Triceps advice

I'm wondering how much I should work on triceps and which exercises if the only thing I care about is increasing the big three (so bench press) and working up to a pullup.

Right now I do the following:

Tricep extensions

Skullcrushers

Dips

Close grip press

Other stuff for pullup:

Assisted pull up

Lat pulldowns

and I'm going to start doing reverse pullups or whatever it's called when you jump up to get your chin above the bar and fall as slowly as you can.

The key to beautiful arms lies in the triceps, many people think it's the biceps, but that's just not true. The good thing about the triceps is it's a smaller muscle group and easier to work. On your close grip bench press try doing some negative sets with that exercise. Bring it down for a 5 count and then straight up, then back down for a 5 count. 4 to 6 reps over 3 sets is harder than most people think if you've got the weight right. On your tricep pushdowns don't wrap your thumb around the straight bar, if that's what you're using. Instead keep your thumb at the top side of the bar. This will isolate the tricep even more and also make sure to change it up with tricep rope pushdowns. One of my favorite exercises is double overhead dumbbell tricep extension. Meaning you have heavier weight you're pushing with both arms. I do a lot of different tricep workouts and think it's my best muscle group.

On top of what BRI said, which is great advice, I absolutely love doing tricep pulldowns. It is basicly a tricep pushdown but revese your grip and pulldown instead. I do my arms individually and really flex you tris at the bottom of the lift.

• Fire 1

Triceps are king. Period. Triceps assist and effect a lot of lifts. When I work them I like to burn them up. Lots of super- sets and drop sets. Keep dropping weight til you can't push another rep. Focus on contracting the tricep each rep. A big defined tricep makes the whole upper arm and shoulder are look good.

Another technique you can use besides drop sets are rest pause sets. Basically you keep the same weight between sets, but say on the last two sets instead of taking a 1 to 2 minute break, you take a 15 second break and then get back after it still trying to get goal for your reps. Burns the hell out of things!

Also Moiraine, when you do close grip bench. Keep your elbows tucked to your side as much as possible. This will really puts the emphasis on your triceps and less on your chest. Space your hands where they are right over your shoulders, this will help to keep your elbows from flaring out. When I do them, I will unrack the weight and slowly bring it down to my chest, let it rest for a 3 count and then go back up.

Another technique you can use besides drop sets are rest pause sets. Basically you keep the same weight between sets, but say on the last two sets instead of taking a 1 to 2 minute break, you take a 15 second break and then get back after it still trying to get goal for your reps. Burns the hell out of things!

That was the method in the shortcut to size program. Yeah, that kills as well. Plus, you're not always changing the weight then if you don't like to do that constantly.

Did assisted pull ups today and I can only lift 45 pounds of my own weight. I'm thinking it'll be a year before I can do 1 pull up.

The first one is the hardest to get. From someone who started from scratch as well, just keep plugging away. I try to focus on squeezing my shoulder blades together while pushing my chest up and driving my elbows down. Try negatives, get up to the top position of a pull up however you can and hang there as long as you can fighting the lowering all you can as your muscles fatigue. Narrowing your grip can also help squeeze out a rep.

Also don't think of the back as one or two muscles it's not! You have to work it with many different excersises to hit various groups; BB rows, DB Rows, T bar rows, close grip pull downs, seated rows, wide grip pull down, pullups, chinups, rack chins. I pick 3 or 4 of these for my upper back days, and I also work rear delts and traps on shoulder days.

A favorite of mine I discovered a few months ago is rack chins. Look them up and if your gym has the equipment give em a try. I personally love them, I can really feel it in my lats and I feel like I have more control and stability than a regular pullup.

I'm wondering how much I should work on triceps and which exercises if the only thing I care about is increasing the big three (so bench press) and working up to a pullup.

Tricep extensions

Skullcrushers

Dips

Close grip press

Other stuff for pullup:

Assisted pull up

Lat pulldowns

and I'm going to start doing reverse pullups or whatever it's called when you jump up to get your chin above the bar and fall as slowly as you can.

What is your height weight age and numbers on the "big 3" right now?

Tricep extensions

Skullcrushers

Dips

Close grip press

Other stuff for pullup:

Assisted pull up

Lat pulldowns

What is your height weight age and numbers on the "big 3" right now?
Also ASL