Golf

• 1 month later...

I've never seen it explains - or depicted - quite like this:

As we just outlined, when a ball is rolling downhill, it’ll roll slightly farther than its uphill equivalent. That’s what makes under-reading a breaking putt the worst-possible mistake: Not only is every inch the ball rolls going to leave you with a longer distance on your next putt, you’re going to get unfairly punished for even a slight under-read of your putt, and unfairly rewarded for an over-read mistake.

All because of the wonders of gravity. It’s there to help you or hurt you, depending on how you use it. Take all the help you can get on the course, even if it means utilizing factors far outside of your control. So if you think a putt is going to break left, aim more right than you think. Always err on the side of playing more break: You’ll be happy you did.

ZCPXr9F.png

• Plus1 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was thinking about this today. I bought a new driver (which I love). I know a number of guys that bought new clubs. 

It would be interesting to have a tournament where everyone has to play clubs from 20-30 years ago, before all the over sized drivers and cavity backed irons and specialized shafts…etc  were a thing. 

I was very late to this and played steal heads (small heads) up until just 10 years ago. I got new irons just two years ago that made a big difference. 

Heck, I’d love to go try to play with hickory sticks. 

• Plus1 2
14 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I was thinking about this today. I bought a new driver (which I love). I know a number of guys that bought new clubs. 

It would be interesting to have a tournament where everyone has to play clubs from 20-30 years ago, before all the over sized drivers and cavity backed irons and specialized shafts…etc  were a thing. 

I was very late to this and played steal heads (small heads) up until just 10 years ago. I got new irons just two years ago that made a big difference. 

Heck, I’d love to go try to play with hickory sticks. 

I am not the biggest Tiger Woods fan, but the way he hit the ball so flush with the equipment from the 90s is what enabled him to dominate the Tour.  He hit it so pure, that he was able to take a much harder swing and not fear the ball going way off line.  Most of the Tour players were swinging "under control" and not going all out because they didn't know where the ball would go when they mis-hit the ball.  He was also able to control his spin so well, that it enabled him to play with a higher spin ball.  When the bigger drivers, more forgiving irons (still blades), and the 2-piece ball (Titleist ProV1) came out, it helped even the playing field more. The next generation of kids grew up knowing they could swing out of their shoes and not be penalized too much with an off-center contact, and that's when the distance explosion and more athletic players came into the Tour.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I am not the biggest Tiger Woods fan, but the way he hit the ball so flush with the equipment from the 90s is what enabled him to dominate the Tour.  He hit it so pure, that he was able to take a much harder swing and not fear the ball going way off line.  Most of the Tour players were swinging "under control" and not going all out because they didn't know where the ball would go when they mis-hit the ball.  He was also able to control his spin so well, that it enabled him to play with a higher spin ball.  When the bigger drivers, more forgiving irons (still blades), and the 2-piece ball (Titleist ProV1) came out, it helped even the playing field more. The next generation of kids grew up knowing they could swing out of their shoes and not be penalized too much with an off-center contact, and that's when the distance explosion and more athletic players came into the Tour.

Yes.

I was talking more about a local tournament.  Everyone at our level now has all this technology.  It would be interesting to see how guys would hit with old technology.

• Plus1 2
13 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yes.

I was talking more about a local tournament.  Everyone at our level now has all this technology.  It would be interesting to see how guys would hit with old technology.

Yes, fair comment about the new technology for the average/novice golfer.  It has made things "easier" for the average golfer.  I got new irons last spring after playing irons from the early 2000s.  I hit my new irons so much better, but I think what the average golfer realizes is that the "new irons" are much stronger lofts than what were played 10-20 years ago.  That's a marketing tactic for club manufacturers to say "Hey, you are hitting this new 7-iron 15 yards further".  No crap, that new 7 iron is basically an old 5-6 iron.  I compared all of my new iron lofts to my old irons and it was a 1-2 club difference throughout the set.  

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yes, fair comment about the new technology for the average/novice golfer.  It has made things "easier" for the average golfer.  I got new irons last spring after playing irons from the early 2000s.  I hit my new irons so much better, but I think what the average golfer realizes is that the "new irons" are much stronger lofts than what were played 10-20 years ago.  That's a marketing tactic for club manufacturers to say "Hey, you are hitting this new 7-iron 15 yards further".  No crap, that new 7 iron is basically an old 5-6 iron.  I compared all of my new iron lofts to my old irons and it was a 1-2 club difference throughout the set.  

Interesting.  I had forgotten about that.

How many guys could play well without their hybrids?

• Plus1 1