Golf

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yes, but, then you describe why that green is bad. 

There is a difference between a false front and what that green is going with the ball rolling all the way from the middle after coming to a complete stop. 

The design of the green isn't necessarily bad. The set up from the tournament organizers made that green bad.  They shouldn't have had the greens running that fast to where a ball would stop near the hole, but not stay on the slope of the green, and gather enough speed to where it would roll back down off the green.

Maybe the whole green is designed to trick the player and they rarely have a pin location on the front of the green.  Or maybe the greens on that course play much slower to make up for the slopes of the greens, and then the tournament organizers sped up the greens to levels where the slopes of the greens can't handle being played at that speed.

Greens are designed to have slope and speed of the greens in mind.  The 15th hole at Augusta National has a good portion of the front of the green doesn't hold golf balls, especially the greens are playing firm and fast.  There are a lot of greens in golf where certain areas of the green aren't able to have pin locations because of the severity of the slope.  It doesn't mean that the green is poorly designed.  It means the course greens keepers/tournament organizers have to take those areas in mind when setting pin locations.

• 2 months later...

I had an awesome weekend. Guys trip weekend and played Quarry Oaks on Friday and Indian Creek on Saturday. Indian Creek has a Korn Ferry tournament in two weeks and we played those 18. 

It was an awesome weekend. 

Shot an 89 at quarry oaks and 95 at Indian creek. And, only lost 4 balls. 

Im fine with that since never playing them before and IC being set up for the tourney. 

• Oh Yeah! 1
36 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I had an awesome weekend. Guys trip weekend and played Quarry Oaks on Friday and Indian Creek on Saturday. Indian Creek has a Korn Ferry tournament in two weeks and we played those 18. 

It was an awesome weekend. 

Shot an 89 at quarry oaks and 95 at Indian creek. And, only lost 4 balls. 

Im fine with that since never playing them before and IC being set up for the tourney. 

IC is a great course, LOVE playing there and 95 is a good score at that place!

Quarry is awesome, back when we used to play our yearly "major" I chipped in on 18 to tie for the win @ColoradoHusk, I think I tied with this guy.

• Plus1 2
12 hours ago, teachercd said:

IC is a great course, LOVE playing there and 95 is a good score at that place!

Yeah...I was OK with my score.  They had the rough growing long for the tournament which I'm not used to.  It was kind of fun playing with the grandstands all set up and imagining coming into hole 18 with a few thousand people there.

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Yeah...I was OK with my score.  They had the rough growing long for the tournament which I'm not used to.  It was kind of fun playing with the grandstands all set up and imagining coming into hole 18 with a few thousand people there.

Heck yeah that would be fun!

The rough at IC is insane as it is, I can only imagine what it is like when they let it grow i.  

• 2 months later...
24 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I just played in a 2 man 4 ball tournament. Didn’t play well. But, the guys we were paired up with shot 22 under par. Their worst hole was a birdie on a par 5. All other par 5s were eagles and everything else was birdies. On our best drives, we were still 100 yards behind them. 

That was impressive to watch. 

That's pretty nuts.

I played in a four-man scramble earlier this year where another team shot 11-under on the back.  But they stumbled through only 8-under on the front before they got going.

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

That's pretty nuts.

I played in a four-man scramble earlier this year where another team shot 11-under on the back.  But they stumbled through only 8-under on the front before they got going.

It is really cool to see.

One of my friends was our HS golf MVP for like 3 years and coaches golf.  I was with him the day he shot a 63 at Blueberry Oaks in IL, which was the course record, might still be.  But it was just different. 

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...

He is one of my favorites.  I had a chance to follow him, Arnold Palmer and Gary McCord around for 18 holes.  It was a great experience and it just reinforced how much I enjoyed this guy.  After the round, he got a folding chair, set it up on the patio of the club house and stayed there till after dark till he had signed something for everyone who came by.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • 2 months later...