Looks like the strength coach is pushing the players hard

I think the issues with our Oline lately have been more schematic and the teaching of such schematic than anything. When you look at Wisconsins Oline, yeah theyre huge, as is every other great oline. But man, they just work so well together as a 5 man team. Whether it be zone schemes, traps, etc. theyre so fluid in everything they do and nothing catches them off guard. And that comes with a mentality and a swagger, and NOT turning guys loose on inside gaps and starting every drive with a false start.

Does our Oline need to be a little bigger, stronger, quicker etc? Sure. It'd never hurt. I just dont think it's the most pressing issue right now with that unit. Good solid fundamental football and doing on a consistent basis is first and foremost. You dont have to run guys over to get the job done these days. In this day of spread out fast paced football, and playing in space, really the main thing you need to do is determine your job and get in someones way.

I agree. The last year or so they have been better on the penalty situation than they were there for a while. But, if you look at the MSU game (for instance), they weren't working together at all and that allows for missed blocks...etc. Many times when someone isn't sure of themselves or isn't using the right technique, it appears they re weak. In reality, if they know exactly what they are supposed to do and are trained in it well, the physical strength is there to do it.

Maybe he isn't focusing on power lifting now because that was all they were focusing on under Dobson, without ever focusing on flexibility. So they probably want them to be more balanced before they start power training. More can work on getting stronger and more flexible at the same time, but they are probably putting more of an emphasis on flexibility because they never had before.

Maybe he isn't focusing on power lifting now because that was all they were focusing on under Dobson, without ever focusing on flexibility. So they probably want them to be more balanced before they start power training. More can work on getting stronger and more flexible at the same time, but they are probably putting more of an emphasis on flexibility because they never had before.

To say they never worked on flexibility before would seem like a blatant misrepresentation.

To say they never worked on flexibility before would seem like a blatant misrepresentation.
True, but it does sound like it wasn't as big of an emphasis as it is to the current staff.

Hedley please. Powerlifting has more in common with football that track and field does. Count if anything takes you 3 hours that would be what I consider least optimal.

You need a mix amigo. I know you just want to have big bulky strongman that can't move playing football but that isn't how it works

Hedley please. Powerlifting has more in common with football that track and field does. Count if anything takes you 3 hours that would be what I consider least optimal.

You need a mix amigo. I know you just want to have big bulky strongman that can't move playing football but that isn't how it works

Troof.

There are a lot of explosive/power muscle groups that get worked with high intensity cardio type exercises. From day 1 Phillip said most lifts guys will be doing will be from a standing position. I get it bench is important, but it's better to incorporate bench press movements while you're standing and moving. I don't think we want our men laying down and bench pressing the other team.

And, sh#t a lineman doing lunches and squats is actually lifting several hundred lbs of his body weight - he's just doing it in fast motion.

Troof.

There are a lot of explosive/power muscle groups that get worked with high intensity cardio type exercises. From day 1 Phillip said most lifts guys will be doing will be from a standing position. I get it bench is important, but it's better to incorporate bench press movements while you're standing and moving. I don't think we want our men laying down and bench pressing the other team.

And, sh#t a lineman doing lunches and squats is actually lifting several hundred lbs of his body weight - he's just doing it in fast motion.

Ground based. That was Boyd's big emphasis and enlightenment 30 some years ago. Do everything ground based. Good point on the lifting part. That's why squats and cleans are so effective. They make the whole body work in unison instead of focusing on one muscle as you would on a machine.

• Fire 1

I just watched the BTN broadcast of the Spring Game, and Damon Benning and the other guy were saying the coaches want road-grader types on the O Line. That doesn't sound like we're solely focusing on agility to the detriment of strength. That's me just passing info, so I'm not trying to contradict anyone.

He made it seem like Cav values explosiveness, first and foremost, to build those road-graders. Which seems to be in line with the changes in S&C.

If Dobsen focused on power and strength, then he done a sh**ty job because we have had some of the weakest players go through the combine in the last 6-7 yrs. Sure we had a few exceptions but when your RB puts up more reps then your lineman, then there is an issue. Like I said, Dobsen is a smart man but a sh**ty coach.

Eh I disagree. Until I have side by side year to year comparisons I can't really say they have become bigger faster or stronger. Just my opinion. Gbr93 google linear progression and how to add serious muscle and get back to be. It will not include running more. Hate to hurt your feelings.

That's just it. If you would have looked and paid attention to what the players have even said. A metabolic circuit includes zero running. What it does is put every lift on a certain time schedule. For example, you have a certain amount of time, say 80 minutes to complete all of your reps and sets. Squat, bench, deadlift, rows, curls, pull downs, what ever lifts you want to incorporate are all on a schedule. You finish your set in 20 seconds instead of 30, then you get a little longer to rest before your next set. However, you take a minute then you have to go straight into your next set. It forces your body to perform under extreme conditions. That's why they were saying they were so tired, not because they were running, but because their lifts, sets, and reps, we're so fast-paced you can't catch your breath.

Eh I disagree. Until I have side by side year to year comparisons I can't really say they have become bigger faster or stronger. Just my opinion. Gbr93 google linear progression and how to add serious muscle and get back to be. It will not include running more. Hate to hurt your feelings.

That's just it. If you would have looked and paid attention to what the players have even said. A metabolic circuit includes zero running. What it does is put every lift on a certain time schedule. For example, you have a certain amount of time, say 80 minutes to complete all of your reps and sets. Squat, bench, deadlift, rows, curls, pull downs, what ever lifts you want to incorporate are all on a schedule. You finish your set in 20 seconds instead of 30, then you get a little longer to rest before your next set. However, you take a minute then you have to go straight into your next set. It forces your body to perform under extreme conditions. That's why they were saying they were so tired, not because they were running, but because their lifts, sets, and reps, we're so fast-paced you can't catch your breath.

You sure we weren't just jogging on the treadmill like lux said?