***2018 Recruiting***

8 hours ago, Vince R. said:

I will provide deeper insight into what Frost was getting at. Most kids know where they want to go before the visits. Not very many kids are completely torn by signing day. Most kids drag the process for fame. There are exceptions for sure but Frost is saying what every coach really wants to say. When families pull in different directions, its usually illegal incentives or pure selfishness, which is a red flag for many coaches. I agree with Frost wholeheartedly. 

And he knows this because he always wanted to go to Stanford? 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

It was elite because he happened to have several highly-rated prospects committed early.  But it doesn't mean much as to what you're rated in June - especially on average.

It was probably going to be a pretty good class.  But not with how poor of a product he was putting on the field.  We were going to lose Bookie and Goodrich even if Riley stayed.

I agree with you. 

We currently have 20 commits plus two transfers.  We can sign 22 but might get 23/24 commits depending on whether Mapieu and Smith actually sign.  Sounding like Mapieu will not sign.   Smith sure indicates that he will be signing.  23 seems most likely right now with Mapieu not signing but (probably) still showing up later.

• One OL: Bell -> Lawrence
  • One OLB: JJB ->  Baldonado
  • One RB: Washington or bust
  • Maybe one more DB: Palmer back in the picture -> Taylor -> Torain
  • Tago an option but not a priority (IMO)
  • We'd be open to adding another WR but probably only if we miss out on other spots: Hunt -> Hall
  • Maybe Ogbonnia at DT if we miss at a couple spots

Current Scholarships/Commits

QB - 1 - ADRIAN MARTINEZ, Matthew Tago
RB - 1-2 - JUCO GREG BELLMaurice Washington
WR - 6 - JUCO JARON WOODYARDJUSTIN McGRIFF, KATERIAN LeGRONE, JUCO MIKE WILLAIMS,  DOMINICK WATT, MILES JONES, Andre HuntNikko Hall
TE - 1 - CAMERON JURGENS
OT - 1 - Jarrett Bell, Bobby Lawrence
OG/C - 1 - WILL FARNIOK

NT - 1 - MASRY MAPIEU, Otito Ogbonnia
DE - 2 - TATE WILDEMAN, CASEY ROGERS
LB - 2-3 - DAVID ALSTON, JUCO WILL HONAS, Javontae Jean-Baptiste, Habakkuk Baldonado
CB - 2 - JUCO DEONTAI WILLIAMS, BRAXTON CLARK, Kendrick Torain, Taiyon PalmerCam Taylor
S - 1-2 - CJ SMITH, CAM'RON JONES

K - 1 - BARRET PICKERING

Edited by Mavric
Updated
  • Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

We currently have 20 commits plus two transfers.  We can sign 22 but might get 23/24 commits depending on whether Mapieu and Smith actually sign.  Sounding like Mapieu will not sign.   Smith sure indicates that he will be signing.  23 seems most likely right now with Mapieu not signing but (probably) still showing up later.

If Mapieu “shows up later” and we sign 23, we would need to have one leave before April, right????  Unless he would walk on or greyshirt????

16 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

If Mapieu “shows up later” and we sign 23, we would need to have one leave before April, right????  Unless he would walk on or greyshirt????

I don't think we'd have to have people leave at least before June and maybe August - I'm not 100% sure how the wording works.

We'd actually have to have four "leave" because that would mean we'd over-sign by three plus Mapieu.  But yes, he could walk-on.  I saw something that seemed to indicate grey-shirts weren't allowed by the B1G but I'm not sure how that works.

8 hours ago, Mavric said:

I don't think we'd have to have people leave at least before June and maybe August - I'm not 100% sure how the wording works.

We'd actually have to have four "leave" because that would mean we'd over-sign by three plus Mapieu.  But yes, he could walk-on.  I saw something that seemed to indicate grey-shirts weren't allowed by the B1G but I'm not sure how that works.

Before fall practice starts

9 hours ago, Mavric said:

But....this is why I’m confused. We can only oversign by 3. So, if smith signs and we sign a total of 23, I’m failing to see how he can “show up later” unless he walks on. 

Edited by BigRedBuster
14 hours ago, ScottyIce said:

I’ll take it, but most of you will remember that this is where Riley’s class was Elite. I believe by average we had it at around 12th at one point.

Not in anyway trying to gear any conversation against Frost or for Riley, just providing some context to that ranking.

Your "context" is nothing but leading. Frost has had 2 months total, and he coached and won a bowl game during that time also.  Riley had 2.5 years at that point.  How can you remotely compare the two?

Let's talk in a year.

Edited by runningblind
5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

But....this is why I’m confused. We can only oversign by 3. So, if smith signs and we sign a total of 23, I’m failing to see how he can “show up later” unless he walks on. 

If 4-5 guys leave after the semester there will be scholarships open.

3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

If 4-5 guys leave after the semester there will be scholarships open.

Pardon me....I don’t mean to be difficult with this. But....correct me if I’m wrong...he would have to sign by April and that’s before these guys would leave “after the semester”. 

But...it would put us above the 3 extra allowed. 

Edited by BigRedBuster
  • Plus1 1