Signed - QB Patrick O'Brien

Treand3

I like this kid better than the other QB commit, just my opinion, but I don't know if either of them are 'the guy'. O'Brien threw 12 TDs and 11 interceptions his Jr. season. He'll have to improve significantly his senior season and RFR year to be the guy we need to compete with Ohio State and Michigan State.

Thanks for posting those stats. Good to know.

I like this kid better than the other QB commit, just my opinion, but I don't know if either of them are 'the guy'. O'Brien threw 12 TDs and 11 interceptions his Jr. season. He'll have to improve significantly his senior season and RFR year to be the guy we need to compete with Ohio State and Michigan State.

Yup.....he probably won't make any improvement between his junior and senior year........

I mean this kid only offers from Colorado St, Colorado, Texas Tech, and UNLV.

This kid is a reach. He isn't tucked away in Montana where college coaches don't get to watch him. He's in California. So, unless Mike Riley has noticed something in this kid that coaches from the SEC and Pac-12 haven't noticed, he's a reach. Let's hope this is another example of the staff seeing something in a recruit that most other coaches around the country aren't seeing.............

We're Nebraska fans, we deserve recruits with better rankings.........No need to watch the film.............

Riley and Company Recruiting > Bo and Company Recruiting

I know what you are trying to say but Bo and Company landed a 3 star QB in Armstrong and a high 3 star (maybe a 4 star?) in Stanton. Plus Riley and company hasn't recruited anyone to Nebraska better than Bo did at any given year.

Right now we have 6 commits. One 4 star and 5 3 star. 3 of which committed to Bo in the first place. Tell me how that is better than Bo at this point?

I know what you are trying to say but Riley and Co had to essentially re recruit most of the last class as well as recruit the current players to stick with the team so essentially he recruited the same players as Bo and co to a certain degree. I think, I have been drinking since Thursday nite. :wasted
Jarvis dropping knowledge from the bottom of a brown bottle. +1

Yup.....he probably won't make any improvement between his junior and senior year........

This kid is a reach. He isn't tucked away in Montana where college coaches don't get to watch him. He's in California. So, unless Mike Riley has noticed something in this kid that coaches from the SEC and Pac-12 haven't noticed, he's a reach. Let's hope this is another example of the staff seeing something in a recruit that most other coaches around the country aren't seeing.............

We're Nebraska fans, we deserve recruits with better rankings.........No need to watch the film.............

At this point, we're not going to get those recruits with better rankings. Nebraska is a program that has spent the better part of the last 14 years being mediocre at best, and has a new coaching staff that hasn't had a chance to prove itself yet. If we offer the guys that the SEC and Pac-12 are going after, there's a 99.9% chance that they aren't going to take the offer seriously because they want to go to a school where they can be a winner, and the schools that are already winning want to recruit them so they can keep on winning. Why waste time and effort on guys who wouldn't have any interest in going to Nebraska? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that we shouldn't go after anybody who's worth a damn at all, but the reality of our situation is that high school QBs who want to eventually play in the NFL aren't looking at Nebraska, so our talent pool is whatever's left over after the SEC and Pac 12 get their pick. Maybe if Riley, Langsdorf, et al. can prove that they can develop QBs into NFL prospects (something Nebraska hasn't had since... well, ever) then maybe we can start looking at the upper-echelon HS quarterbacks. In the meantime, Wilson and O'Brien are right about in our wheelhouse, though.

• Fire 2

Did I say he wasn't going to improve?

You seem fine with the lack of recruiting offers from local schools with our recent recruits. Must be the kool-aid flowing.

Where has all the kool-aid drinking gotten Nebraska the last 15 seasons?

• Fire 1

There's a good reason he was under the radar last year even in California.

He came into his first year of highschool as a 6'0 170 lb. linebacker who also played baseball at a school that went 0-10 the year before he arrived.

He then grew 3 inches, put on 50 lbs. quit baseball and moved to QB.

The kid can make all the throws, he can run well enough to be dangerous and he is highly coachable.

He needs to work on his arm strength a bit but otherwise the one weakness he seems to have is that he sometimes loses his feet when throwing on the move outside the pocket.. and even then he's already comparable if not slightly more accurate than our last 4-5 starters have been in that area.

• Fire 3

There's a good reason he was under the radar last year even in California.

He came into his first year of highschool as a 6'0 170 lb. linebacker who also played baseball at a school that went 0-10 the year before he arrived.

He then grew 3 inches, put on 50 lbs. quit baseball and moved to QB.

The kid can make all the throws, he can run well enough to be dangerous and he is highly coachable.

He needs to work on his arm strength a bit but otherwise the one weakness he seems to have is that he sometimes loses his feet when throwing on the move outside the pocket.. and even then he's already comparable if not slightly more accurate than our last 4-5 starters have been in that area.

Good info. Thanks. But I think his arm strength is just fine. He seems to be able to are all of the throws necessary.

Rumor has it that Danny Langsdorf wanted this kid partly because of his name.

Phone conversation:

Langstorf to wife: "Sorry honey, don't wait up for me. I'm going over some new moves with O'Bryan again."

/JK :lol:

Any chances it's on tv? I know it used to be when it first started?

Competing in the Elite 11 semi-finals this weekend.

They've added a semi-final round from when Stanton competed in 2012. Then they invited the top guys (30???) to the Elite 11. Now they have a semi-final round from which the finalists get chosen.

Competing in the Elite 11 semi-finals this weekend.

They've added a semi-final round from when Stanton competed in 2012. Then they invited the top guys (30???) to the Elite 11. Now they have a semi-final round from which the finalists get chosen.

Sounds to me like he ends up being a 5.7 3 star