Golf

• 2 weeks later...

On 10/4/2020 at 3:49 PM, Mavric said:

The fell-better-about-your-own-golf-game post of the day:

EjfnRo7XcAE90y5?format=jpg&name=small

Golf.com

That's always good information when it comes to analyzing your game.  Where the pros do so much better than us hacks is their drives are more consistently in the fairway so they aren' using as many rescue shots, they don't have the shank from 160 yards off into the woods, and when they do miss the green, they get up and down.

Short game can still decrease all of our scores much more than many people think.

I have been using thegrint.com this year, which is a basically an online golf handicap tracker.  I pay like $40 a year for the "bonus" services, which includes an official GHIN handicap and a lot of statistical analysis (if you track and enter info on your round like # of putts, tee shot accuracy, green in regulation, etc.  I am a stats nerd, so I like that aspect.  I probably played my last round of the year this weekend, as the weather is starting to turn in Colorado.  A few things that stand out in my lower handicap rounds.

1)  My tee shot accuracy is relatively the same for each round.  There are a few outliers, but my tee shot accuracy is generally 50%.  The outlier rounds will create score deviations, mostly in the bad, as those can lead to penalty shots.

2)  The biggest contributing factor to my scores each round was my greens in regulation percentage.  The better my GIR %, the better I scored.  I have been thinking of getting some new irons to take advantage of new technology, and these stats are pushing me to make the investment.

3)  My total putts is generally the same each round (around 33-35) which is pretty average.  There were a couple rounds where I got hot with the putter, which resulted in a lower score.  This also tells me that I need to get better with my chipping to get closer to the hole, and get better on shorter putts.

So, if you are willing to track things during your round, and you enjoy statistical analysis, thegrint.com is worth checking out.

• Plus1 1

I signed up for the free account this spring but haven't used it a lot yet.  Part of the problem is my home course (a little 9-holer in the middle of nowhere) isn't correct on their score entry.  It still has the old hole configuration before one hole was added (one removed) and another reconfigured.  But that's been at least 15 years ago.  I can't remember if I tried to contact them or not.

That sounds like good information.  So maybe if I can get them to get it updated I'll try to use it more next year.  I'd really like to get an actual GHIN because I've never gotten around to that.

16 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I had not heard of thegrint.com, but sounds like a great site. I will check it out. Thanks @ColoradoHusk and, I hope the weather holds out for you to get a couple more rounds in this fall! I see here in Central NE it is supposed to get back to 65 on Thursday, so I will be taking a couple hours off early to take advantage.

I'm an analytical person, and can remember every shot I have during a round, so a site like thegrint.com works great for me.  I used to do an after-round analysis in a spreadsheet, where I would track the shots I lost to par for each hole and break it down between tee shot, approach, short-game, and putting.  Then I would total up each hole to see what part of my game cost me the most strokes in that round.  I might start doing that again next year, but this website does do very similar analysis, along with keeping my handicap.

• Plus1 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...