Signed - QB Patrick O'Brien

Treand3

Callahan recruited how many QB's to Nebraska? How many of them made it in the NFL?

Callahan's expertise is with the OL but I think he had a reasonably good track record and ran a nice pro-style. He made hay with Zac Taylor and Ganz, but he only had four years here -- three with any QBs he could find on his own, and one with QBs not named Zac Taylor, about whom there can be no complaints whatsoever. He did OK stockpiling the position, and had he not been fired 2008 would have seen Ganz, Lee, Witt, and Gabbert...with another recruit for the next class who probably would not have been Cody Green. Though, Green was Watson's guy and he loved him.

It didn't really work out for them, but you could say this while they were here. It's no guarantee it will work out for Riley and Langsdorf, either. Watson was a pretty darn good coach of quarterbacks. I was disappointed and worried about the position when he left, so I'm very happy Langsdorf is here. But this is a case of getting back something we had before. Similar to the screen game, probably, also something Callahan did well.

The key difference maker is going to be personnel. Langsdorf has a very young QB room which may have a gem in there, we don't know yet. And with 2 QB recruits this class and 1 in every class thereafter (most likely), they will definitely be going after this position. Whether they take care of it better than Watson and Callahan in the past remains to be seen. Certainly they'll need to.

• Fire 2

Callahan recruited how many QB's to Nebraska? How many of them made it in the NFL?

Callahan's expertise is with the OL but I think he had a reasonably good track record and ran a nice pro-style. He made hay with Zac Taylor and Ganz, but he only had four years here -- three with any QBs he could find on his own, and one with QBs not named Zac Taylor, about whom there can be no complaints whatsoever. He did OK stockpiling the position, and had he not been fired 2008 would have seen Ganz, Lee, Witt, and Gabbert...with another recruit for the next class who probably would not have been Cody Green. Though, Green was Watson's guy and he loved him.

It didn't really work out for them, but you could say this while they were here. It's no guarantee it will work out for Riley and Langsdorf, either. Watson was a pretty darn good coach of quarterbacks. I was disappointed and worried about the position when he left, so I'm very happy Langsdorf is here. But this is a case of getting back something we had before. Similar to the screen game, probably, also something Callahan did well.

The key difference maker is going to be personnel. Langsdorf has a very young QB room which may have a gem in there, we don't know yet. And with 2 QB recruits this class and 1 in every class thereafter (most likely), they will definitely be going after this position. Whether they take care of it better than Watson and Callahan in the past remains to be seen. Certainly they'll need to.

Zac Taylor coaches QBs for the Miami Dolphins. Does that count?

Callahan had zero effect in getting any QB's into the NFL. There is no comparison between Riley and Callahan. Period.

Gabbert would not have been at Nebraska even if Cally was retained.

Take it for what it's worth, but I recall reading here that Gabbert was open to coming even after Cally was fired because Watson was retained. Who knows how it would've shaken out in the end (we remember the Tyler Gabbert saga, after all, but the Gabberts loved Watson) -- but nonetheless, Bo was moving on and opted for Kody Spano. Who probably had some good potential before he really tore up his knees.

Anyway, the point is the QB room was being stockpiled fairly well, especially given what it had been just four years prior.

Callahan wasn't a college head coach, yes, so he didn't send NFL QBs to the pros. He did coach them in the pros, though, and ran a pro-friendly offense. He ran an all-out recruiting effort that will take work for Riley & co to match. And don't forget, he had a pretty darn good QB coach working with him in Watson.

Not to put a damper on it all. Just being real. And a reminder that just having these things (recruiting, NFL draw) doesn't always mean success, but of course it's better to have them than to not.

You can't make this stuff up... Sounds like ASU has gotten pretty serious about him... Sounded like he expects an offer from them soon.

He is going to meet with USC on Friday, almost like a deal or no deal meeting. He said he thinks he'll either get offered, or they will go their seperate ways. USC offer would be "huge" for him.

Has also been in contact with UCLA, they like his film, want to see him throw in person.

Oddly enough, he visited Northwestern already, and they didn't offer. Want to come and see him throw. The way he worded it, almost sounded like if they would've offered on his visit there...he may have verbally committed...(just my opinion on that)

Is excited to get to Lincoln on May 10th. Likes our depth chart and our offense. Knows Langsdorf/MR track record with developing QB's.

• Fire 1