***2018 Recruiting***

18 hours ago, jsneb83 said:

With the Martinez commitment, we are now 54th in the 247 Composite team rankings.

I have been following recruiting from a distance the last few years but with the Scott Frost hiring and the excitement around the program I have been following much more closely this year.  Can someone with more knowledge in regards to 247 explain why class rankings are based on the total number as opposed to the average rating for the players committed/signed?

Looking back at 2017 Nebraska finished 23rd but if it was based on the average player rating the Huskers would have finished 19th.  For 2018 with the current commits, the Huskers are ranked 54th based on the total but would be ranked 21st at this point in time based on average player rating.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, jgreen727 said:

I have been following recruiting from a distance the last few years but with the Scott Frost hiring and the excitement around the program I have been following much more closely this year.  Can someone with more knowledge in regards to 247 explain why class rankings are based on the total number as opposed to the average rating for the players committed/signed?

Looking back at 2017 Nebraska finished 23rd but if it was based on the average player rating the Huskers would have finished 19th.  For 2018 with the current commits, the Huskers are ranked 54th based on the total but would be ranked 21st at this point in time based on average player rating.

Would you rather have 20 players on your team or 10? If you take one 5 star should you really be the #1 class?

4 minutes ago, tyrone_biggums said:

Would you rather have 20 players on your team or 10? If you take one 5 star should you really be the #1 class?

We obviously are not done recruiting and will get more 3 and 4 star prospects. I still think we end up with best class in the West. We already have the best QB recruit in the West 

1 minute ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

We obviously are not done recruiting and will get more 3 and 4 star prospects. I still think we end up with best class in the West. We already have the best QB recruit in the West 

And then the class ranking should go up. I was just explaining why even though our average prospect rating is high, our class ranking is low.

If 10 4 stars went against 20 3 stars, I'd put my money on the 20 3 stars

2 minutes ago, tyrone_biggums said:

And then the class ranking should go up. I was just explaining why even though our average prospect rating is high, our class ranking is low.

If 10 4 stars went against 20 3 stars, I'd put my money on the 20 3 stars

You are correct. It is all a hit or miss numbers game. If you are hitting on +50% you are doing a damn good job. The trick signing enough guys. 

2 hours ago, jgreen727 said:

Rivals uses the top 20 commitments for each class for their team ranking formulas since most times that is the low end of a class number. That way things are evened out whether you signed 20 or 27. 

16 minutes ago, tyrone_biggums said:

2 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Rivals uses the top 20 commitments for each class for their team ranking formulas since most times that is the low end of a class number. That way things are evened out whether you signed 20 or 27. 

This really gets at the question I had... If Team X has room for 17 recruits and averages a 92.00 rating and Team Y has room for 24 recruits and averages a 89.00 rating I would rather have the class with the higher average rating.  Just confusing to me that the total number of commits would be the indicator given that every team has ebbs and flows to the size of a class.