Looks like the strength coach is pushing the players hard

The last staff had video of players carrying each other on their backs as part of conditioning. Incredibly stupid. You have one of the best strength and conditioning centers in the world, and you work out like a 3rd world team with no access to any facilities.

That was like a one week military-esque team-building thing. It wasn't part of their regular training.

I know right!? That's why I can't wait until Obama hits the road. Here we Americans have the most expensive, high-tech military in the world and we train our Combat Soldiers like the South Sudanese Coast Gaurd with no access to the ocean...

:sarcasm

Sounds like the actual games will be the vacation part of the week.

Can't remember the exact player, but it was from the late Osborne era. He said that practices were so hard and downright vicious, the actual games were like a break. That always stuck with me the last few years when everybody seemed to be "tapping out' after two or three plays.

• Fire 2

Sounds like the actual games will be the vacation part of the week.

Can't remember the exact player, but it was from the late Osborne era. He said that practices were so hard and downright vicious, the actual games were like a break. That always stuck with me the last few years when everybody seemed to be "tapping out' after two or three plays.

He was a O linemen, 1997. I am stump at the moment of his name but he said it was not that we had better athletes, conditioning was the key. I do remember that.

Not to be a downer, but I'm always a bit leery of "this is the hardest we've ever worked in the offseason" reports though. It seems every year the workouts are "harder than ever" and the players are "in the best shape of their lives".

Yeah, but players puking is kind of the gold standard for a really intense work out. :funnyhahah

Not to be a downer, but I'm always a bit leery of "this is the hardest we've ever worked in the offseason" reports though. It seems every year the workouts are "harder than ever" and the players are "in the best shape of their lives".

Yeah, but players puking is kind of the gold standard for a really intense work out. :funnyhahah

Maybe they are just really out of shape?

Maybe I haven't been playing close enough attention, but I honestly don't remember much of this in recent years. I remember quite a bit of it before the 2009 season, and it showed on the field. I think there was probably a bit of complacency since then, and it showed on the field.

Dobsen is a smart man when it comes to S&C but is a horrible coach of it. Liked to be more of a CEO type instead of a hands-on type. Philipp is the exact opposite and would rather be hands-on and teach the kids proper movements and why they do them instead of saying do it and sit back and watch.

Dobsen is a smart man when it comes to S&C but is a horrible coach of it. Liked to be more of a CEO type instead of a hands-on type. Philipp is the exact opposite and would rather be hands-on and teach the kids proper movements and why they do them instead of saying do it and sit back and watch.

Its pretty apparent at this point that Bo hired his buddies rather than people really qualified so its not shocking that Dobson wasn't all that great

• Fire 1

I won't question Dobson's qualifications. I think he was plenty qualified, but something just seemed amiss with S&C the last few years. The stories of him being "hands-off" and relying on an honor system probably explain it.

The honor system thing is almost unbelievable, but so was the idea of player meetings not starting on time.

• Fire 3

A player mentioned Dobson was more powerlifting and strength while Philip is more high rep cardio bs. Which if true IMO IMO would be the worst case scenario decision. Running the guys this hard I see no value in it especially this early. IMO they need to be eating like hogs and lifting as heavy as possible. Squats bench cleans and presses. Conditioning can come closer to fall.

A player mentioned Dobson was more powerlifting and strength while Philip is more high rep cardio bs. Which if true IMO IMO would be the worst case scenario decision. Running the guys this hard I see no value in it especially this early. IMO they need to be eating like hogs and lifting as heavy as possible. Squats bench cleans and presses. Conditioning can come closer to fall.

Okay, well it's obvious whatever Dobson was doing, was NOT working. Let's give the new guy a shot. Sounds like the players are loving it, so I would definitely question your sources. Curious if YOU added the BS line, or if that was the players words. The key is getting bigger and stronger, there are LOTS of ways to do that. From what I read, it wasn't "running" that they were doing.

According to other posters or sources, Dobson wasn't even making sure guys were doing their workouts, so I'll take my chances with Phillip.

Yeah I'm sure since Boyd Epply is overseeing things that can't be true. I know you are just passing info along but a coach that has been at USC for S&C and also a college player and also still carries around some mass on him isn't doing Pilates and showing Richard Simmons exercise techniques

Yeah I'm sure since Boyd Epply is overseeing things that can't be true. I know you are just passing info along but a coach that has been at USC for S&C and also a college player and also still carries around some mass on him isn't doing Pilates and showing Richard Simmons exercise techniques

I about died right there.

I'm sure those comments were from Mauro Bondi.