Triceps advice

I'd just bench more and stay away from isolation stuff if one of your goals is to push your bench up.

Program in some of these too:

2 count paused bench

3 count paused bench

close grip bench

floor press

towel press (or board press or what have you)

standing overhead barbell press

I'm wondering how much I should work on triceps and which exercises if the only thing I care about is increasing the big three (so bench press) and working up to a pullup.

Right now I do the following:

Tricep extensions

Skullcrushers

Dips

Close grip press

Other stuff for pullup:

Assisted pull up

Lat pulldowns

and I'm going to start doing reverse pullups or whatever it's called when you jump up to get your chin above the bar and fall as slowly as you can.

What is your height weight age and numbers on the "big 3" right now?
Also ASL

:D

not answering first 3.

this week:

bench: 3x8 65lbs

deadlift: 3x6 165lbs

squat: 3x5 60lbs

*flexes rippling muscles*

I'm wondering how much I should work on triceps and which exercises if the only thing I care about is increasing the big three (so bench press) and working up to a pullup.

Right now I do the following:

Tricep extensions

Skullcrushers

Dips

Close grip press

Other stuff for pullup:

Assisted pull up

Lat pulldowns

and I'm going to start doing reverse pullups or whatever it's called when you jump up to get your chin above the bar and fall as slowly as you can.

What is your height weight age and numbers on the "big 3" right now?
Also ASL
:D

not answering first 3.

this week:

bench: 3x8 65lbs

deadlift: 3x6 165lbs

squat: 3x5 60lbs

*flexes rippling muscles*

I will assume your body weight is 140-160 and that you have just started lifting. You stated your goal is increasing the big three. I wouldnt even worry about accessory work for some time.

MWF

Warmup

Squats

Bench

Deadlift

3 work sets x 5 repetitions.

I would google madcows 5x5 and read into anything and everything you can find if you want to go the free route . oh and do some research on eating like a beast. After you have exhausted linear progression I would suggest the Texas Method or 5/3/1. Read up on tnation.com. Stumpys favorite site.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 years later...
On 5/19/2015 at 1:34 PM, Stumpy1 said:

On top of what BRI said, which is great advice, I absolutely love doing tricep pulldowns. It is basicly a tricep pushdown but revese your grip and pulldown instead. I do my arms individually and really flex you tris at the bottom of the lift.

Randomly stumbling across this old post I would just like to say that merely changing your grip from a pronated (overhand) to supinated (underhand) actually actives less of the long head of the tricep and therefore less overall tricep mass in general 

Variations I also like to do: 

JM press 

Skullcrushers with the curl bar from the floor (I like to add the fat grips to these but that’s just me) 

Football bar neutral grip presses 

27 minutes ago, Decked said:

Randomly stumbling across this old post I would just like to say that merely changing your grip from a pronated (overhand) to supinated (underhand) actually actives less of the long head of the tricep and therefore less overall tricep mass in general 

I think this is correct, but I personally like doing the underhand grip (one arm at a time) as an accessory movement to hit the smaller lateral head. For me, this really helps to complete the true horseshoe shape of the triceps. Of course this is after the bigger lifts (I like close grip bench and french press).

39 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Curl bar skullcrushers on the flat bench are my personal fave. Those murder my triceps.

I’ve found that it puts a lot of pressure on the elbows. I prefer to do them on an incline or from the floor with a pause at the bottom 

48 minutes ago, Ulty said:

I think this is correct, but I personally like doing the underhand grip (one arm at a time) as an accessory movement to hit the smaller lateral head. For me, this really helps to complete the true horseshoe shape of the triceps. Of course this is after the bigger lifts (I like close grip bench and french press).

If it’s working for you and you like to do it by all means go for it! The best workout plan or training system is one you like and that you’ll actually follow and look forward to busting your a$$ everyday 

10 minutes ago, Decked said:

I’ve found that it puts a lot of pressure on the elbows. I prefer to do them on an incline or from the floor with a pause at the bottom 

Oh yeah that definitely can happen. It usually happens to me if I let my form fail a bit or if I load too much weight onto the bar.

19 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Oh yeah that definitely can happen. It usually happens to me if I let my form fail a bit or if I load too much weight onto the bar.

Yep. I would rather do them from the floor or just throw chains on for tricep lockout.