Randy Gregory to Cowboys - Suspended First Four Games

Reality is, probably 60% of NFLers smoke. Despite the rhetoric, testing is really light and easy to beat. But if you get caught once, you start getting tested on the regular so you pop a lot. I get that he should shape up and not use when he's on the radar, but it's pretty absurd that pot use carries such a heavy penalty.

You can claim he has character flaws or addiction or mental illness because he can't stop, but regardless of his reason, his use of a relatively harmless drug should not be costing him millions. Period, full stop.

CM do we know he's testing positive for pot only?

It's really unfortunate that the laws are the way they are regarding marijuana. I don't know Randy's situation at all, but the laws force people with mental illness to either take prescription medication produced in a lab, or take nothing and hope it goes away (it doesn't). Such prescription medication often have all kinds of side effects, which could negatively affect Randy's ability to prepare, train, and execute on the field. For many people, marijuana is a way to deal with such mental illnesses naturally with minimal side effects. I'm not defending Randy's decision to smoke again and again, but in his mind he may be able to justify smoking for not seeing the side effects of the prescription medication he is urged to take.

This is the very problem with today's thinking. It is never the individuals fault. Always something else caused it. He has to have some type of disorder.You make choices. His have not been very good. When does it stop? Well we need to help him. No I don't. No one needs to help him. He needs to help himself. We are getting too soft in this country, way to easy. Real life is not easy. You make choices and then you live by those choices.He knows right from wrong. He knows he has tests that he has to pass. He again has put his team in a bad position. This is nothing new.I want him to be the best he can be. But he needs to want that far more than me or anyone else. It seems he just wants to get high.

With all due respect, that's a pretty ignorant way of looking at it. Numerous reports have indicated since the run up to his draft that he struggles with mental health issues including depression and anxiety. Those are serious medical issues that affect decision making. This is a lot different situation than someone just getting high for fun or as a result of some character flaw. The guy has mental health issues. Let's hope he gets the help he needs.

as long as we are passing out excuses, what else you got? the Cows knew he had issues when they drafted him.....in fact, the Cows have a ton of problem children, they are the half way house of the NFL......and all the agents and players know that!

Cowboy fan here. Drafting/choosing players with issues is nothing new. Sadly. Jerry is the modern day Al Davis....

Reality is, probably 60% of NFLers smoke. Despite the rhetoric, testing is really light and easy to beat. But if you get caught once, you start getting tested on the regular so you pop a lot. I get that he should shape up and not use when he's on the radar, but it's pretty absurd that pot use carries such a heavy penalty.

You can claim he has character flaws or addiction or mental illness because he can't stop, but regardless of his reason, his use of a relatively harmless drug should not be costing him millions. Period, full stop.

CM do we know he's testing positive for pot only?

No, that's a good point. I meant to note that in the post.

My comments are predicated on this only being pot related, though short of pEds, which is a different discussion, I feel about the same way.

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...