Gregory or Abdullah. Who has the better NFL career?

What think ye, Huskerboard?  

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No question, if I were to bet on this, I'd put my money on AA. Work ethic, smarts, no off the field issues. Along with that, I think he is one hell of a back that can have a heck of a career.

Gregory just has way too many issues. Sure, the Cowboys can put a personal guard/babysitter with him. But, how long is that going to last? What if he does OK with the Cowboys but they want to trade him or put him in free agency in a few years? What other team is going to be willing to babysit him that much?

No question, if I were to bet on this, I'd put my money on AA. Work ethic, smarts, no off the field issues. Along with that, I think he is one hell of a back that can have a heck of a career.

Gregory just has way too many issues. Sure, the Cowboys can put a personal guard/babysitter with him. But, how long is that going to last? What if he does OK with the Cowboys but they want to trade him or put him in free agency in a few years? What other team is going to be willing to babysit him that much?

I think it's possible he can mature and become more responsible with time.

If he can't start making it to practices and meetings on his own in a few years, yeah, he's probably not going to last long.

They're not going to hold his hand through the entire process. The whole point is to teach him to be accountable.

It's ultimately going to be up to him if he succeeds or not.

I like the situation for both of these guys. Perfect offense for Ameer. Good depth chart situation. My assumption is he's a day 1 starter, and a long time starter. He'll thrive.

Randy will have every opportunity to succeed in Dallas. They have one of, if not the best, support progrums in place to help troubled players like this.

He'll have to try really hard to get in trouble.

On the football side of it, I don't think there's a better coach for him than Rod Marinelli. Like I said before, if that guy can't get the most out of Gregory, no one can. I just hope Marinelli sticks around for a couple more years.

The support and coaching will be there, the rest is up to him.

I think they're both going to be star players.

If you mean by having "the best support system" for Randy you really mean that they turn a blind eye while they do coke and prostitutes in a Dallas hotel, then I agree with you. The only advantage the Cowboys have for Randy is that they don't care if you smoke weed or are a crack head as long as you produce. I hope he pulls his head out of his ass and gets his life strait and has a great career with someone other than the cowboys. But I don't think he will have the support needed especially if it is true that he is asking Irvin to be his mentor. Can there be a worse mentor than that crack head? [/size]

Okay, so the whole failing a drug test he knew was coming was pretty stupid and definitely a big mistake. No doubt about it. Guys that age make some bad decisions sometimes. We all did.

Still, how come so many of you here keep judging the kid as if you are somehow superior to him? As if you're perfect.

Now here in your comment, you're to even talking about this single incident, you've determined his head is up his ass and his life is a mess. What information are you using to determine that this guy needs to get his life straight? He just got done playing football for the Huskers, an elite program, and now he is a second round draft choice to the Dallas Cowboys. Seems like the guy is doing okay so far. He smokes weed, whoop dee f'ing doo. He made a mistake, he should have out the pipe down for a month before that test came around. It cost him some money for sure. He's still gonna make more money than you or I this year.

Sounds to me like he's making an effort to be the best he can be. However he goes about that is up to him ultimately. He's young. He's got time to work on things and figure stuff out.

Because you haven't read the rest of the thread where it isn't just weed, he has a coke problem and likes to disappear for days on end. If it was just a weed issue, he still would have been a first round pick. Nobody is going to take a chance on someone who skipped out on three interviews with NFL teams when millions were at stake. He has some serious addiction issues that he must take care of first before he can worry about football. And nobody is judging him, stop being so sensitive. Nobody wants him to fail, but as I just stated, he needs to get past his deamons or his abilty to pressure the QB will be irrevelant.

Oh and Nebraska hasn't been an elite program since Tom retired and Frank put the program in the toliet.

I keep reading that Gregory skipped three interviews, apparently is a cokehead and is slangin weed out the back door of Memorial Stadium but I have yet to see/hear this from a single credible source. Is there any actual proof behind this or is this all just rumor/speculation? Obviously there's something else going on besides the weed problem but I would like to see/hear all this from someone credible.

Back to the OP, I would say Abdullah, as I think he's more NFL ready. I see Abdullah being a Darren Sproles type player and think he will be well utilized in Detroit. Gregory is still a little undersized, with past injury issues, all added in with whatever else is going on, makes him too much of a question mark.

Abdullah will have a great career at Detroit. I see him as the Lions #1. He is what they wanted out of Bush all along. Joique Bell will continue to play 2nd fiddle. Abdullah will contribute a LOT to that offense. I expect to see Stafford to Abdullah passes on check downs often. Go AA! :)

I'm more worried about Randy Gregory, the functioning adult than Randy Gregory the successful football player right now.

This isn't about the cocaine rumors, true or not. Not about the pot, either. Doesn't look like a situation that's easily turned around, and sudden riches are probably the worst thing for him.

I'm rooting for RG. Pass rushers are in higher demand than running backs, and he appears to have rare talent.

But if I'm betting my own money, it goes to the guy who has done everything in his power to get better at everything.

I think we can move past trying to insinuate Randy lacks character and work ethic.

Dealing with a mental disorder is different than being a bad person or a lazy person.

Obviously it's going to be more of a challenge for Randy than it is for . . . almost everyone else who was drafted.

I'm not going to lecture anyone on the intricacies of bipolar disorder, I don't know the first thing about it.

But we can stop being shitheads about it and just hope he can get the help he needs, and celebrate the fact he's even willing to face this uphill battle.

It's not going to be easy.

Nobody anywhere is reporting that Gregory had/has a cocaine problem. I think when The Dude was asking for sources up there, a source on that allegation would have been most helpful.

I've been trying to search for a source on this, and have had no luck whatsoever. I'm not buying it.