***2018 Recruiting***

So we are at 82. Let's pretend we don't land any grad transfers or any new recruits for this season.

Tyler Hoppes is going to get a scholly for this season.

Luke McNitt might if he is going to be the starting FB.

They are both Seniors, and would put us at 84.

Reimers is getting a scholarship, you can bet your bottom on it.

He is a junior, and would put us at 85 for the season. His wouldn't come off the books, unless we were to only offer him a 1 year scholly, which I would doubt considering he is going to play quite a bit.

This means we would have 14 open scholarships without attrition, and we could sign up to 17... Which Riley didn't do last season.

Now, looking at possible attrition, since that's what some are hoping so we can sign 20. (Not sure how you can predict guys that might leave, but I'll try) We would need 3 to leave, just to be able to get to 20. Also, those 3 would have to either leave during or before the season, or well before NSD, so that we could actual sign a player for their scholarship.

Sedrick King? Possibly a Grad Transfer if he doesn't get much PT this year. Not sure on his graduation requirements to be able to do so, just would assume he is close.

Jalen Barnett? Possibly Transfer, hasn't gotten any opportunities for whatever reason it is.

MIkale Wilbon? Grad Transfer possibly if he doesn't get a fair shake this season?

I feel like I'm really reaching with those predictions. I'm sure we will have some sort of attrition, just not sure who and not sure if it will amount to 3 players or not.

Time will tell. I can tell you for a fact that we will sign between 15-20 players though.

Pure speculation of candidates for leaving but here's my list of possibilities:

Brokop: The coaches are ready to show him the door.

King: Agree with you. Could look for bigger role.

Darlington: Loves the program. But I wondering if he'd grad transfer to see the field at a lessor school?

Avery Anderson: Just can't seem to gain ground anywhere. 3rd string now and Blades, Bookie, etc are joining the fold during the remainder of his time here.

Decker: He's a good player and I hope it's not the case but he has some health problems that could be a wildcard in his career.

I'm thinking we may lose one from the safety group. With Dismuke, Butler, Domann, Reed all fighting for time, wouldn't be surprised if we lost one. Big fan of Domann and Butler, hope we can hold on to those two.

So if 15 really is our number, even the low end numbers I have below add up to 17 not counting the ATH line. Riley hasn't said numbers for everything but it seems that WR, TE, OT, OG, DT, DE and LB are pretty solid (11 total). Assuming we stick with the plan of taking a Kicker, that would leave two remaining combined spots for QB, RB, CB and S (with Bookie already committed). Interesting.

Current Scholarships/Commits

Priority:

OT - Glaring need of depth

CB - Grabbing Bookie is huge. Need a couple more.

RB - With Oz seeming to fall out of favor, we need to hit at this spot this year.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QB - 1 - Tanner McKee

RB - 1 - Grahm Roberts, Mychale Salahuddin, Kirby Bennett, JaVeon Marlow, Tavion Thomas

WR - 3 - ERIC FULLER, MANUEL ALLEN, Kamryn Babb, Nikko Hall, Cameron Brown, Joshua Moore, Kobe Smith, Blake Veargis, CJ Moore

TE - 1 - CAMERON JURGENS

OT - 2 - Antwan Reed, Michael Thompson, Chris Bleich

OG/C - 1 - WILL FARNIOK

NT - 1 - MASRY MAPIEU, Trevor Trout, Josh Walker, Calvin Avery, Joshua Landry

DE - 2 - TATE WILDEMAN, Draco Bynum, Judge Culpepper

LB - 1 - Reggie Hughes, Jalen Redmond, Cameron Latu, Randy Charlton, James Head, Adrian Jackson

CB - 2-3 - BRENDAN RADLEY-HILES, Olaijah Griffin, Jaquayln Crawford, Chase Williams

S - 1-2 - Steve Stephens, Stephen Blaylock, Mario Goodrich, Bryan Addison

ATH - Talanoa Hufanga

K - 1 - Barret Pickering

Might want to separate the ILB and OLB since they seem to be fairly different types of players.

So if 15 really is our number, even the low end numbers I have below add up to 17 not counting the ATH line. Riley hasn't said numbers for everything but it seems that WR, TE, OT, OG, DT, DE and LB are pretty solid (11 total). Assuming we stick with the plan of taking a Kicker, that would leave two remaining combined spots for QB, RB, CB and S (with Bookie already committed). Interesting.Current Scholarships/Commits Priority:OT - Glaring need of depthCB - Grabbing Bookie is huge. Need a couple more.RB - With Oz seeming to fall out of favor, we need to hit at this spot this year. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------QB - 1 - Tanner McKeeRB - 1 - Grahm Roberts, Mychale Salahuddin, Kirby Bennett, JaVeon Marlow, Tavion ThomasWR - 3 - ERIC FULLER, MANUEL ALLEN, Kamryn Babb, Nikko Hall, Cameron Brown, Joshua Moore, Kobe Smith, Blake Veargis, CJ MooreTE - 1 - CAMERON JURGENSOT - 2 - Antwan Reed, Michael Thompson, Chris BleichOG/C - 1 - WILL FARNIOK NT - 1 - MASRY MAPIEU, Trevor Trout, Josh Walker, Calvin Avery, Joshua LandryDE - 2 - TATE WILDEMAN, Draco Bynum, Judge CulpepperLB - 1 - Reggie Hughes, Jalen Redmond, Cameron Latu, Randy Charlton, James Head, Adrian JacksonCB - 2-3 - BRENDAN RADLEY-HILES, Olaijah Griffin, Jaquayln Crawford, Chase WilliamsS - 1-2 - Steve Stephens, Stephen Blaylock, Mario Goodrich, Bryan Addison ATH - Talanoa Hufanga K - 1 - Barret Pickering

Might want to separate the ILB and OLB since they seem to be fairly different types of players.

Then you would want to separate the OLBs into field and boundary bc they are pretty different too. Field is more like a LB and boundary is more like a DE

The rating services separate them but I've never been able to tell for sure if it really translates into what they're being recruited for at the college level. For example, I'm pretty sure Dedrick Young was listed as an OLB and he started there for us but is now an ILB. So I don't think there's a big distinction a lot of the time.

However, we are only recruiting OLBs this year - or at least that's how the story goes.

Great news to see we have some recruiting momentum heading into the season. I do not recall a time when we won this many recruits with cbs or had this much momentum in recruiting. Right now we are the place to be with some top flight recruits. Kudos to the staff for working hard and to Riley for attracting excellent recruiters after firing some of his buddies.

So if 15 really is our number, the numbers I have below add up to 17 not counting the ATH line. Riley hasn't said numbers for everything but it seems that WR, TE, OT, OG, DT, DE and LB are pretty solid (11 total). Assuming we stick with the plan of taking a Kicker, that would leave one remaining combined spot for QB, RB, CB and S (with Bookie & Williams already committed). Interesting.

Current Scholarships/Commits

Priority:
OT - Glaring need of depth
RB - With Oz seeming to fall out of favor, we need to hit at this spot this year.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QB - 1 - Tanner McKee
RB - 1 - Grahm Roberts, JaVeon Marlow, Tavion Thomas
WR - 3 - ERIC FULLER, MANUEL ALLEN, Kamryn Babb, Nikko Hall, Cameron Brown, Joshua Moore, Kobe Smith, Blake Veargis, CJ Moore
TE - 1 - CAMERON JURGENS
OT - 2 - Michael Thompson, Chris Bleich
OG/C - 1 - WILL FARNIOK

NT - 1 - MASRY MAPIEU, Trevor Trout, Josh Walker, Calvin Avery, Joshua Landry
DE - 2 - TATE WILDEMAN, Judge Culpepper
LB - 1 - Reggie Hughes, Jalen Redmond, Cameron Latu, Randy Charlton, James Head, Adrian Jackson
CB - 2 - BRENDAN RADLEY-HILES, CHASE WILLIAMS
S - 1 - Mario Goodrich, Bryan Addison

ATH - Talanoa Hufanga

K - 1 - Barret Pickering

Edited by Mavric
  • Fire 1

So, we have 8.

Good chance we end up with:

Pickering

Bleich

Stratford

Goodrich

Joshua Moore

Jordan Moore

Avery

That's 15.

I'd be ok with that.

Then, we gotta find room for a QB RB & LB.

RB likely being Roberts? I know nothing about our LB recruiting for the year but with LB being a huge position now that we are in the 3-4 it seems like you can't really go a year with no commits there. I'd be okayish with no QB if we knew someone like Gunnel was likely to be ours.

Also, I like Riley's approach this year of subtly calling out the silent commits by saying we currently now have 10 even though there are only 8 public verbals. He has put it out there and the public has a good idea of at least one (Goodrich). Puts a bit more heat on the kid to stick with it. Not that it'll have any effect in the end but it at least formalizes something a bit more than has caused some issues for us recently.