Treand3

Signed - QB Patrick O'Brien

I definitely want to make sure Wilson is also getting some love, but I am stoked about Patrick O'Brien committing to NU. I know the highlight film will show some of his best plays, but that alone shows his technique and throwing motion (even on the run) is better than any QB starter we've had since 2009. I think he can be very special at NU, and given he's still relatively new at the QB role, it looks like there is huge upside.

Kudos to Langsdorf and Riley for setting their target of having both these QBs early and then building a class around them.

I definitely want to make sure Wilson is also getting some love, but I am stoked about Patrick O'Brien committing to NU. I know the highlight film will show some of his best plays, but that alone shows his technique and throwing motion (even on the run) is better than any QB starter we've had since 2009. I think he can be very special at NU, and given he's still relatively new at the QB role, it looks like there is huge upside.

Kudos to Langsdorf and Riley for setting their target of having both these QBs early and then building a class around them.

Agree. They are both excellent qbs. I'm excited about both. They have a little bit different skill set, but they both ball. The competition and learning for each other will make them both much, much better.

Imagine how much they are going to be pushing each other. When one is of the field, he will see the other perform. That will drive them to greatness.

• Upvote 1

Thinking back to the last time an NU coach recruited two great QB's with different skill sets. One a better runner but a good passer and the other a great passer with decent running skills. 1990 possibly?

I don't want to get roasted for this but I have to say it:

I don't get it. I hope he proves to be the next great Husker QB if he even ends up here, but looking at the same stuff all of you are going nuts for right now, I have to say........we don't see the same thing. The guy needs some work and he better figure out that there is more WR's than just the primary. He also better learn that there is two sides of the field divided by hash marks. This kid only plays on half the football field.

He is only in high school so there is time. He's obviously not going to be a polished QB at this point.

Don't necessarily disagree but the guys who are capable of consistently working past their 2nd progression aren't coming to Nebraska, at least not yet. More impressed with what the guys been able to do with limited time at position.. And if there is anything positive to take away from him forcing it to the first progression is he has the arm strength to get it there.. Probably won't be able to get away with that at the next level but he seems to have the physical tools

POB said he basically knew after his visit he was going to choose Nebraska but wanted to make it a surprise. Committed to Langsdorf when Langsdorf visited him today.

Says he's done with recruiting and he's not going to de-commit.

• Upvote 3

Riley and Company Recruiting > Bo and Company Recruiting

I know what you are trying to say but Bo and Company landed a 3 star QB in Armstrong and a high 3 star (maybe a 4 star?) in Stanton. Plus Riley and company hasn't recruited anyone to Nebraska better than Bo did at any given year.

Right now we have 6 commits. One 4 star and 5 3 star. 3 of which committed to Bo in the first place. Tell me how that is better than Bo at this point?

• Upvote 4

Something tells me Nebraska got a total steal in signing O'Brien. Can't wait to see this guy compete. Even though I know a highlight reel isn't always a guarantee of future success the way he throws the ball is still totally encouraging at the same time.

I know what you are trying to say but Bo and Company landed a 3 star QB in Armstrong and a high 3 star (maybe a 4 star?) in Stanton. Plus Riley and company hasn't recruited anyone to Nebraska better than Bo did at any given year.

Right now we have 6 commits. One 4 star and 5 3 star. 3 of which committed to Bo in the first place. Tell me how that is better than Bo at this point?

I know what you are trying to say but Riley and Co had to essentially re recruit most of the last class as well as recruit the current players to stick with the team so essentially he recruited the same players as Bo and co to a certain degree. I think, I have been drinking since Thursday nite. :wasted

• Upvote 2

It's only a highlight reel, but his is the first guy that to me throws like a real quarterback. If the staff can bring him along we absolutely got a steal

I think you're right about him being a steal. No attention was given to him in the past because he was equally focused on baseball but now he is invested in becoming the best FB player he can be and it's starting to show. The little I know about highlight reels could fill a thimble but to me a reel vs quality competition is worth a lot more than Class C football. He plays in a very competitive SoCal League.

I like this kid better than the other QB commit, just my opinion, but I don't know if either of them are 'the guy'. O'Brien threw 12 TDs and 11 interceptions his Jr. season. He'll have to improve significantly his senior season and RFR year to be the guy we need to compete with Ohio State and Michigan State.

from Maxpreps.com:

Cody Kessler's JR year (Bakersfield, CA): 10 TD, 7 INT

Connor Cook's JR year (near Akron, OH): 9 TD, 14 INT

Braxton Miller's JR year (Huber Heights, OH): 9 TD, 6 INT

Tommy's JR year(Cibolo, TX) : 13 TD, 1 INT

• Upvote 2

I like this kid better than the other QB commit, just my opinion, but I don't know if either of them are 'the guy'. O'Brien threw 12 TDs and 11 interceptions his Jr. season. He'll have to improve significantly his senior season and RFR year to be the guy we need to compete with Ohio State and Michigan State.

Thanks for posting those stats. Good to know.

Yup.....he probably won't make any improvement between his junior and senior year........

I mean this kid only offers from Colorado St, Colorado, Texas Tech, and UNLV.

This kid is a reach. He isn't tucked away in Montana where college coaches don't get to watch him. He's in California. So, unless Mike Riley has noticed something in this kid that coaches from the SEC and Pac-12 haven't noticed, he's a reach. Let's hope this is another example of the staff seeing something in a recruit that most other coaches around the country aren't seeing.............

We're Nebraska fans, we deserve recruits with better rankings.........No need to watch the film.............

I know what you are trying to say but Riley and Co had to essentially re recruit most of the last class as well as recruit the current players to stick with the team so essentially he recruited the same players as Bo and co to a certain degree. I think, I have been drinking since Thursday nite. :wasted
Jarvis dropping knowledge from the bottom of a brown bottle. +1

I must say #Nebraska may have the 2 most underrated, quality QB's in the 2016 class. Terry Wilson and Patrick O'Brien are both very good.

-Tom Luginbill

Yup.....he probably won't make any improvement between his junior and senior year........

This kid is a reach. He isn't tucked away in Montana where college coaches don't get to watch him. He's in California. So, unless Mike Riley has noticed something in this kid that coaches from the SEC and Pac-12 haven't noticed, he's a reach. Let's hope this is another example of the staff seeing something in a recruit that most other coaches around the country aren't seeing.............

We're Nebraska fans, we deserve recruits with better rankings.........No need to watch the film.............

At this point, we're not going to get those recruits with better rankings. Nebraska is a program that has spent the better part of the last 14 years being mediocre at best, and has a new coaching staff that hasn't had a chance to prove itself yet. If we offer the guys that the SEC and Pac-12 are going after, there's a 99.9% chance that they aren't going to take the offer seriously because they want to go to a school where they can be a winner, and the schools that are already winning want to recruit them so they can keep on winning. Why waste time and effort on guys who wouldn't have any interest in going to Nebraska? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that we shouldn't go after anybody who's worth a damn at all, but the reality of our situation is that high school QBs who want to eventually play in the NFL aren't looking at Nebraska, so our talent pool is whatever's left over after the SEC and Pac 12 get their pick. Maybe if Riley, Langsdorf, et al. can prove that they can develop QBs into NFL prospects (something Nebraska hasn't had since... well, ever) then maybe we can start looking at the upper-echelon HS quarterbacks. In the meantime, Wilson and O'Brien are right about in our wheelhouse, though.

• Upvote 2

Did I say he wasn't going to improve?

You seem fine with the lack of recruiting offers from local schools with our recent recruits. Must be the kool-aid flowing.

Where has all the kool-aid drinking gotten Nebraska the last 15 seasons?

• Upvote 1

Solid debate surrounding QB recruitment and play. However, to stay on topic, I moved that conversation to its own thread. If you are looking for it (or your missing posts), here is the link.

• Upvote 2

There's a good reason he was under the radar last year even in California.

He came into his first year of highschool as a 6'0 170 lb. linebacker who also played baseball at a school that went 0-10 the year before he arrived.

He then grew 3 inches, put on 50 lbs. quit baseball and moved to QB.

The kid can make all the throws, he can run well enough to be dangerous and he is highly coachable.

He needs to work on his arm strength a bit but otherwise the one weakness he seems to have is that he sometimes loses his feet when throwing on the move outside the pocket.. and even then he's already comparable if not slightly more accurate than our last 4-5 starters have been in that area.

• Upvote 3

There's a good reason he was under the radar last year even in California.

He came into his first year of highschool as a 6'0 170 lb. linebacker who also played baseball at a school that went 0-10 the year before he arrived.

He then grew 3 inches, put on 50 lbs. quit baseball and moved to QB.

The kid can make all the throws, he can run well enough to be dangerous and he is highly coachable.

He needs to work on his arm strength a bit but otherwise the one weakness he seems to have is that he sometimes loses his feet when throwing on the move outside the pocket.. and even then he's already comparable if not slightly more accurate than our last 4-5 starters have been in that area.

Good info. Thanks. But I think his arm strength is just fine. He seems to be able to are all of the throws necessary.

Rumor has it that Danny Langsdorf wanted this kid partly because of his name.

Phone conversation:

Langstorf to wife: "Sorry honey, don't wait up for me. I'm going over some new moves with O'Bryan again."

/JK :lol:

Competing in the Elite 11 semi-finals this weekend.

They've added a semi-final round from when Stanton competed in 2012. Then they invited the top guys (30???) to the Elite 11. Now they have a semi-final round from which the finalists get chosen.

Any chances it's on tv? I know it used to be when it first started?

They've added a semi-final round from when Stanton competed in 2012. Then they invited the top guys (30???) to the Elite 11. Now they have a semi-final round from which the finalists get chosen.

Sounds to me like he ends up being a 5.7 3 star

List of QBs competing at the Elite 11 Semi-Finals in LA this weekend

Pretty impressive list. QBs committed to Miami, Texas, Clemson, Stanford, Michigan State, Texas Tech, Georgia, LSU, Oregon, Tennessee, Florida State, Oklahoma, TCU, Mississippi, Michigan (Peters) and Penn State among others plus three uncommitted four star guys. Not sure how much we'll find out other than who makes the Finals but it will be interesting to hear some of the reports.

I don't remember Beck but Stanton was a finalist, leading the competition after a couple days and finished about 8th.

I think Gabbert was for sure, and Hildenbrand.

Wow, look at that list of QBs, and how many of them are already committed. Kind of lets you know what this staff was up against in building this year's core class over the last 4 months.

Very happy they got their 2 QBs and hope they can keep them with us while they continue burning rubber on the trail.

• Upvote 1

Beck was there in 2003

Never know about that thing

In Becks group 7 of 11 transferred- like Beck didnt do really well

Lets hope hes not another Beck/Stanton

Didn't Stanton miss most of one day to attend a 7v7 tourney with his HS teammates? I also thought I read he was very impressive up until he left but when he returned he had a shaky series.

doesn't matter what happened to be offered and to do well in these things are a great start and obviously say that the invitees have sort of talent... maybe politics play into everything but i am stoked on the fact the guy is getting love..... then he gets the USC/oregon/UCLA/Alabama/Michigan offer and decommits two weeks before signing day....

Didn't Stanton miss most of one day to attend a 7v7 tourney with his HS teammates? I also thought I read he was very impressive up until he left but when he returned he had a shaky series.

Yeah, he missed most of the day and dropped in the standings.

The Elite 11 experience offers quarterbacks the opportunity to compete with the best arms in the country. It also allows them to get coached up and work with some of the best quarterback engineers in the country. One of the instructors working with the talent this weekend is George Whitfield who has been the private quarterback coach of the likes of Jameis Winston, Ben Roethlisberger and Cam Newton. He talked with 247Sports about some of his Saturday impressions.

On the guys that stood out the most to him through two workouts:
"From an overall performance standpoint there's four guys that separated themselves from the pack just from being overall refined: Shea Patterson, Malik Henry, Jarrett Guarantano and Dwayne Haskins.
"There's a couple guys that are lurking and as soon as they get a chance it's going to be really scary: Felipe Franks has an awful lot of potential. KJ Costello at Stanford, he's right there pushing and I was pretty impressed with (Patrick) O'Brien, more impressed than I was on film."
Whitfield elaborated on what he liked out of Nebraska commit Patrick O'Brien:
"He has a competitive indifference to some of the dudes that are out there battling with him. They make a shot, there's a whole lot of rah-rah and he comes back and makes another shot. O'Brien was fun to watch."

Also, I didn't see it but supposedly they were talking to Trent Dilfer about the results of whatever test they gave the players that is supposed to test football IQ and Dilfer said POB was "off the charts."