***2018 Recruiting***

7 minutes ago, FaithfulHusker said:

I understand what you're saying , but I don't want any reaches in this class. If Frost can fill this class up with good talent and no reaches I will be estatic.

I couldn't agree more. No need to reach and spend a scholarship on a player when we could have a monster 2019 class after the coaching staff has time to build relationships and show some on field improvement.. I think us taking around 18 would be good unless we can pull in a couple long shots like Jacob Copeland, Tommy Bush, or Jean-Baptiste. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

All that really matters to me is that the staff doesn't undersign this class.  Get as many as they can.  And do that every year

It's not an indictment to this staff if they "undersign" this class.  It will be a problem if they do in their 2nd recruiting class and going forward, but there is proof that guys that have been signed late in the recruiting process by a new staff don't pan out at their school.  It will be key to get guys that Frost really want, but they don't need to fill up the class, just to fill up the class.

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, Throw Dem Bones said:

I couldn't agree more. No need to reach and spend a scholarship on a player when we could have a monster 2019 class after the coaching staff has time to build relationships and show some on field improvement.. I think us taking around 18 would be good unless we can pull in a couple long shots like Jacob Copeland, Tommy Bush, or Jean-Baptiste. 

Only taking 18 would be a mistake. We have enough quality kids interested to go higher than that, and they will.

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think 18-20 is probably the right number.  I don't have the available scholarship numbers in front of me, but to sign the max this year would be short sighted.

Why? Name who you'd finish the class out with if you're only taking 4-6 more. 

Edited by Warrior10
6 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

Why? 

Because there is history of signing guys just to fill up the class in a staff's transition class doesn't always pan out.  Many of the guys "recruited late" tend to not have any impact on the team.  If they are able to have an extra 1-3 guys for next years class, I would like that.  The staff would have another year to evaluate the players and the players will have another year to evaluate the idea of play football at Nebraska.

I don't remember the exact date, but Sam McKewon had a Pick 6 Podcast in December where he had specific examples of the transition classes of Callahan, Pelini, and Riley had late signees who didn't produce, and those scholarship numbers would have been better saved for the next year.

EDIT:  Again, I don't have the exact number of scholarships available.  I was going off from my memory of schollies available before Lee and Gates had decided to turn pro.  The max that Frost can sign is the number that would put them at 88 scholarships.  For THIS YEAR, I think it would be a bad idea to do so.

Edited by ColoradoHusk
Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

Because there is history of signing guys just to fill up the class in a staff's transition class doesn't always pan out.  Many of the guys "recruited late" tend to not have any impact on the team.  If they are able to have an extra 1-3 guys for next years class, I would like that.  The staff would have another year to evaluate the players and the players will have another year to evaluate the idea of play football at Nebraska.

I don't remember the exact date, but Sam McKewon had a Pick 6 Podcast in December where he had specific examples of the transition classes of Callahan, Pelini, and Riley had late signees who didn't produce, and those scholarship numbers would have been better saved for the next year.

Sorry I edited my question while you were typing this. 

I totally agree with "reaching", hated it and have expressed that on the board. It plagued Bo terribly. Riley on the other hand would just continuously undersign and it had the same effect. 

I think this scenario is different, imo. We have major depth issues that still need address and have momentum going into the last month. Oppose to backpedaling like we often were under Bo and Riley. 

And also there is likely to be more attrition post-spring ball when older guys see where they are on the depth chart. 

• Plus1 1