Randy Gregory to Cowboys - Suspended First Four Games

I have never been to an NFL game or practice or anything, but this video bothers me. It's not the fact that the players got into a scrum either. Sometimes that stuff happens in football. It's the fans at this practice who seemed to be elated about the whole thing and were cheering them on to fight that really bothers me.

I have never been to an NFL game or practice or anything, but this video bothers me. It's not the fact that the players got into a scrum either. Sometimes that stuff happens in football. It's the fans at this practice who seemed to be elated about the whole thing and were cheering them on to fight that really bothers me.

You think that is bad, I went to a 7-9 year old pee wee football game last year. This thing was 11 on 11, full tackle football. There were a couple of "big hits", but nothing major. But, when those "big hits" happened, the parents on the sidelines were jumping around, yelling, and cheering like it was a college or NFL game. I know football is a violent game, but those were small kids. Makes me glad that my kid shows no interest in playing football. I don't mind a violent game, but the way some parents act out there is despicable.

Football by nature is a violent sport. This doesn't surprise me at all. It's not, maybe, the best thing to come out of football, but it's understandable.

The shot on Gregory was cheap, but on a 1-10 scale it was probably a three or four. The blindside Rams #93 throws on Cowboys #83 is worse, and leads to the pile-up at the end.

Gotta wonder how many millions of dollars are tied up in that dog pile. Many, many millions, I'm thinking.

You think that is bad, I went to a 7-9 year old pee wee football game last year. This thing was 11 on 11, full tackle football. There were a couple of "big hits", but nothing major. But, when those "big hits" happened, the parents on the sidelines were jumping around, yelling, and cheering like it was a college or NFL game. I know football is a violent game, but those were small kids. Makes me glad that my kid shows no interest in playing football. I don't mind a violent game, but the way some parents act out there is despicable.

Big hits are apart of the game and is what makes it exciting. That is why people cheer at them, same with fights that happen. Just look at hockey. I don't see anything wrong with cheering on a big hit or a rumble. Don't take this the wrong way but people that get upset about big hits and fights are probably the same that push for everyone to get their hands raised whether they win or lose.

Big hits are apart of the game and is what makes it exciting. That is why people cheer at them, same with fights that happen. Just look at hockey. I don't see anything wrong with cheering on a big hit or a rumble. Don't take this the wrong way but people that get upset about big hits and fights are probably the same that push for everyone to get their hands raised whether they win or lose.
I understand big hits are a part of the game. It was weird seeing parents of young children react that way for a "big bit". I find nothing wrong with competition and winning & losing. It's just weird to me to celebrate the violence of a sport at that young age. It's just not for me.

Last I checked fighting was not a part of football. Inflicting physical violence upon another person with the intention of injuring or causing bodily harm should not be condoned or celebrated. This is not hockey, boxing, mma or whatever else. It is football, and in football violence is done in a more civilized way. Don't get me wrong, I love a big hit as much as the next guy, but when a fight breaks out, that's too much.

I understand big hits are a part of the game. It was weird seeing parents of young children react that way for a "big bit". I find nothing wrong with competition and winning & losing. It's just weird to me to celebrate the violence of a sport at that young age. It's just not for me.

I agree here. I am going to start my sons out in flag football when they get old enough. If they are lucky and their mother lets them, they may be able to put on pads in high school.

I agree here. I am going to start my sons out in flag football when they get old enough. If they are lucky and their mother lets them, they may be able to put on pads in high school.

Well, if they are going to play, they will at least play tackle football in middle school.

Our town actually starts flag football in 3rd and 4th grade. In 5th and 6th grade they start tackle football. But, honestly, I don't remember any "big hits" at that age. Heck, they are so small and cumbersome with their pads just trying to grab ahold of the other kid is tough enough.

Player I saw and really liked: Randy Gregory, defensive end. I wrote about the rookie from Nebraska, the 60th overall pick because of college baggage, while visiting Dallas camp. Dallas drafted Gregory hoping he might become a Jason Taylor-type, a lithe pass-rusher who could grow into an every-down 4-3 end. The early signs for Gregory are good. Off the field, he’s done what smart rookies. “I have not heard a word out of him,’’ said Tony Romo. “He just comes in and works. He understands what’s got to do to be good.”

• Fire 1
Randy Gregory secures Cowboys' early departure home

Coach Jason Garrett laid a wager on the table for the players before the final team period of practice. If one of six players – three offensive linemen, three defensive linemen – caught a Chris Jones’ punt, then practice would end and the Cowboys would get on a plane a day earlier for Texas.

Gregory was the first pick and caught Jones’ punt, falling to the ground but good enough to set off a small celebration.

Has Gregory returned punts before?

“For a touchdown, yeah, actually, in high school or middle school,” Gregory said. “I used to play running back my whole life until about my sophomore year, when they switched me to tight end and wide receiver and defensive end. So I’m kind of used to having the ball in my hand. It’s a little bit different now.”

As Gregory spoke to reporters, he had the ball in his hands, but not as a trophy. He just forgot he had it.

• Fire 3

3. Randy Gregory The Cowboys seemed to have found themselves quite a player with this second-round pick. And they knew all along his talent far exceeded the 60thoverall selection. But if he was projected to be a top-10 player, Gregory showed that and then some here in camp and the preseason. He didn’t beat Tyron Smith all the time, but he won a few. And for a rookie entering this league, that’s a great start. He took his practice performance to the games where he recorded a sack in each of his first two preseason games. The Cowboys are used to having success with the No. 94 jersey, and this year was no exception.

• Fire 1