***2018 Recruiting***

I’m not crazy about the McGriff take. I will no doubt trust Frost and the assistants on offense because they clearly know what makes their offense work but he feels like a G-5 player in my opinion.

Not trying to be a downer though, there are exciting times ahead and we are in on some big time recruits. Going to be a fun couple of months.

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, Caliborn72 said:

I’m not crazy about the McGriff take. I will no doubt trust Frost and the assistants on offense because they clearly know what makes their offense work but he feels like a G-5 player in my opinion.

Not trying to be a downer though, there are exciting times ahead and we are in on some big time recruits. Going to be a fun couple of months.

I know, having a tall TE/WR going down the seam in the red zone really sucks.

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I know, having a tall TE/WR going down the seam in the red zone really sucks.

I get it. But remember, we had people talking about whether or not Diaco would get us into the top 10 in team defense, or if we’d be okay with just top 25.

It doesn’t have to always be 100% sunshine pumping, I’m just sharing my opinion. What his highlights don’t show (what any highlight reel doesn’t show) is the drops and it doesn’t account for the level of competition. And yes, it’s entirely possible, if not probable, that we stole a hidden gem. I’m not saying he’s going to suck, I’m just saying it’s a slightly suspicious take due to a weak offer list.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

I get it. But remember, we had people talking about whether or not Diaco would get us into the top 10 in team defense, or if we’d be okay with just top 25.

It doesn’t have to always be 100% sunshine pumping, I’m just sharing my opinion. What his highlights don’t show (what any highlight reel doesn’t show) is the drops and it doesn’t account for the level of competition. And yes, it’s entirely possible, if not probable, that we stole a hidden gem. I’m not saying he’s going to suck, I’m just saying it’s a slightly suspicious take due to a weak offer list.

I think what hurts McGriff is that he is a tweener player. He is almost too big, slow to be a WR and not quite built to block yet like a TE. Watching his film at camps he is massive. No doubt will be a red zone weapon for us that we have needed. 

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, Caliborn72 said:

Maybe he does feel like a G5 offer bc he doesnt fit the typical type of a WR or TE, but UCF has a roster of G5 kids that could probably win the B1G West.  Trusting Frost evaluation til proven otherwise.  

• Plus1 2

For sure, good points. I actually think it’s refreshing that the staff found a talent they believe has great potential, and stuck with him regardless of his star rating. We are going to have to take chances on players and recruiting Florida well means finding hidden gems that the Big 3 forgot/missed in the offering process.

I think it’s also important to minimize those takes. Since we had a coaching change, we might see a couple more reaches simply because the staff built relationships with players they were recruiting to UCF. 2019 looks like it could be like 2017 fun where we have several all American recruits making a decision that includes us, except Frost will close though.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

For sure, good points. I actually think it’s refreshing that the staff found a talent they believe has great potential, and stuck with him regardless of his star rating. We are going to have to take chances on players and recruiting Florida well means finding hidden gems that the Big 3 forgot/missed in the offering process.

I think it’s also important to minimize those takes. Since we had a coaching change, we might see a couple more reaches simply because the staff built relationships with players they were recruiting to UCF. 2019 looks like it could be like 2017 fun where we have several all American recruits making a decision that includes us, except Frost will close though.

Dilly Dilly!

• Plus1 2
11 hours ago, Wunderkind said:

It seems like we are receiving quite a bit of interest at many positions, but not in two of the bigger areas of need (OT and CB). It's still really early and we have some offers out, but I'm really hoping we can find some help and depth here.

Agreed. That's why it's crucial we secure a visit from JUCO CB Jeremy Webb this week. The IWCC OT looks like a long shot, which is sad considering the major offers he has got the last week. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Caliborn72 said:

Yes, not every recruit is going to work out, but the Tight End position is a weak spot on the roster for NU right now.  Also, Frost's offense likes to have versatile players that can be effective out in space and create mismatches.  I am not saying this guy is going to be a stud for NU, but he has a unique size and skill set that isn't currently on the NU roster.  I don't know why you would be against that type of player.

• Plus1 1

Fair points, definitely excited to see some speed and versatility. At the very least, McGriff seems like a matchup nightmare in the redzone.

I’ll be interested to see if we try to secure that JUCO ILB. That’s a position I thought we were alright in, especially because teams all around the country start freshmen and sophomores there. Could just be for class balance and to get more of a sure thing in place, but it could also mean some expected attrition there.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

Fair points, definitely excited to see some speed and versatility. At the very least, McGriff seems like a matchup nightmare in the redzone.

I’ll be interested to see if we try to secure that JUCO ILB. That’s a position I thought we were alright in, especially because teams all around the country start freshmen and sophomores there. Could just be for class balance and to get more of a sure thing in place, but it could also mean some expected attrition there.

I think it has more to do with Barry and Young's inconsistency and losing our only consistent ILB'er in Weber.

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

Also just out of curiosity from your "freshman and sophmores starting" comment, I looked at OhioSt, PennSt and Wisc depth charts. Their ILB/MLB'ers are 2 Sr's and 2 JR's.

Not saying your wrong, could just be a coincidence. However, the 3 best teams in the Big10 are rolling out upperclassmen there. I think the physical nature of the Big10 probably requires a more physically mature player. 

Just a interesting thought, and one that isn't necessarily important. 

• Plus1 2