Signed - S Tony Butler

Player: Tony Butler
Hometown: Lakewood, OH
School: St. Edward
Position: Safety
Height: 6’2”
Weight: 197 lbs
40 time:
Offers: Arizona St, Boston College, Bowling Green, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Miami, Minnesota, Nebraska, Purdue, Rutgers, Syracuse, Temple, Toledo, W Michigan
Visits: 12/12/15

O8n7o.png

Twitter

Rivals: #38 S; :star :star :star
247: #37 CB; :star :star :star
Scout: #37 S; :star :star :star
ESPN: #32 CB; :star :star :star

Hudl

• Upvote 1

Butler calls Nebraska a "big" offer. I like this offer. Narduzzi runs a similar defense to Banker. Michigan St has shown some interested but no offer, my guess is Dantonio is trying to not lampoon Narduzzi here.

https://twitter.com/TonyKnows2/status/606168486335946755

Lampoon means to criticize or ridicule.

I think you mean submarine, maybe?

• Upvote 1

Butler calls Nebraska a "big" offer. I like this offer. Narduzzi runs a similar defense to Banker. Michigan St has shown some interested but no offer, my guess is Dantonio is trying to not lampoon Narduzzi here.

airbag.gif

No idea what I was trying to say. Thanks for the save.

airbag.gif

No idea what I was trying to say. Thanks for the save.

In any case, that's quite a weakness that we'll be happy to exploit and jump into the running.

It would be very interesting to hear a true breakdown from a recruit about how these visits really go, how the coaches position their team and school, etc. Todd Graham has a lot of detractors, but he is certainly passionate and I could see a player and his parents buying in to what he's selling. But, I think the Husker staff can deliver a very similar message too, and I would imagine that parents would tend to be more impressed with Coach Riley than Graham.

Are we looking at moving him or developing him into a corner? We already have two safeties in the class and we have both Williams at safety along with Gerry and a few others from previous classes.(Antonio Read?) He wouldn't be a bad corner with that height but if we were recruiting him as safety are we going to move other safeties like Simmons the freshman to WR if we get him? If we land Tony is he a great corner or does he stay at S and would corner be a good spot for him.

Are we looking at moving him or developing him into a corner? We already have two safeties in the class and we have both Williams at safety along with Gerry and a few others from previous classes.(Antonio Read?) He wouldn't be a bad corner with that height but if we were recruiting him as safety are we going to move other safeties like Simmons the freshman to WR if we get him? If we land Tony is he a great corner or does he stay at S and would corner be a good spot for him.

Supposedly being recruited at all 3 DB positions... Meaning they have no idea where to put him until they get on the field

Supposedly being recruited at all 3 DB positions... Meaning they have no idea where to put him until they get on the field

It's called willing to put him where ever he fits. It's nice having both s player and staff that is open yo that.

It's called willing to put him where ever he fits. It's nice having both s player and staff that is open yo that.

Alright thanks for the info huskerhill and Bigredbuster :thumbs

I would think with all the safeties we recruit some will end up as WR like the FR Simmons, and the Juco Simmons(Markell?) may end up as a safety/ corner as well.

Said he liked the visit and we are in the top group with ASU and west virginia. Those were his final 2 and now we joined them. Coaches will in home visit him in january. Will be big since parents didn't come to official visit. He will be taking official visits to ASU and WV next

Also said he is good friends with dez and Reese and could see maybe all 3 playing together.

That would be awesome

Only awesome if its at Nebraska.
  • Upvote 1

Also said he is good friends with dez and Reese and could see maybe all 3 playing together.

That would be awesome

Only awesome if its at Nebraska.

Very true. I think we are the only school they are all 3 heavily considering

Too much smoke to not be a fire. Fitzpatrick is (in my eyes, at least) clearly committed to playing here (though not publicly) and is doing everything he can to get his friends to come with him.

To suddenly jump in on a prospect like this because of talks they have had together, and then for Tony to mention playing with Fitzpatrick and Reese - means that Fitzpatrick has talked with him at length about that possibility.

Too much smoke to not be a fire. Fitzpatrick is (in my eyes, at least) clearly committed to playing here (though not publicly) and is doing everything he can to get his friends to come with him.

To suddenly jump in on a prospect like this because of talks they have had together, and then for Tony to mention playing with Fitzpatrick and Reese - means that Fitzpatrick has talked with him at length about that possibility.

I agree. It seems like Fitzpatrick is basically committed without actually being committed.

It will be interesting to see which player commits first and when. Then, how the rest of the commits will fall.

Nebraska lean. May visit Arizona State but hasn't set up a date yet. If he doesn't visit, it'll be us.

We may start him off at Nickel while learning Safety for down the road.

I hope these three aren't the world's biggest trolls...

We are the only destination for all 3 aren't we?
Yes
The trio is pretty set on playing together now, whether it be Nebraska or else where. Nebraska is the leader for Bulter/Dez. We are right there with Reese and Dez is pushing hard.

From Husker Journal. We should get this kid. He really likes us.

DECEMBER 16 2015. ALL TEAMS MESSAGE BOARDS TONY BUTLER, 6-2, 200, SAF, LAKEWOOD (ST. EDWARD), OHIO

Butler visited Nebraska over the weekend and sounds like that's the place for him.

"It went well. I liked the campus really interesting place as well. The coaching staff is awesome. It's definitely a good system - I feel."

Living in Ohio, grew up in the Big Ten surrounds, is a big plus for Nebraska.

"I'm from Ohio, so the Big Ten is pretty good. Personally I'm in the Big Ten. It doesn't matter what conference for me there is going to be tradition at every school and Nebraska is definitely big. So, I would bring back championships and bring back the culture." Butler said

NU defensive back coach sees Butler as a top player.

"I know Brian (Stewart) pretty well. He's definitely a great guy, the coaching staff and everything. I definitely can grow as a player at Nebraska." Butler said

"I can play both (safety) positions. That was the big thing he (Stewart) was looking for. He said I could cover, he said I was one of those top priorities right now. So that was pretty neat. He said I have chance to play in the NFL." Butler said

Butler said he had a chance to talk to Head Coach Mike Riley. Thought he was a good coach. They had a good talk and he liked him a lot.

Education.

"No matter where I go I'm going to get my degree. That's definitely a plus. Definitely the higher the academics standards on my resume after football the better. Most schools have great tradition. A school like Nebraska is definitely good. After school I definitely have something to fall back on." Baker said

"They (Nebraska) are high in my list." He said.

Are they top on your list?

"Yes!"

cornhead.gif

Nice! Gotta hope this tips the scales in our favor!

Definitely going to need safeties who can cover in this defense. That's part of the reason Gerry had such issues adjusting at the start of the year-- he's just not a very skilled cover guy. More of a downhill safety.

Is that the same coach who is recruiting Lamar Jackson? Because that could definitely help us with him too, if thats the case.

Is that the same coach who is recruiting Lamar Jackson? Because that could definitely help us with him too, if thats the case.

One would assume since Chris Ball was the ASU safeties coach.

One would assume since Chris Ball was the ASU safeties coach.

Yea, I would guess so. None of the major recruiting sites list his main recruiters. Only reason I asked.

I'm not really worried about ASU with Lamar. It's more about if he visits Oregon. And keeping away USC/UCLA

I'm not really worried about ASU with Lamar. It's more about if he visits Oregon. And keeping away USC/UCLA

Sounds like its between us & UCLA.