***2018 Recruiting***

• 1 year later...

How bad did this offensive class end up for us? Major problems at WR/RB are now showing. We signed 13 offensive guys. 

AMart- Stud

Mo- Stud

Jurgens- Starter as RsFr

*Also our three highest rated recruits, but stars don't matter*

Woodyard- Bust

Bell - Bust/not on team

Hunt - Not on team

Jones - ? Not contributing when we have limited contributors ?

Farniok - ? Not contributing when we have limited contributors ? 

McGriff - Not on team

Legrone - Not on team

Williams - Bust

Watt - Never on team

Canty - Never on team

3 out of 13 contributing. Only 5 of 13 have any chance to contribute. Oof, that killed depth in a hurry. 

Did a much better job with the D recruits. Signed 10:

Jones - Not on team

Wildeman - Buried by seniors right now 

Tannor - Starter

Smith - Not on team

Honas - Basically Starter

Williams - Would be starter

Alston - Likely bust

Taylor- Stud

Rogers - Pushing PT on stacked line

Clark - #3 CB pushing PT

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

First off - nice summary of the individual players

However, a little early to know the true future of Soph's and RS Fresh.... I have a hard time using the word "bust" until mid way thru Jr year.

Not sure where you're coming from with the last comment?

I used "bust" to describe three players. 

Woodyard - SR

Williams - SR

Bell - off team but should have been SR

I used "likely bust" on one RsFr, Alston. We lack quality, depth, etc at OLB and he's playing scout team. Meanwhile, his classmate is starting and Nelson who is younger is #2 on depth chart as a TrFr. 

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

Woodyard - SR

Williams - SR

I used "likely bust" on one RsFr, Alston. We lack quality, depth, etc at OLB and he's playing scout team. Meanwhile, his classmate is starting and Nelson who is younger is #2 on depth chart as a TrFr. 

Seems implied on Miles Jones and Will Farniok too. And it's pretty harsh for any rFr. - some guys are more ready to contribute early than others. We don't have to assume the depth chart is the way it is because Alston is bad, could be Nelson is just better. I'm pretty sure Miles Jones is beat up, and by most accounts Jurgens is just a freak so I wouldn't say Farniok is missing opportunities to contribute.

• Fire 1

Sort of curious what typical transition classes are like for coaches. They had to put the majority of this class together in about a month for the early signing day. Definitely had some misses/issues with guys gone or not contributing. I do think it's unfair to consider Alston a "likely bust" as a RsFr though. Dismuke didn't contribute until now his RsJr year and he was a lot higher rated in high school so he could have been thought of as a bust until this year and he's been solid for the most part.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

I do not fault the coaches for the class, they had to make some relatively quick decisions on a smaller pool due to timing. I apologize if that is how it came off. They took some chances on some guys and it really didn't work out, which we are now paying for. 

Not sure why continual hangup on Alston. Put him in the same category as Miles Jones/Farniok if you want, defensively the list is still pretty solid. He has nothing to do with the offensive list. Even counting them it's only 5-13, which was stated in OP.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions as far as it goes with Farniok/MJones/Alston. I think/hear they are being recruited over. Two of them weren't this staff's recruits, they were carryover commits. MJones has been healthy all summer and fall, hopefully it comes together for him. Out of the three he's the one I think has a shot. 

3 hours ago, Warrior10 said:

Woodyard - SR

Williams - SR

You are correct - forgot the 3 were juco and no longer underclassmen...... as stated above it's a solid look at where they are - hope 1 or 2 can turn the corner and surprise us.

2 hours ago, Warrior10 said:

I do not fault the coaches for the class, they had to make some relatively quick decisions on a smaller pool due to timing. I apologize if that is how it came off. They took some chances on some guys and it really didn't work out, which we are now paying for. 

Not sure why continual hangup on Alston. Put him in the same category as Miles Jones/Farniok if you want, defensively the list is still pretty solid. He has nothing to do with the offensive list. Even counting them it's only 5-13, which was stated in OP.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions as far as it goes with Farniok/MJones/Alston. I think/hear they are being recruited over. Two of them weren't this staff's recruits, they were carryover commits. MJones has been healthy all summer and fall, hopefully it comes together for him. Out of the three he's the one I think has a shot. 

I think everyone is just assuming people are critical of Frost right now I didn't think that's what you meant. Good point on those three being recruited over I think you're absolutely right there. 

• Plus1 1
On 10/16/2019 at 9:41 PM, Warrior10 said:

How bad did this offensive class end up for us? Major problems at WR/RB are now showing. We signed 13 offensive guys. 

AMart- Stud

Mo- Stud

Jurgens- Starter as RsFr

*Also our three highest rated recruits, but stars don't matter*

Woodyard- Bust

Bell - Bust/not on team

Hunt - Not on team

Jones - ? Not contributing when we have limited contributors ?

Farniok - ? Not contributing when we have limited contributors ? 

McGriff - Not on team

Legrone - Not on team

Williams - Bust

Watt - Never on team

Canty - Never on team

3 out of 13 contributing. Only 5 of 13 have any chance to contribute. Oof, that killed depth in a hurry. 

Did a much better job with the D recruits. Signed 10:

Jones - Not on team

Wildeman - Buried by seniors right now 

Tannor - Starter

Smith - Not on team

Honas - Basically Starter

Williams - Would be starter

Alston - Likely bust

Taylor- Stud

Rogers - Pushing PT on stacked line

Clark - #3 CB pushing PT

Good post. 

Then add in the total bust that was the 2017 class and.....here we are.