QB Recruiting, Development, and Play Under Bo/Beck vs Riley/Langsdorf

I am very excited about the two QBs Riley and staff brought in!! They both seem to fit the system Riley has described, much like Bo got in his QBs. The biggest difference is Riley and Langsdorf have A very good tract record in developing Qbs, and Bo and Beck proved horribly that they cannot. I am still very excited to see what this staff will do for Armstrong and company.

Edited by Thanks_Tom RR
Moved this discussion to keep the Patrick O'Brien thread on topic.
  • Fire 1

I would take a look at the passing efficiency statistics for the two staffs over recent years before slamming the old staff for their QB coaching. That said, I am excited to see what the new guys can do with the talent we have on hand. I am especially happy to see that they appear to be putting some value on having a quarterback with some athleticism. This kid looks like a good prospect for a pass first QB that can still hurt you with his feet.

I would take a look at the passing efficiency statistics for the two staffs over recent years before slamming the old staff for their QB coaching. That said, I am excited to see what the new guys can do with the talent we have on hand. I am especially happy to see that they appear to be putting some value on having a quarterback with some athleticism. This kid looks like a good prospect for a pass first QB that can still hurt you with his feet.

I would not recommend trying to argue that the previous staffs were good developers of QBs. We haven't had a legitimate arm at Nebraska in years (could be recruiting or coaching). This isn't saying they haven't been capable, but they have not been anywhere near an NFL potential talent IMO.

I am also very excited about these two recruits and feared that this new staff would go completely away from athletic QBs. It will be fun to watch them develop.

And yet, in four out of the last five seasons, Taylor and Tommy put up equal or better passing efficiency numbers than OSU's NFL QB factory.

I am hopeful that access to better talents at NU, like this kid hopefully (and especially in supporting cast), will allow Riley and company to improve their QB results. I just find the bashing of the old staff unnecessary and strange given the clear track records.

• Fire 1

And yet, in four out of the last five seasons, Taylor and Tommy put up equal or better passing efficiency numbers than OSU's NFL QB factory.

I am hopeful that access to better talents at NU, like this kid hopefully (and especially in supporting cast), will allow Riley and company to improve their QB results. I just find the bashing of the old staff unnecessary and strange given the clear track records.

Riley is regarded as a QB guru. Beck is regarded as???? Riley makes better qbs. You can use your numbers etc. But the simple fact is Riley has produced more NFL roster QBs at OSU than NU in how many decades???

• Fire 1

I see what you are saying. I just disagree haha but I am not trying to bash the old staff, I was actually a huge fan of the old staff.

I think that having better talent will make a big difference for Riley. Talking negatively about our old staff's ability to develop a QB is completely warranted as far as I'm concerned, considering that if our QBs had any desire to improve, their only option was to train off-campus during the summer. It also doesn't help that Beck had such a tendency to put the game on their shoulders when the run game wasn't working instead of trying something different with the run game. Even if Taylor and Tommy's passing efficiency wasn't much different from what Riley's QBs were putting up, it was still for the most part (Taylor did have some stretches where he was actually hitting a decent percentage of passes, to be fair) not where we needed it to be.

• Fire 1

I see what you are saying. I just disagree haha but I am not trying to bash the old staff, I was actually a huge fan of the old staff.

I'll bash the old staff, Pelini made them play tight instead of loose and free. Some of our more athletic raw players were harped on the most and either quit - Tyler Moore, Afalava - or were kicked off the team - T Brown, etc. As much as a coach wants to coach all their players the same, some players need to be talked to differently to make that connection. Even All-Pro Lavonte David was criticized for his play. Many, not all, of old staff coached players down. Hard to say any QB was coached up, regardless of stats. And I too pulled for the old staff through last season.

Years of actual, on-field results can't exactly be dismissed or disagreed with. They happened. Everything else is window dressing. The simple fact is that OSU's QBs have generally not outperformed the QBs here that everyone has loved to harp on. The only question is whether we'll see better results from this staff, given better circumstances.

And to finish the sentence above, Tim Beck is...now coaching at the top ranked program in the nation. It will be interesting to see how his career progresses.

Tell me that is not true.

Riley is regarded as a QB guru. Beck is regarded as???? Riley makes better qbs. You can use your numbers etc. But the simple fact is Riley has produced more NFL roster QBs at OSU than NU in how many decades???
Let's at least be fair. Apparently Beck's good enough to land an OC/QB coaching gig for a team that just won the NC and has the deepest 3-deep at QB I've ever seen. I think we'll have more success under Riley/Langsdorf but I think that comes from them having a more clear vision as what they want the offense to look like and how they want it ran.

I'm sure Beck will do better coaching for a team that has QBs that can do more of what he wants to do offensively. I just always got the feeling he wanted our QBs to be something they're not, though.

Beck isn't calling plays at OSU

Is he basically just a QB coach who was given the title of co-OC just to have that title? I've seen several different answers as to what his responsibilities with regard to OSU's offense will be.

Our QB position is in much better hands than it has been in 7 years. While it isn't productive to bash the previous staff, it doesn't mean they weren't heavily flawed. When your head man has little experience with QB play as Bo was, your QB coach needs to make up for their shortcomings. Unfortunately for us that person wasn't seasoned enough to deal with developing or recruiting QBs effectively enough to a place like Nebraska. Darlington is the only kid that Meyer would have even recruited to run his system, and did for that matter. So maybe things were starting to get better...some. At least at Ohio State, Beck doesn't have to have all of the weight recruiting, developing and coaching sizable projects at QB like he did in Lincoln. Beck won't be responsible with the play calling on a play by play basis. He's very creative though.