***2018 Recruiting***

So it sounds like McGriff is signing tomorrow. Messiah Swinson announces and signs tomorrow. 

Honas could be anytime. It sounds like he is waffling if he should commit and get it over with or hold out and visit wisconsin. So he could announce and sign today or tomorrow or he could push out a few weeks. Hopefully we hear something this week and he wraps things up.

Also if I understand correctly JUCO guys can sign anytime between now and mid january correct? So if we get in on any other Juco guys we could get more signatures in the next month right?

Edited by Huskers93-97

15 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Honas could be anytime. It sounds like he is waffling if he should commit and get it over with or hold out and visit wisconsin. So he could announce and sign today or tomorrow or he could push out a few weeks. Hopefully we hear something this week and he wraps things up.

Assuming the JUCO signing period is the same as HS and he has to sign before Saturday or wait till February.

Wherever he goes, he is planning on enrolling in January. So, question for clarification.  I think I know the answer.

If a kid enrolls in January but signs in February, who pays for the semester of school?

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Assuming the JUCO signing period is the same as HS and he has to sign before Saturday or wait till February.

Wherever he goes, he is planning on enrolling in January. So, question for clarification.  I think I know the answer.

If a kid enrolls in January but signs in February, who pays for the semester of school?

JUCO guys can sign in January, as well, and get that Spring semester paid for through scholarship.  They just need to make sure they are enrolled in time.  NU starts their spring semester on Jan. 8th, so students have about a week after that to complete their enrollment and be a student for the spring semester.  That's why Wisconsin and Iowa has an advantage over NU on some JUCO recruits, because they don't officially start classes until Jan. 15th.

Edited by ColoradoHusk
  • Plus1 1
16 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

So Frost is thinking around 7* more commits that aren't signed or committed yet. Masry and Smith could both come up short academically. Below are the ones we have a chance with that I could think of....Wasn't sure if the ship has sailed on any of them yet - feel free to correct me 

Honas

Swinson

Bush

Hawkins 

Jean-Baptise 

Carson

Thompson 

Porter 

Mills

Wade

Hall

Crosswell 

K. Smith

Crocker 

I think you can take the bottom 4 off the list. To my knowledge none of them have even been contacted by the new staff. 

17 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

So Frost is thinking around 7* more commits that aren't signed or committed yet. Masry and Smith could both come up short academically. Below are the ones we have a chance with that I could think of....Wasn't sure if the ship has sailed on any of them yet - feel free to correct me 

Honas

Swinson

Bush

Hawkins 

Jean-Baptise 

Carson

Thompson 

Porter 

Mills

Wade

Hall

Crosswell 

K. Smith

Crocker 

Honas

Swinson

Carson

Jones

Clark

Porter

Thompson

Jones

Mills

Hawkins

Watt

Bush

Jean Baptiste 

Jones

Palmer

Montgomery 

Those are the names I am watching right now. But this thing is going to get very fluid. 

Edited by Warrior10

14 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

Honas

Swinson

Carson

Jones

Clark

Porter

Thompson

Jones

Mills

Hawkins

Watt

Bush

Jean Baptiste 

Jones

Palmer

Those are the names I am watching right now. But this thing is going to get very fluid. 

I wouldnt be surprised if we saw a flurry of new offers go out. They hit their first wave that they were prepared for in the short period of time between when they were hired and early signing. Then bowl game gets over and I have a feeling there will be new kids we are not talking about right now pop up, partly because they can re-focus on kids not signed yet- plus they have more time to evaluate the available talent and make a new list.

I think thats what Frost was saying in his conference that he did not want to load up for this signing. He wanted time to get after it in january.

Edited by Huskers93-97

• In any given class, roughly 2,800 prospects will sign with FBS programs at the Group of 5 or Power 5 level. That is a signing number, not necessarily the number that will actually arrive on campus.
  • At this time, roughly 1,950 players and counting have signed their national letters of intent (70 percent of that 2,800), with more expected to come before the 72-hour signing window concludes Friday.
  • There are around 530 players who are verbally committed but who have not signed. That number will continue to decrease with players signing before Friday night, but not by hundreds.
  • So if we do the math, this leaves roughly 400 uncommitted available players still to sign with FBS programs come the first Wednesday in February.
Edited by Red Five
  • Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Red Five said:

• In any given class, roughly 2,800 prospects will sign with FBS programs at the Group of 5 or Power 5 level. That is a signing number, not necessarily the number that will actually arrive on campus.
  • At this time, roughly 1,950 players and counting have signed their national letters of intent (70 percent of that 2,800), with more expected to come before the 72-hour signing window concludes Friday.
  • There are around 530 players who are verbally committed but who have not signed. That number will continue to decrease with players signing before Friday night, but not by hundreds.
  • So if we do the math, this leaves roughly 400 uncommitted available players still to sign with FBS programs come the first Wednesday in February.

So I take this as we have 930 kids that are a possibility. Because the 530 who are committed but did not sign are possible to still get. I mean they didnt sign for a reason. I would be really interested to see how many of those 530 committed are committed to one of the many P5 programs who switched coaches this cycle. Those are the kids we can truly have a legit shot to flip.

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Florida connections could prove handy....

Truth!!  That is a reason I think Beckton could be a steal on this staff.  He is a very well respected coach that has coached and recruited Florida for over 20 years.  You would think this guy has a pretty good relationship with HS Florida coaches.  

21 hours ago, Mavric said:

We currently have 13 commits.  Frost says the number is 20.

I think we're looking for some combination of 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 TE, 2 OTs, 2 DLs, 1 LB and 2 DBs.  That's 10 positions for 7 spots - though we could sign 8 more at the moment.  But Mapieu and Smith are question marks academically so those numbers may depend on how they do.  Jurgens may also end up at LB which might explain why we're still looking for TEs and help fill the numbers at LB.

Current Scholarships/Commits

QB - 1 - ADRIAN MARTINEZ
RB - 2 - JUCO GREG BELL, Javian Hawkins
WR - 3-4 - JUCO JARON WOODYARDJUSTIN McGRIFF, KATERIAN LeGRONE Dominick Watt
TE - 1-2 - CAMERON JURGENS Messiah Swinson
OT - 1-2 - Hamilton Hall
OG/C - 1 - WILL FARNIOK

NT - 1-2 - MASRY MAPIEU
DE - 2 - TATE WILDEMAN, Daniel Carson
LB - 2-3 - DAVID ALSTON, JUCO Will Honas, Lavontae Jean-Baptiste
CB - 1-2 - JUCO Jeremy Webb, Braxton Clark
S - 2-3 - CJ SMITH, JUCO DEONTAI WILLIAMS, Cam'ron Jones

K - 1 - BARRET PICKERING

With that LB position locked up time to focus on DB you'd think. If Smith is iffy and Jones is taking visits, that position is going to need a lot of leg work to finish out strong.