***2018 Recruiting***

I think Callahan has a good point.

Seems like the original thought - when Riley was hired - was to do some regional recruiting. But the way Callahan talks, they really aren't doing any of that and just recruiting their position.

The good side of that is recruits are always dealing with their prospective position coach.

The down side is coaches are left to scour the entire nation for guys they want to recruit. You lose out on building relationships with HS coaches in a certain area who might have recruits at different positions during different years. Especially schools in the 500-mile radius that you could develop a relationship with over the years.

I agree with Callahan that a somewhat more balanced approach would probably help in the long run. Maybe do some more area recruiting to get started then when you find a guy to go after turn him over to his position coach.

Seems like the original thought - when Riley was hired - was to do some regional recruiting. But the way Callahan talks, they really aren't doing any of that and just recruiting their position.

The good side of that is recruits are always dealing with their prospective position coach.

The down side is coaches are left to scour the entire nation for guys they want to recruit. You lose out on building relationships with HS coaches in a certain area who might have recruits at different positions during different years. Especially schools in the 500-mile radius that you could develop a relationship with over the years.

I agree with Callahan that a somewhat more balanced approach would probably help in the long run. Maybe do some more area recruiting to get started then when you find a guy to go after turn him over to his position coach.

I think you can blend that philosophy.. Have guys recruit nationwide, but you could assign everyone a region within the 500 mile radius to look for gems and develop the relationships with kids and coaches.

• Fire 1

I didn't read it Mav, any other tidbits from the article? I do not subscribe to Scout, I just posted it for people to see and read it if they could.

Okay so I have a question, and perhaps it is naïve, but I'm asking anyhoo...

A lot of these kids in Louisiana grow up dreaming of playing for LSU. I get that high school coaches can ban LSU's coaches from school grounds, but that's it.

These players are still free to meet with LSU coaches in their home, at a park, at a camp, etc, right?

If high school coaches in Louisiana "boycott" LSU, what practical effect would that have on LSU's recruiting? I tend to think it would have almost zero effect, but :dunno