LB Isaac Slade-Matautia [Oregon - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In he year 2017.... silent commit means "I'm interested in them but want to find something better"

Holmes quote after he committed to UCLA tells you everything you need to know about "silent commits".

They aren't worth the paper they are written on.

It's a stupid concept.

Agreed. Next recruiting cycle... if I hear one mention of "silent commit" I'm moving on and following the next guy we could get. We've been burnt, USC has been burnt, even Ohio state. It's a terrible trend

Yeah, I realize he hadn't committed yet. That's why I didn't tag the thread. But I thought I'd give credit to the ones who'd already picked if it was announced in the next day or so. Either way is fine with me.

As for "silent commits", that's why you need to let guys sign whenever they want. Once they're signed, they're committed. Until then......

• Fire 1

In he year 2017.... silent commit means "I'm interested in them but want to find something better"

Holmes quote after he committed to UCLA tells you everything you need to know about "silent commits".

It's a stupid concept.

Neither are public verbal commits to be honest.

It's a stupid concept.

Neither is written, so not even worth the non-existent paper they weren't written on.

It's a stupid concept.

Completely understand that. However, for someone to publicly proclaim something like a commitment, it means somewhat more than saying something behind closed doors so nobody knows but I'm still looking at other schools.

The only reason someone would be a silent commit is if he still wants other coaches to fully recruit him. With a public commit, that's telling the world (including other coaches) that you plan on going to XYZ school.

Big difference in my mind.

The only justified reason I can see for being a silent commit, is if you set up an announcement date but figured it out earlier. Then you commit silently and let the other schools know, so they're not behind the 8-ball. But that's also why I don't like the idea of setting a specific date.

But... while I don't agree with the practice, I can also understand silent committing and then spurning the school at the last minute. Although, that practice would be better if you're announcing on signing day. That way the school you committed to is a smidgen less talented, therefore, less competition for your actual team. It makes sense, but it's also bush league.