild Horse.

I have played a few of those higher-ranked Top 100s (Kiawah, Torrey, Bandon (4)), and I would pick Wild Horse every day and twice on Sundays. 

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Do you think there is 100 better than Sandhills or Dismal?  I haven't played either one, but I'm surprised neither was on the list.

Golf Digest's NEW list of America's 100 Greatest Public Courses

• Plus1 1
  • 1 month later...

OK Question.  I feel like I am so unathletic sometimes.  

I came out this spring and literally was playing the best golf of my life.  I was consistently better than I normally am.

THEN....a few weeks ago happened.  For some reason, I completely lost the ability to hit the ball.  Well....I can hit it, but had absolutely no control over where it was going.  Well, one thing I knew, it wasn't going left.  I was pushing, slicing, fading absolutely every shot.  not just a little.  A LOT....with absolutely no distance....I was so damn frustrated.  Well, yesterday I went and played 9 just by myself to try to figure it out.  I video taped 4 different shots.  Actually, 8 shots because I was playing two balls.  

I was so amazed at what I was seeing that today, I started the effort to completely reconstruct my swing.  Everything from my grip, back swing, follow through.....everything.  At noon, I actually hit a small bucket of balls with my 8 iron and all but a couple went straight and good distance.  I'm still pushing it just slightly...but, I can work with that.

I don't know if I've ever had this happen before where I all of a sudden completely fell apart so bad that minor adjustments couldn't fix it.

16 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

OK Question.  I feel like I am so unathletic sometimes.  

I came out this spring and literally was playing the best golf of my life.  I was consistently better than I normally am.

THEN....a few weeks ago happened.  For some reason, I completely lost the ability to hit the ball.  Well....I can hit it, but had absolutely no control over where it was going.  Well, one thing I knew, it wasn't going left.  I was pushing, slicing, fading absolutely every shot.  not just a little.  A LOT....with absolutely no distance....I was so damn frustrated.  Well, yesterday I went and played 9 just by myself to try to figure it out.  I video taped 4 different shots.  Actually, 8 shots because I was playing two balls.  

I was so amazed at what I was seeing that today, I started the effort to completely reconstruct my swing.  Everything from my grip, back swing, follow through.....everything.  At noon, I actually hit a small bucket of balls with my 8 iron and all but a couple went straight and good distance.  I'm still pushing it just slightly...but, I can work with that.

I don't know if I've ever had this happen before where I all of a sudden completely fell apart so bad that minor adjustments couldn't fix it.

It seems clear that you are a decent player since you could fix that issue...but I used to play with a guy that would always touch 120+ for 18...it was brutal...and he would "swear" he fixed his stroke and we would go play and it would just be horrible.  We could never stop laughing at how bad he was.