Golf

22 minutes ago, teachercd said:

It seems clear that you are a decent player since you could fix that issue...but I used to play with a guy that would always touch 120+ for 18...it was brutal...and he would "swear" he fixed his stroke and we would go play and it would just be horrible.  We could never stop laughing at how bad he was.

I don't consider myself a really good golfer.  I usually shoot around 90 (18 holes) on my home course.  I've just been dealing with fixing my swing for over 30 years.  I'm not a natural like some people.

• 2 weeks later...

what happened was you read too many "swing fix" articles, or watched a couple youtube videos on "how to create more distance" and those things are all going through your head when you step up to the ball...no way you could hit a good ball with all that going on in your head...

...at least that's what happens to me :blink:

4 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

what happened was you read too many "swing fix" articles, or watched a couple youtube videos on "how to create more distance" and those things are all going through your head when you step up to the ball...no way you could hit a good ball with all that going on in your head...

...at least that's what happens to me :blink:

Actually, I think it was the fact that last year, I started doing this really weird thing in my back swing.  I knew I was doing it but it worked.  Then, all of a sudden it didn't work at all.  Now, I have muscle memory doing it and couldn't stop.  I then played in a scramble and the second day it was freezing cold and that screwed my swing up even more.

I'm getting back.  Just about the only swing thought I have now is to NOT do that goofy thing in my back swing.  

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

did you stay on site BRB...? What are prices like? I know the scenery is amazing from what I have seen online...

We stayed on site. I would highly recommend that. Nice rooms and there is very little in Mullen to stay at. And, it’s a long drive. 

Not it sure about prices. We bought a package on a benefit auction. 

1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

Thanks BRB I am definitely going to check into it. I assume the course is as challenging as it appears...

I don't know what type of golfer you are, but it possibly is in the top 1-2 toughest courses I have ever played.  We played the first 18 holes with our own balls just to see how we do.  The rest of the time we scrambled.  Two days and 36 holes each day, I am pretty sure I lost around 30 balls.  I was finally down to 5 balls in my bag.  Weird thing was, I was hitting the ball really well.....if I was playing my own coarse.  But, when you gotta drive the ball 230 yards and hit a spot....I'm not THAT good.

I hover in the 13-14 range. Got under 12 a couple years ago, but slipped above 15 this spring. Golfing for me is more about competing against myself rather than beating anyone else. I have played some courses in Arizona that I thought were beyond my capability, and ended up doing okay. I think picking the correct tees helps, and I have no issue moving up to make the game more enjoyable, even though I am still a couple years from Senior Tee status...

All that being said...I too have issues with the forced carry of a distance that is equal to/greater than what amounts to a damn good drive for an amateur on a good day :angry:

4 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

I hover in the 13-14 range. Got under 12 a couple years ago, but slipped above 15 this spring. Golfing for me is more about competing against myself rather than beating anyone else. I have played some courses in Arizona that I thought were beyond my capability, and ended up doing okay. I think picking the correct tees helps, and I have no issue moving up to make the game more enjoyable, even though I am still a couple years from Senior Tee status...

All that being said...I too have issues with the forced carry of a distance that is equal to/greater than what amounts to a damn good drive for an amateur on a good day :angry:

Yeah..you're a little better than me, but not much.  The biggest advice we were told before going (and appreciated it) is don't let your ego get the best of you.  We played the white tee boxes which are the first ones behind the women's tees.  It was by far long enough for us and I'm probably the shortest driver in the bunch.

I had to look back to remember, but there is a 235 yard par 3 (from the whites) where you can only see about half the green because of a big hill from the tees.  Everything between you and the green is crap.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I had to look back to remember, but there is a 235 yard par 3 (from the whites) where you can only see about half the green because of a big hill from the tees.  Everything between you and the tree is crap.

dontcha love it when you get to one of those part 3's...it's like "hmmm, I have one club in my bag that might make it that far...if I nut it.." :bang

I have generally taken the 5 iron, wedge, putt, putt approach and been happy with bogey

Played Tatanka this year for my brothers bachelor party. Buddy of mine runs the clubhouse up there so we got a steal of a deal. If you haven't had the chance to play that make sure to add it to the list. By far the longest course I've played. Didn't pay attention to the score card and played the next to longest tees (can't remember the color). Got to about the 8th hold and looked and it was 7100 yards from the tees we were playing. A couple monster holes and if the wind is blowing good luck. 

Definitely want to make it out to Dismal some day. I've heard nothing but good things about it.