athlon has riley ranked #40 among active coaches

athlon has riley ranked 40th on list of active coaches...

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-all-128-college-football-head-coaches-2015

when nebraska hired our previous coach, i could never understand why they did not seek out snyder , coach of kansas state...i still believe he was the answer for nu,, but it was never persued....snyder took a very poor program, winless program, and made them into a national power ....think what he could have done a nu...

• Fire 3

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-all-128-college-football-head-coaches-2015

when nebraska hired our previous coach, i could never understand why they did not seek out snyder , coach of kansas state...i still believe he was the answer for nu,, but it was never persued....snyder took a very poor program, winless program, and made them into a national power ....think what he could have done a nu...

hmmmm....stretching here

• Fire 1

They're crazy about Harbaugh (#5), ahead of Mark Dantonio (#6), Gary Patterson (#7), and BobStoops (#8), Gus Malzahn (#9) and Jimbo Fisher (#10).

Butch Jones is #25 for Tennessee. 9 spots ahead of Mark Helfrich at #34.

I guess it's really hard to put a list together but likewise, it's really hard to put much stock into the lists they do come up with.

Florida's Jim McElwain

They're crazy about Harbaugh (#5), ahead of Mark Dantonio (#6), Gary Patterson (#7), and BobStoops (#8), Gus Malzahn (#9) and Jimbo Fisher (#10).

Why is that? What he did at Stanford, the 49ers, etc? He built the foundation that Shaw rode for the next 3 years too. I'd put him above Dantonio for that. Stoops 6-10 years ago...no way. Stoops in 2015...yes. Malzahn...hmmm, neither have enough longevity in their career to determine which is better right now. Both are hot, same goes for Fisher. But if I had my choice of those 3 to coach the Huskers, I'd take Harbaugh. Patterson is the one that has me thinking. I'd prolly take him over Harbaugh.

40th? Anyone else feel like that is a bit low? With what he had (or did not have at OSU) and what he accomplished I would have guessed more like top 20? Maybe, just maybe, top 15?

lol no. Not that he isn't possibly capable of it, but he has not put enough results down on paper to warrant being anywhere close to top 15.

KSU a national power? Ummmmm.....how many national championship games have they played in? Now, if you want to say Big XII power then fine. They have played a factor in the conference championship several times and they were a pain in our ass during the worst era of ours for 50 years. But, they are hardly a national power.

Why is that? What he did at Stanford, the 49ers, etc? He built the foundation that Shaw rode for the next 3 years too. I'd put him above Dantonio for that. Stoops 6-10 years ago...no way. Stoops in 2015...yes. Malzahn...hmmm, neither have enough longevity in their career to determine which is better right now. Both are hot, same goes for Fisher. But if I had my choice of those 3 to coach the Huskers, I'd take Harbaugh. Patterson is the one that has me thinking. I'd prolly take him over Harbaugh.

The harbaugh who has never stayed at a place long enough to determine if he can sustain any type of success? He is a slightly better version of Pelini IMO, same personality etc

• Fire 1

I don't think it matters much what anyone has Riley rated this year. He came from a lower tier program that, while a bit inconsistent, had a reputation as a giant killer. Where do you rank a guy like that? I'll be interested to see where coach Riley falls in this same ranking in a couple or three years. It'll mean something then.

• Fire 4

Interesting that the Big 10 has 3 in the top ten and the SEC on 2. It is a real "what have you done for me lately" kind of a ranking isn't it. Three/four years ago Pat Fitzgerald would have been in the top 15 and Chris Peterson would have been top 10. I wouldn't put Harbaugh that high personally, as said before, he has never stayed long enough to see if he can sustain anything.

Harbaugh has never won a FBS conference championship and they're putting him 5. That is absurd. He had a few good years at Stanford, when he had Andrew Luck as his QB and even then he didn't win a conference championship. He may be a great college coach but he hasn't proved it yet and putting him number 5 is outrageous.

Harbaugh has never won a FBS conference championship and they're putting him 5. That is absurd. He had a few good years at Stanford, when he had Andrew Luck as his QB and even then he didn't win a conference championship. He may be a great college coach but he hasn't proved it yet and putting him number 5 is outrageous.

Ha! I thought he won at least one Pac10/12 championship while there, but he didn't. Shaw has won 2 since he's been gone, with and without Luck.

Albeit, the 49ers were kind of a joke before he got there. Or am I wrong about that too? Making the NFC championship game in the first year, then the Super Bowl in his second. That's pretty flippin' impressive.

It's all pre-season hype. I mean, there was crazy mad pre-season hype for Rich Rod when he was hired at Michigan too.

Any rankings by any writer(s) have become a joke. They aren't any more an authority on the game as any one of us. Some of us might even write more about the game than they do. We just don't get paid for it. I know there's a lot of us too that know more about the game than those writers too. (You guys rock...)

• Fire 1