Team USA Soccer

zoogs

• 1 month later...

• 2 months later...
8 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

Pulisic becomes the most expensive American transfer in history at $73 million with his transfer to Chelsea. 

I sure hope we can build off him. Tons of young talent on the team but with the new hire who knows what this teams identity will be. 

Crazy to think he is still only 20 years old. Will be 22 in the next world cup(if we make it) and 26 when the world cup is in Canada/USA/Mexico.

13 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

I sure hope we can build off him. Tons of young talent on the team but with the new hire who knows what this teams identity will be. 

Crazy to think he is still only 20 years old. Will be 22 in the next world cup(if we make it) and 26 when the world cup is in Canada/USA/Mexico.

Ya know I wouldn’t be surprised if by 2022 Weston McKennie is our best player. He’s having a great season at Schalke and has played multiple positions.

Some kind of older news but...

-Josh Sargeant was called up to Werder Bremen’s first team and scored a couple goals.

-Haji Wright was called up to Schalke’s first team and scored a goal off an assist from McKennie

-Disappointed in the Berhalter hire. 

3 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

Ya know I wouldn’t be surprised if by 2022 Weston McKennie is our best player. He’s having a great season at Schalke and has played multiple positions.

Some kind of older news but...

-Josh Sargeant was called up to Werder Bremen’s first team and scored a couple goals.

-Haji Wright was called up to Schalke’s first team and scored a goal off an assist from McKennie

-Disappointed in the Berhalter hire. 

I have never been so disconnected from USMNT news as I have been since we didnt make the World cup.

I am trying to get excited again but the Berhalter hire seemed weird at best. They did this year long search when they could have just hired him right away. No idea why you go through this horse and pony show to hire a local coach.

I dont know a ton about Weston but I will read up on him.

I know there is a TON of young talent. I do like the idea of a few of these guys playing together. Nick Taitague also plays for Schalke and while he hasnt played a ton, I think there is some hope there. 

We should learn more with the Gold cup happening this year. I hope they just go super young and work through the pain of that. I dont mind a few vets like Bradley making the team but would prefer to move past the Jozy Altidores. 

Also need to figure out who our goalie will be. 

8 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

We should learn more with the Gold cup happening this year. I hope they just go super young and work through the pain of that. I dont mind a few vets like Bradley making the team but would prefer to move past the Jozy Altidores. 

Also need to figure out who our goalie will be. 

Please no older guys especially Bradley. His legs are gone and we have plenty of experienced guys at centerfield. Zack Steffen will be the goal keeper IMO. Had already played some in Europe before his move to Columbus and is transferring to Man City. 

• 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Just some thoughts overall on this Gold Cup.

-Pulisic by far our best player. This team ran through him.

-Zardes shouldn’t suit up for the MNT anymore. He adds nothing from an attacking standpoint. Should’ve brought Sargent.

-No depth. Pretty clear Berhalter trusted no one off the bench. Losing Adams and Holmes hurt. Also the subs he brought in against Mex made no sense. Couldnt hold possession so we take out our best  #9 at hold up play and bring in Zardes who has a horrible first touch. Sub Roldan in for Morris when our best attacking winger was Boyd. Yes Boyd played bad against Curaçao, but Morris and Roldan we’re invisible vs Jamaica. Lastly a LB for a LB when you’re down a goal late? Cmon.

-Tbh I don’t really understand Berhalters philosophy. We’re playing 3 in the back on the attack so when an opposing team pushes their front line up to press we don’t have the numbers to out pass it and and end up turning it over. Seems like when we play from the back there’s nobody in the middle to support Bradley.  Also don’t understand why Pulisic is up with Altidore on defense. Are we a possession team or a counter attacking team?

-Time to start building for the 2022 WC. If things work out we’re going to be a talented but young team. I don’t know yet if Berhalter is the guy for the job.

Going to do a breakdown of our prospective 2022 WC team. If I miss someone let me know but this will be based mostly on opinion and if some of our younger guys can develop. It's hard to keep up with transfers and rising/falling players so some of the info may be wrong. Starting with goalies.

Goalkeepers:

Starters

1. Zack Steffen 24 Manchester City(CL)- On loan at Fortuna Dusseldorf

2. Ethan Horvath 24 Club Brugge(CL)

Backups

1. Bill Hamid 28 FC Midtyjlland(EL)- On loan at DC United

2. Tyler Miller 26 LAFC

3. Jesse Gonzalez 24 FC Dallas

4. Sean Johnson 30 NYCFC

Thoughts

Pretty much a 2 man race between Steffen and Horvath. Earlier last season Horvath lost his starting spot but won it back. Going to be interesting what happens with Steffen on his second trip back to Europe. Needs to lock down a starting spot. No real Tim Howard level of GK in this group but Steffen has the athleticism to break out in Europe.

(CL) Denotes Champions League 

(EL) Denotes Europa League

Right Backs:

Starters

1. Deandre Yedlin 25 Newcastle United

Backups

1. Reggie Cannon 21 FC Dallas

2. Nick Lima 24 San Jose Earthquakes

3. Sergino Dest 18 Ajax(CL)

Thoughts

Yedlin is far away the best RB right now but has been battling injuries. Cannon played really well in the Gold Cup after only making it in after Tyler Adams got injured. He's young, quick, and a played some pretty good defense so I could see a possible transfer to Europe coming but he'll have to land in a spot that will offer first team minutes. Dest played really well at the U-20 WC IMO. He's a dual national with the Netherlands so we're going to have to call him up soon to lock him up. He's my hopeful to take over/sub in for Yedlin if he continues to develop.