Ron Brown to Liberty (FCS)

To bring us up to speed..

In light of Brown's previous comments, a faculty group at Youngstown State called for the president and the coaches -- who have to attend some kind of diversity training every year anyway -- to make use of an awareness program educating school administrators about the LGBT....etc community. The goal is so that they can better understand the issues at hand and be better equipped to handle students in their charge who might be in that category. For some reason, this seems to be outrageous to some people. But heck, universities are just getting up to speed on how to deal with women's issues and sexual assault that occurs on their campuses.

This is just something where there's a real gap in universities' understanding and ability and it's to the detriment of many until that gap is bridged.

Do you consider Bo's actions to be consistent with the values that Coach Brown preaches about and claims to espouse?

But Brown did not hire Bo, it was the other way around. Brown didn't need to approve of Bo. He may have felt he could help influence him for the better, though. Or maybe he just wanted to keep working in football and that was his opportunity at the time.

Entirely possible. But I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people who preach the importance of living one's life by certain values to others to live their own lives by those same values. Coach Brown worked with Pelini daily for years. He was exposed to the type of crap we heard in that audio tape on a regular basis for at least the last few years. And I don't recall him saying or doing anything about it. When Pelini got the Youngstown job, Brown was ready and willing to follow him there. If that's not a tacit endorsement of Pelini's behavior and coaching methods, I don't know what would be. If Pelini's behavior isn't contrary to Brown's claimed values, I don't know what would be. And if that doesn't make Brown appear to be a complete hypocrite, I don't know what would.

You're clueless on this tfree. Better think about why TO was not wrong in working under BD. And about why TO kept McBride all those years and why he hired and kept Bo.

You're comparing Devaney and McBride to Bo? And I'm clueless?

I was disappointed in Ron Brown when he followed Bo to Youngstown. In my view, that amounted to a sort of endorsement of Pelini's actions...as Pelini basically tried to burn the place down on his way out the door. I found it hypocritical that Brown preaches Christian values and then turns a blind eye toward Pelini's deplorable behavior. I'm a fan of Coach Brown, but found that choice to be inexplicable and indefensible.

How do you know he turned a blind eye? You're putting RB on a pedestal that is unjust. What does Christian values have to do with Pelini deplorable behavior and his decision to coach under him? Also, Why is it bad for him to coach under Bo at a program that would allow him to speak his mind, but it's not even worth mentioning that a university, that you follow, shut him up because he is an outspoken Christian? The same one that allows professors to preach their agnostic, atheist, etc. views on students?
Do you recall Coach Brown publicly disagreeing with the way Bo conducted himself? Me neither.

There's nothing wrong with asking why a preacher's actions are completely inconsistent with what he claims to believe. Pelini is a psychotic douchebag who tried to burn the place down on his way out of town. Rather than objecting to that and distancing himself from Pelini, Brown talked about what a great and loyal guy he is and followed him to his next gig. In my view that makes Coach Brown a complete hypocrite. I like the guy...but it is what it is.

Haha burning the place down is a pretty out there suggestion. What action did RB make that he's not following?

I guess I don't agree and even understand why RB should make any comment publicly in regards to Bo, but he did, and he addressed your exact thought in his interview with Sipple when it was announced he'd be following Bo. For someone who was in the middle of the fallout and being fired himself, and not wanted at the university he coached at for nearly 24 years, I'm going to guess there is much more to behind the scenes than any of us are privvy too. And by your logic, everybody is a hypocrite for the company they keep.

Do you consider Bo's actions to be consistent with the values that Coach Brown preaches about and claims to espouse?

I'll ask you again in another form, what Bo actions go against Brown's preaching?

Really seems like you're playing coy with the comparison of Bo to Devaney and McBride and completely ignoring the context of Sargon's post, or are you actually clueless to their demeanors?

You're clueless on this tfree. Better think about why TO was not wrong in working under BD. And about why TO kept McBride all those years and why he hired and kept Bo.

I was disappointed in Ron Brown when he followed Bo to Youngstown. In my view, that amounted to a sort of endorsement of Pelini's actions...as Pelini basically tried to burn the place down on his way out the door. I found it hypocritical that Brown preaches Christian values and then turns a blind eye toward Pelini's deplorable behavior. I'm a fan of Coach Brown, but found that choice to be inexplicable and indefensible.

How do you know he turned a blind eye? You're putting RB on a pedestal that is unjust. What does Christian values have to do with Pelini deplorable behavior and his decision to coach under him? Also, Why is it bad for him to coach under Bo at a program that would allow him to speak his mind, but it's not even worth mentioning that a university, that you follow, shut him up because he is an outspoken Christian? The same one that allows professors to preach their agnostic, atheist, etc. views on students?
Do you recall Coach Brown publicly disagreeing with the way Bo conducted himself? Me neither.

There's nothing wrong with asking why a preacher's actions are completely inconsistent with what he claims to believe. Pelini is a psychotic douchebag who tried to burn the place down on his way out of town. Rather than objecting to that and distancing himself from Pelini, Brown talked about what a great and loyal guy he is and followed him to his next gig. In my view that makes Coach Brown a complete hypocrite. I like the guy...but it is what it is.

Haha burning the place down is a pretty out there suggestion. What action did RB make that he's not following?

I guess I don't agree and even understand why RB should make any comment publicly in regards to Bo, but he did, and he addressed your exact thought in his interview with Sipple when it was announced he'd be following Bo. For someone who was in the middle of the fallout and being fired himself, and not wanted at the university he coached at for nearly 24 years, I'm going to guess there is much more to behind the scenes than any of us are privvy too. And by your logic, everybody is a hypocrite for the company they keep.

I'll ask you again in another form, what Bo actions go against Brown's preaching?

Really seems like you're playing coy with the comparison of Bo to Devaney and McBride and completely ignoring the context of Sargon's post, or are you actually clueless to their demeanors?

Devaney and McBride had some anger issues and cursed a decent amount. I have no issue with that behavior, so long as it doesn't distract them from coaching. The issues with Bo were far more serious. He was a complete cancer, who was actively trying to turn the team against the university, the fans, the state, etc. that's the problem with him, not merely some cursing.

Look, my comment was not meant to bash LBGT efforts for acceptance. It's just some of the names of these groups and councils and the fact that they're treated as being so important. It's probably just me being a dick but don't people have better things to do? I guess I come off a little callous because I already accept these people and I just feel many of these things hold back their cause and treat them as being unequal. If everyone would ignore the differences, there wouldn't be the need to recognize differences....I guess that's where I'm at with it.

And you can spare me the lecture about how they are still discriminated against. I realize there are still people that just don't get it. I just happen to be for ignoring them rather than empowering their narrow mindedness by having to address it. Surely aren't those people in the minority today?

I agree with all of the above. If sexual preference shouldn't matter, then we shouldn't make such a big deal out of it.

The only problem is, we're not there yet.

Close. But not yet.

as long as we keep bringing it up, it will be a big deal, and people don't understand that.

Keeping it in the closet is worse, and it's actually not your decision.

swing and a miss, that's not what i meant and you bloody know it, i don't see the point of bringing up someones races or sexual orientation or percieved gender because it DOESN'T BLOODY MATTER, you treat everyone the bloody same.

I thought I was being extremely fair in agreeing with this line of thinking, while pointing out that we don't get to decide that discrimination is officially over, especially when it isn't. There are a lot of people who think we should stop talking about race because we have a black President, too.

When there's compelling evidence that everyone is treated the bloody same in this country -- or bloody England if that's where you're from -- we can shut up and concentrate on the question marks in Nebraska's offensive line.

• Fire 2

Bigotry on any level is just not acceptable. That doesn't matter if that bigotry is against race, gender, sexual orientation, religion or what ever....

It doesn't matter who brings it up or for whatever reason.

I have an employee who seems to think he needs to remind everyone how much he hates gays. He does this in the office and I have reacted to him in a way he should know how I feel. The next time he brings it up, he isn't going to like my response because he is going to be put right in his place. Quite frankly, it proves how small and ignorant he is.

Now, as far as Ron Brown goes, I respect the guy very very much. I respect his religious feelings. He has done some amazingly good work through his religion. I don't agree with his stance on the gay issue and actually think it hurt the larger picture of what he tries to do through his religion.

• Fire 1

Devaney and McBride had some anger issues and cursed a decent amount. I have no issue with that behavior, so long as it doesn't distract them from coaching. The issues with Bo were far more serious. He was a complete cancer, who was actively trying to turn the team against the university, the fans, the state, etc. that's the problem with him, not merely some cursing.

I disagree. He was a bad head coach, but he never turned the team against the university, state, and especially the fans. That's ridiculous. The only person that he tried stirring crap up against was SE, which was completely out of line, but even then those players lashing out were already upset at SE before Bo met with them.

Bo's parting message was that it was so hard here with the media and the Husker alums and the pressure, and it wasn't like that elsewhere. He said the new guy will probably come in here and say they need to change this, change that, but...He said he wants the best for his players and that this place made him miserable, so if they want to stick it out, great, but they should really consider if it's something they love and are happy doing, or if it's something that is sucking the life out of them just as it did to him.

No different than when Bo was not hired as head coach in 2003, and he turned to taking a dump on NU on the recruiting trail.

"He was cussing them, calling them a whole bunch of other stuff," Dillard said. LINK

(Pelini, for his part, denied it, calling Dillard bitter and a kid. He also said "I could care less about Nebraska, and I'm not going to bad mouth them." Kind of like he could care less about media criticism, I suppose. At least his usage is literal.)

--

Cursing is not a huge deal. Although you know what's more impressive? Intensity and passion in coaching without cursing.

I disagree. He was a bad head coach, but he never turned the team against the university, state, and especially the fans. That's ridiculous. The only person that he tried stirring crap up against was SE, which was completely out of line, but even then those players lashing out were already upset at SE before Bo met with them.

I think we've already established that Bo isn't Adolph Hitler (Hitler actually blitzed too often) and maybe cancer is a strong word, but it's not hard to trace Bo's thin-skin for any kind of criticism to a bunker mentality he established with his players: the only people that mattered were the people in the locker room. The outside world didn't understand. Not the fans, not the local media, not anyone who dared second-guess the team. It protected Bo with his players and gave them an excuse for their own poor performance in what was perhaps a poor strategic game-plan. I mean, Bo literally blamed fan expectation for the Wisconsin blowout last year. His rants were pretty clear on this subject. The Eichorst hate came late in the bridge burning process, and it would be really naive to think that Bo's parting shot to the players was the first time he trashed Eichorst in front of them.

• Fire 4

I'm just going to go ahead and call the victory for Ron Brown on this one considering the sparse, weak arguments against him. To all who want to carry on about Bo's cancerous thin skin, knock yourselves out. At least Bo's apparently not Hitler so we can all rejoice in that.

• Fire 1

I think we've already established that Bo isn't Adolph Hitler (Hitler actually blitzed too often) and maybe cancer is a strong word, but it's not hard to trace Bo's thin-skin for any kind of criticism to a bunker mentality he established with his players: the only people that mattered were the people in the locker room. The outside world didn't understand. Not the fans, not the local media, not anyone who dared second-guess the team. It protected Bo with his players and gave them an excuse for their own poor performance in what was perhaps a poor strategic game-plan. I mean, Bo literally blamed fan expectation for the Wisconsin blowout last year. His rants were pretty clear on this subject. The Eichorst hate came late in the bridge burning process, and it would be really naive to think that Bo's parting shot to the players was the first time he trashed Eichorst in front of them.

Yes, it could be considered naive to think that was the first time he spoke of Eichorst that way, but if I'm going to question someone's character or actions, it's going to be on facts, not assumptions. And even the points you make, I agree with, I primarily took exception to bagging on Ron Brown because through all of that crap that Bo did wrong, I don't agree that Brown is being a hypocrite for following Bo.