***2018 Recruiting***

20 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

That's also a possibility.  And...it makes sense.  On one hand you want kids that are willing to play where ever the coaches want them, but on the other hand, if a kid doesn't want to play a position, it's not wise to try and force a square peg into a round hole.

Not a possibility - this is a fact, from both our coaches and from Thompson himself. 

6 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

I think they moved him back to due all the injuries they had there.  For whatever reason, Kieron Williams wasn't going to be played no matter what, despite being the most disruptive returning safety in the league...so I think he moved back to provide depth...probably provided it in both CB and S.

Regardless, I think the most idiotic thing the last staff did was bench Kieron Williams...I will never understand what happened with that.

Kieron probably didn't fit Diaco's defense... he played way too aggressive. :facepalm:

• Plus1 3

5 hours ago, runningblind said:

Would you mind explaining what the heck that sentence means?

Michael Thompson is a high-four star (previously a 5 star) defensive tackle from St. Louis, Missouri. He had strong initial interest in Nebraska.

He absolutely dominated the camp circuit at DT, winning camp MVP twice. 

We have recruited him from the get go at OL. He said he wasn't interested in playing OL. We said too bad, and Cav was his primary recruiter. He reiterated he wasn't interested in playing OL (why would you, unless you're Baker Steinkuhler and don't like making money..?) and cut us from consideration. 

The new staff has reached out, and said we will now be looking at him at DT like we should have been. 

So, my post - it is a fact the previous staff absolutely f'ed this all up by insisting he play OL and never budging otherwise. 

How this relates to Masry Mapieu - not only do his grades suck, his performance is nowhere near the caliber of 5 star DTs we turned away because we "had our guy". 

Edited by Atbone95
  • Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Atbone95 said:

Michael Thompson is a high-four star (previously a 5 star) defensive tackle from St. Louis, Missouri. He had strong initial interest in Nebraska.

He absolutely dominated the camp circuit at DT, winning camp MVP twice. 

We have recruited him from the get go at OL. He said he wasn't interested in playing OL. We said too bad, and Cav was his primary recruiter. He reiterated he wasn't interested in playing OL (why would you, unless you're Baker Steinkuhler and don't like making money..?) and cut us from consideration. 

The new staff has reached out, and said we will now be looking at him at DT like we should have been. 

So, my post - it is a fact the previous staff absolutely f'ed this all up by insisting he play OL and never budging otherwise. 

How this relates to Masry Mapieu - not only do his grades suck, his performance is nowhere near the caliber of 5 star DTs we turned away because we "had our guy". 

But he goes to high school in Nebraska so..

The incompetence of the previous staff was so complete, they couldn't have done a worse job if they were hired to screw up.  MT may have character issues that Riley didn't want to deal with.  TO recruited his share of kids who would occasionally slip their collective toe over the line but a strong coach like Frost and co can put these kids on a short leash and roll the dice.  He might not make it past his sophomore season but he may be a future All American.  If in fact the staff thought they had enough currency to force this young man to play OL, it's a wonder we even played .500 ball for 3 years.

• Plus1 1
On 12/23/2017 at 7:22 PM, Making Chimichangas said:

That's also a possibility.  And...it makes sense.  On one hand you want kids that are willing to play where ever the coaches want them, but on the other hand, if a kid doesn't want to play a position, it's not wise to try and force a square peg into a round hole.

the problem is, as soon as you make concessions to a kid, the more they expect........i don't think this works, it is a potential cancer that can spread to other players who want to dictate where they line up.......can't see Frost putting up with this s#!t!

1 minute ago, Hunter94 said:

the problem is, as soon as you make concessions to a kid, the more they expect........i don't think this works, it is a potential cancer that can spread to other players who want to dictate where they line up.......can't see Frost putting up with this s#!t!

When a player is choosing a school and he has lots of options, why shouldn't the player have a say in the position HE wants to play?

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, TonyStalloni said:

Frost and co can put these kids on a short leash and roll the dice.

Frost also knows that in a winning culture, player leadership will emerge.

Jason Peter was/is a loose cannon.  But his type is also the kind that puts team first and helps keep teammates in line off the field.

Nate Gerry was the perfect example of the failings of the Riley era (which was thankfully short) in regard to establishing culture.

Frost will make culture a top priority from day 1, whether they are players he recruited or not.

• Plus1 2