Golf

3 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

My thoughts as well

Dustin Johnson is my favorite player on Tour, but it drives me nuts when he plays super quick on the tee and in the fairway, but then slows down to a crawl on the greens.  He and his caddy brother are both checking their greens books and taking forever on each putt.  Bryson is just as bad on the greens.  It's funny that Bryson has struggled at The Masters, where they don't allow greens reading books.

• Plus1 1

32 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Greens reading books take the skill out of actually reading the greens with your eyes, feet, etc.  Plus, it adds a lot of time on the greens as players are looking at their book for every darn putt.

For me, it's an advantage they have that us average golfers don't have.  OK, you're really good at reading greens.....as long as you have a book telling you what the green is going to do.  Well, I don't get that.  Sure, I have a range finder for play, but they have a caddy with a book telling them pretty much the yardage.  So, that part equals out, in my mind.  

It will be really interesting to see all of a sudden who gets worse at putting.

• Plus1 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Spent the weekend in Valentine.  Friday played 30 holes at Fredrick Peak (community course).  It's a 10 hole course.  That is the most interesting community courses I've ever seen.  A lot of fun.  Take a lot of balls.

Then, on Saturday, played 36 holes on The Pines at Prairie Club.  What an awesome course.

That combined with 18 holes Thursday night for my regular Men's League is 84 holes in 3 days.  Two of those on very tough courses.  I'm worn out and sore .  

But....what a fun weekend.

• Plus1 2
19 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Spent the weekend in Valentine.  Friday played 30 holes at Fredrick Peak (community course).  It's a 10 hole course.  That is the most interesting community courses I've ever seen.  A lot of fun.  Take a lot of balls.

Then, on Saturday, played 36 holes on The Pines at Prairie Club.  What an awesome course.

That combined with 18 holes Thursday night for my regular Men's League is 84 holes in 3 days.  Two of those on very tough courses.  I'm worn out and sore .  

That's an epic golf week(end)! :thumbs

That's the way I want to go out...overdose on golf. But not until I am like 85 or something :funnyhahah

1 minute ago, DevoHusker said:

That's an epic golf week(end)! :thumbs

That's the way I want to go out...overdose on golf. But not until I am like 85 or something :funnyhahah

Have you ever played The Pines?  I believe hole 18 is the toughest hole and most intimidating hole on the course.  As the 36th hole played, I could barely swing the club.  It was all I could do to not totally embarrass myself in front of everyone sitting on the patio watching.

I love that course.

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Have you ever played The Pines?  I believe hole 18 is the toughest hole and most intimidating hole on the course.  As the 36th hole played, I could barely swing the club.  It was all I could do to not totally embarrass myself in front of everyone sitting on the patio watching.

I love that course.

I have not. Some buddies and I had a reservation for earlier this year, but had to cancel. Then, when I looked into later, they were booked. 

4 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I have not. Some buddies and I had a reservation for earlier this year, but had to cancel. Then, when I looked into later, they were booked. 

Hole 18 is a par 5 with a lot of ways you can get into trouble if you have a bad drive.  Then, if you're not a really long hitter, your second shot is a lay up before a sharp dog leg left.  Then, it's an elevated green protected by sand in front and crap off to the left.  The green sits right in front of the club house where everyone is having drinks in the evening after golf and watching people come in.  It's an awesome view as you approach the clubhouse.

Of course, I was playing with a 28 year old that crushes it off the tee. He has 170 yards into the green and hits the flag stick on his second shot......and I'm just struggling to swing the club.  :facepalm:

13 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Hole 18 is a par 5 with a lot of ways you can get into trouble if you have a bad drive.  Then, if you're not a really long hitter, your second shot is a lay up before a sharp dog leg left.  Then, it's an elevated green protected by sand in front and crap off to the left.  The green sits right in front of the club house where everyone is having drinks in the evening after golf and watching people come in.  It's an awesome view as you approach the clubhouse.

Of course, I was playing with a 28 year old that crushes it off the tee. He has 170 yards into the green and hits the flag stick on his second shot......and I'm just struggling to swing the club.  :facepalm:

Good info, thanks.

And, the bold is about enough to make me break out in a cold sweat...lol 

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I really want to make a trip to play the Prairie Club.  I follow them on Twitter and it looks like an amazing 2 courses up there.

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I really want to make a trip to play the Prairie Club.  I follow them on Twitter and it looks like an amazing 2 courses up there.

We were really trying to get up there this summer but their booking policy makes it ... difficult.

They hold everything for their members until 30 days out.  Which is fine.  But then you can't see the days that are open on their web page.  You have to request something then wait to hear back.  I suppose if you called in it would work better but who does that???

But I've since found out that one of my friends has a membership so I'll go about it a bit different next year.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

We were really trying to get up there this summer but their booking policy makes it ... difficult.

They hold everything for their members until 30 days out.  Which is fine.  But then you can't see the days that are open on their web page.  You have to request something then wait to hear back.  I suppose if you called in it would work better but who does that???

But I've since found out that one of my friends has a membership so I'll go about it a bit different next year.

Do you guys need anyone else in your friend group? :D

• Oh Yeah! 2
  • 5 weeks later...