... size an issue for Ross

One dream but different realities for local backs

By Jeff Legwold, Rocky Mountain News

February 27, 2006

INDIANAPOLIS - Things change.

Sun goes up. Sun goes down. One year ends, a new one starts.

And once upon a football time, Cory Ross was one of the biggest kids on the field.

"I was," Ross said with a laugh. "I was a guard, a pulling guard. One play I'd be blocking on the run, wiping people out and the next I'd be returning kicks, taking them to the house. But that's when I was bigger than everybody else. I'm not bigger than everybody else any more.

"Especially LenDale (White), that's my man. Hard to believe I was big like LenDale back in the day."

Oh, how things do change.

Ross and White, who played youth football together in Denver, were two of the 29 running backs who spent the weekend at the NFL's scouting combine, two of that accomplished list of runners who will see the two faces of this draft.

"That's definitely odd," White said. "That's just how it goes sometimes. It's about personnel and coaches, about the way things work out sometimes. But I think Cory, man, he's going to surprise people in this draft."

Making a big impression

On one side there is White, the guy Southern California coach Pete Carroll has called the "classic tailback." He was the part-time thunder to Heisman winner Reggie Bush's lightning in the Trojans' record-setting offense.

The 238-pounder was part of a star-studded galaxy in the huddle that included two Heisman trophies, two national championships and an appearance in a third title game over the past three seasons.

He is a two-time 1,000-yard rusher, and with 57 career touchdowns - 52 rushing - he is USC's all-time leader in that category after playing only three years. In short, in a draft full of smaller backs, White is the burly lug-the-rock, day-in, day-out runner who isn't expected to make it out of the first half of the opening round.

He will be one of those rare runners who will carry the ball far more in his NFL rookie season than he did in his last one in college.

"I still think I've got to convince people a little bit I can get in there and do it," White said. "Nothing is set in stone, you know. But I feel like I can take the ball and be the guy. I just didn't have that opportunity at USC with all of the other guys we had on offense.

"I feel good about where I'm at."

Don't shortchange Ross

Then there is Ross. A two-year starter at Nebraska, with one 1,000-yard season (1,102 yards in 2004), the former All-American at Thomas Jefferson is now trying to convince the NFL just to let him in.

At 5-foot-6, roughly 200 pounds, Ross was the shortest back invited to Indianapolis and one of the lightest. He was the smallest running back to start for the Cornhuskers since former coach Frank Solich played as a 5-7, 165-pound fullback in 1965.

"I know the scouts are looking at me like that," Ross said. "I can't really change that, but I came (to Indianapolis) just wanting to show them what I could do. We didn't have the shoulder pads on, we didn't have the helmets on, but I hope I showed them something. I was relaxed the whole time, I ran pretty well (4.53 seconds in the 40-yard dash).

"And I've still got some time to keep convincing people."

Scouts generally liked what Ross did this weekend, but unlike White, they see Ross as a situational player who also might have to make his way as a kick returner. In receiving drills Sunday, quarterbacks trying to catch the scouts' eyes sailed several passes over the leaping Ross' head as he ran routes.

But with Nebraska coach Bill Callahan having installed the same passing-heavy West Coast offense in Lincoln that he used to guide the Oakland Raiders to the Super Bowl, running backs coaches around the league said they have seen what Ross can do in an offense that is used by teams such as Tampa Bay, Philadelphia and Green Bay.

"I do think that can help me," Ross said. "Coach Callahan played us in the same offense he used (in the NFL). I handled the ball a lot. I blocked, I ran, I caught passes, I think I could bring something."

White, because of his status as a top-shelf pick and his desire to lose a little more weight before he runs a 40 for scouts, did not work out in Indianapolis and will go through his paces April 2 at USC's pro day. Nebraska will have his pro day March 8.

"That's almost two weeks," Ross said. "I'll keep working. There's still time."

"He's talented, he's always been that way," White said. "He's still talented; that isn't any different just because some people got bigger than he did. It's about talent and he's got talent."

LenDale White, Southern Cal

• Ht., Wt.: 6-0 3/8, 238 pounds.

• High school: South (two years), Chatfield (two years).

• Then: Rushed for 7,803 yards in prep career, then a state record that has since been broken, and played with a state champion at Chatfield.

• Now: Had back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons for the Trojans, 14 100-yard games and holds school records for rushing touchdowns in a season (24) and career TDs (59).

• Early draft projection: First round.

Cory Ross, Nebraska

• Ht., Wt.: 5-6, 200.

• High school: Thomas Jefferson.

• Then: All-America defensive back and was the player who followed Marcus Houston into the backfield at the school.

• Now: Had school record 37 carries in one game (2003 in Alamo Bowl) . Only player in Nebraska history to finish in the top 10 in both receiving and rushing.

• Early draft projection: Seventh round or free agent.

legwoldj@RockyMountainNews.com or 303-892-2359

Im sorry, but anyone who complains about him as a receiving target is an idiot.... He may not be as big a target as some of the other guys out there, but he was one of the best pure receiving backs I have seen play. He catches every ball in stride and is near impossible to tackle in the open field. It still brings a smile to my face when I remember that 75 yd td catch he had on a screen pass where he absolutely shattered a defenders ankle as he ran by.

he will play, but the scouts don't see enough raw speed or size to make him a power back like White....you got to have one or the other...preferably both to be taken in the top 3 rounds.....that being said he has lots of intangibles, but they rarely get you noticed and excellerated to the higher rounds...just the way it is...

hunter

Im sorry, but anyone who complains about him as a receiving target is an idiot.... He may not be as big a target as some of the other guys out there, but he was one of the best pure receiving backs I have seen play. He catches every ball in stride and is near impossible to tackle in the open field. It still brings a smile to my face when I remember that 75 yd td catch he had on a screen pass where he absolutely shattered a defenders ankle as he ran by.

:yeah

Ross is very fluid catching the football. That screen pass he caught against ISU was absolutely sick! One of the best runs I have ever seen in person. Heck of an athlete, heck of a competitor. He ran the 5th fastest 40 time of the running backs in his group, but who knows what that translates to. Hopefully he winds up with a team where he can contribute.

he will play, but the scouts don't see enough raw speed or size to make him a power back like White....you got to have one or the other...preferably both to be taken in the top 3 rounds.....that being said he has lots of intangibles, but they rarely get you noticed and excellerated to the higher rounds...just the way it is...

hunter

think about all the relatively small RB's in the nfl like warrick dunn. tell him that he he isnt exactly dominant in the size category but he still gets it done. there was a guy named smith who wasnt the biggest back in the world... barry sanders wasnt the biggest back in the world...

hunter

think about all the relatively small RB's in the nfl like warrick dunn. tell him that he he isnt exactly dominant in the size category but he still gets it done. there was a guy named smith who wasnt the biggest back in the world... barry sanders wasnt the biggest back in the world...

im not tryin to say cory ross is better than E. Smith and Barry Sanders, im just saying that they werent the biggest but had a bigger heart and would fight for what they wanted and i think Cory has the spirit.. he proved it in 2004 and to quote a former NFL coach and offensive coordinator, "he is the most complete back i have ever coached."