Nebraska goes 2 for 2 with QB targets

The article does mention that he originally wanted to pursue a career as a baseball pitcher, and has only recently fully committed to football. I hope he continues to improve.

It closed a furious month of attention from college programs. During the evaluation period, which started April 15, O’Brien threw for several teams, including Nebraska. USC and UCLA evaluated him and chose not to offer. Texas Tech, Colorado State and UNLV did offer.

The article does mention that he originally wanted to pursue a career as a baseball pitcher, and has only recently fully committed to football. I hope he continues to improve.

It closed a furious month of attention from college programs. During the evaluation period, which started April 15, O’Brien threw for several teams, including Nebraska. USC and UCLA evaluated him and chose not to offer. Texas Tech, Colorado State and UNLV did offer.

I think this bodes well. Both his coach and QB guru Steve Calhoun - who he's been working with - said his mechanics have gotten a lot better since he hasn't been switching back and forth to pitching.

* Not totally 2 for 2, we missed out on Peters to Michigan, but that's OK.

Yeah, it's understandable that they want the positive spin - and I'm talking the paper, not BRI - but it was really 2 for 5 (or so).

But I guess "We got the two guys we got" sounds better. Not complaining because I like these two but that's not exactly accurate.

• Fire 1

I think this bodes well. Both his coach and QB guru Steve Calhoun - who he's been working with - said his mechanics have gotten a lot better since he hasn't been switching back and forth to pitching.

Is there that much difference between the mechanics of a QB and a pitcher? Just curious.........

Is there that much difference between the mechanics of a QB and a pitcher? Just curious.........

Lots. Delivery speed means nothing to a pitcher, while a quick release is desirable in a QB. Release point doesn't matter that much to a pitcher as long as it doesn't result in arm trouble, while a QB who doesn't come over the top is going to have more balls batted down. A pitcher throws from the same place (places really, including the full windup and the stretch with men on base) while a QB must be able to set his feet properly under a rush, scrambling, switching to a second receiver, etc. I wouldn't think that pitching hurts QB mechanics other than wear on the arm and loss of time working on QB stuff. But it probably doesn't help any.

Yeah, it's understandable that they want the positive spin - and I'm talking the paper, not BRI - but it was really 2 for 5 (or so).

But I guess "We got the two guys we got" sounds better. Not complaining because I like these two but that's not exactly accurate.

I would say they went 2 for 2. They wanted to take 2 in this class and they got 2. The number of offers is insignificant.

I would say they went 2 for 2. They wanted to take 2 in this class and they got 2. The number of offers is insignificant.

I disagree. It's the difference between having 85 guys on the roster and having the best 85 guys you can get.

I agree with Mavric. Actually getting the top two would have been impressive and lucky. We still got "two of" the top targets, which shows both priority and success. Lots to feel good about. We can see why they'd call it 2 for 2.

I mean if that actually ever happens, it's once in a blue moon even for the top programs. Or it indicates your top two were snagged very early, or aren't very recruited.