***2018 Recruiting***

As low percentage of a chance this is...what if Lee does leave after this season, then Gebbia beats out POB. Is POB going to back him up or transfer? If we don't get a QB in this class, we're then banking on Lee not being a monster and Gebbia isn't phenomenal either. Don't take a QB just to take one but I really hope we can identify a solid kid for this class.

TL will have had a MONSTER of a season to leave early. If that happens, we'll be in good shape to pick up a recruit late in the process (or flip one) or get another transfer QB or JUCO going forward. There are a lot of options.

That's a helluva point. We will know if Lee has has a DRAFT worthy season by end of November. Gives us time to get back in the mix. Plus, that would be really attractive to a recruit. (The fact that we had a highly successful QB).

Putting all our eggs in the Grant Gunnell basket.

Risky, but you have to believe GG will feel awfully flattered. Hopefully it's enough.

I would rather not rely on the flattery a 16 year old kid feels in regards to how to operate a collegiate football team.

Dude, You and I have no clue how to operate a collegiate football team. But, I do know that part of recruiting is making a recruit feel WANTED. Nothing says we want you more than, Hey, we aren't taking a QB in 2018 and you are the only offer we have out for 2019. Enough said.

Tell that to Nick Saban that started a RS freshman at QB in the National Championship and still signed 2 4 star QB's in 2017. This type of flattery will bite teams. Only the best teams know that and sign QB's every year.

Ohio St has 4 QB's ahead of their 2018 5 star QB. Didn't stop them.

Clemson signed a 5 star QB in 2017 and has a commitment from another in 2018

I could list more but you get the point. You don't skip on QB's in any class anymore.

I'm not saying we should skip one, but I trust coach riley more than I do your advice.

It's not advice. It's an opinion based on the fact that much better teams than Nebraska don't skip on QB's.

We offered a kicker a scholarship but he's going to wait until 2019 for a QB? Sorry. That's not a solid plan.

See how you feel when we need a 47 yard kick to win the game against Wisconsin or something like that.

See how you feel when your QB gets you in range for a 17 yard kick to win the game.

Not trying to be a prick, but is a 17 yard kick even possible?

No, but a 17 yard punt is. Just ask Caleb Lightbourn.

• Fire 1

Risky, but you have to believe GG will feel awfully flattered. Hopefully it's enough.

I would rather not rely on the flattery a 16 year old kid feels in regards to how to operate a collegiate football team.

Dude, You and I have no clue how to operate a collegiate football team. But, I do know that part of recruiting is making a recruit feel WANTED. Nothing says we want you more than, Hey, we aren't taking a QB in 2018 and you are the only offer we have out for 2019. Enough said.

Tell that to Nick Saban that started a RS freshman at QB in the National Championship and still signed 2 4 star QB's in 2017. This type of flattery will bite teams. Only the best teams know that and sign QB's every year.

I could list more but you get the point. You don't skip on QB's in any class anymore.

I'm not saying we should skip one, but I trust coach riley more than I do your advice.

It's not advice. It's an opinion based on the fact that much better teams than Nebraska don't skip on QB's.

We offered a kicker a scholarship but he's going to wait until 2019 for a QB? Sorry. That's not a solid plan.

See how you feel when we need a 47 yard kick to win the game against Wisconsin or something like that.

See how you feel when your QB gets you in range for a 17 yard kick to win the game.

Yeah, I will never talk crap about Lightbourn.... Unpreventable circumstances thrust him into the job early. That was never the plan. He will have a good career, bet on it.

• Fire 2

I'll just say it again. The current elite teams are not skipping on getting a QB every cycle.

Nebraska is not on the same planet as these teams but we'll be fine skipping?

I think the situation RedDenver described is most likely.

What if Lee has a so-so season and no chance possible he leaves for draft? I'm not worried about not taking a QB in this class if no one leaves.

I'll just say it again. The current elite teams are not skipping on getting a QB every cycle.

What if Lee has a so-so season and no chance possible he leaves for draft? I'm not worried about not taking a QB in this class if no one leaves.

What if Lee has a so-so season and doesn't leave for the draft and gets beat out by POB or Gebbia and decides to be a grad transfer somewhere else for a year?

And my confidence in no one leaving is 0%

To be fair, elite teams usually have enough players leaving via the draft/exhaustion of eligibility that they don't have to worry about only having 15 spots open to sign recruits.

What if Lee has a so-so season and doesn't leave for the draft and gets beat out by POB or Gebbia and decides to be a grad transfer somewhere else for a year?

Dude, my answer to that is exactly what I just said it was. I would be worried if someone left.

I won't be worried if no one leaves.

I asked you, would you be okay with not taking one if 0 QB's leave.

To be fair, elite teams usually have enough players leaving via the draft/exhaustion of eligibility that they don't have to worry about only having 15 spots open to sign recruits.

QB is the one spot that shouldn't be factored in on open spots. It should just be automatic that you get one every year.

Dude, my answer to that is exactly what I just said it was. I would be worried if someone left.

I won't be worried if no one leaves.

I asked you, would you be okay with not taking one if 0 QB's leave.

No. You take one anyway

Then we pick up a recruit late in the process, flip a recruit, get a grad transfer, or get a JUCO. I agree it's not ideal, and we should ideally get a QB every year, but what position or which recruit would you choose to replace with a QB?

• Fire 1

Then we pick up a recruit late in the process, flip a recruit, get a grad transfer, or get a JUCO. I agree it's not ideal, and we should ideally get a QB every year, but what position or which recruit would you choose to replace with a QB?

Why settle when you can actively and successfully recruit a good QB?

And any position could be replaced. Every position on the field has multiple players. There can only be 1 QB on the field

Why settle when you can actively and successfully recruit a good QB?

And any position could be replaced. Every position on the field has multiple players. There can only be 1 QB on the field

I see what you're saying, and I agree somewhat. But with the small class, I think we have bigger needs than having a third string QB, just in case. I'm ok with either taking a QB the coaches really like, or not taking a QB if none of their top choices are available.

As low percentage of a chance this is...what if Lee does leave after this season, then Gebbia beats out POB. Is POB going to back him up or transfer? If we don't get a QB in this class, we're then banking on Lee not being a monster and Gebbia isn't phenomenal either. Don't take a QB just to take one but I really hope we can identify a solid kid for this class.

TL will have had a MONSTER of a season to leave early. If that happens, we'll be in good shape to pick up a recruit late in the process (or flip one) or get another transfer QB or JUCO going forward. There are a lot of options.

That's a helluva point. We will know if Lee has has a DRAFT worthy season by end of November. Gives us time to get back in the mix. Plus, that would be really attractive to a recruit. (The fact that we had a highly successful QB).

Yeah there are options in the event that happens. But even if Lee is so-so and no one transfers, I still believe it's important to bring in a QB this class, or every class for that matter. Maybe I'm overly concerned because we haven't had good QB depth since 2000, would prefer to end that predicament.

Yeah, I will never talk crap about Lightbourn.... Unpreventable circumstances thrust him into the job early. That was never the plan. He will have a good career, bet on it.

Heyo Matty and I agree on something!

Carry on....

• Fire 1