Has anyone here quit their job without something lined up?

My wife did once and was unemployed for like 4 or 5 months. She was pretty well qualified for the positions she was applying for and had a number of interviews but turned some down and unfortunately didn't get the ones she really wanted. Lucky for us she got something right before we had run our savings dry.

At that time she had been in the mindset that she needed to take the first or second offer and the highest paying job even if it wasn't exactly what she was looking for, just so we could keep paying the bills and keep trucking. She eventually landed one of those jobs and absolutely hated it and regretted it BEFORE the job even started. Naturally going in with that mindset doesn't help but she stuck it out until the nearly perfect job for her came up, which luckily was only a few months later.

This perfect job didn't originally look like it was gonna pay very much (the original offer was barely more than just the bills) but after a string of not very agreeable corporate jobs, It opened her eyes to "do something that makes you happy, even if it doesn't pay that well" and she was willing to take it anyway. She was able to negotiate a bit better pay and a few more hours per week. She will have been at that job now for a year in February, is extremely happy and hasn't looked back since. If you are curious to know the field of the new job, she manages a dance studio.

If you do end up taking the leap, good luck.

I hated my last job. HATED IT! Everyday I wanted to quit. I was freaking miserable and I looked and applied for new jobs daily. I interviewed for I think three jobs and didn't get any of them. I interviewed with Creighton medical center, Nebraska medical center and Concentra urgent care. After not getting the job at Concentra, I got pretty depressed and my mindset was "I need to just accept it, this will be my job for a very long time". Not a very good mindset to have but at this time I was just so miserable and negative, I couldn't help it.

About a month later I came across this job posting looking for a radiologic technologist for a company Ive never even heard of before, but I applied anyways because I thought anything would be better than my current situation. About two days later they called me and I come to find out its a franchise urgent care started in Alabama trying to set up their first site here in Nebraska. I interviewed for the job, loved what I heard about this company, was offered the position and gave my two week notice that very same day. Was offered $3/hr more than I was making at the time, so that definitely helped. Never felt so good to tell my boss I quit. This new urgent care opened up at the beginning of November and I cannot be happier to work there. Also, about three weeks after I left Mobilex (last day was at end of Sept), I met a girl and we've been dating ever since. All I needed was to get away from this job and have a more positive outlook on life to get where I wanted to be.

Just keep looking, try to tough it out and have a positive outlook and something will come up for you! Good luck man!

P.S. if you live in Omaha and get sick, come to the new AFC Urgent Care on 132nd and Maple and we will take care of you! haha. Thought Id give my company a little publicity since it is brand new.

Just gonna drop this here.

I've started my job search and people with the degree I'm getting normally start between $40k to $65k depending on location or teaching vs industry. $40k is on the low end for community college teaching jobs. $65 pretty high for industry unless you're in an expensive area.

I found a job in Washington state that wants people to have an M.S. and all sorts of experience with different programming languages and database software and they're offering $30k per year for full time. Assuming it's not a typo I'm wondering how companies like this survive. Maybe they just have no idea what someone with the skillset normally gets paid? They're certainly not going to get a quality employee with that salary. Why would anyone go to college and then accept that job unless they just lie their way through the interview about their qualifications? I could make that as a grocery store manager or administrative assistant. But barring anything crazy happening at those jobs the mistakes in those jobs would not cost the company hundreds of thousands - millions of dollars. Not so with the job this company is offering.

I found a job in Washington state that wants people to have an M.S. and all sorts of experience with different programming languages and database software and they're offering $30k per year for full time. Assuming it's not a typo I'm wondering how companies like this survive. Maybe they just have no idea what someone with the skillset normally gets paid? They're certainly not going to get a quality employee with that salary. Why would anyone go to college and then accept that job unless they just lie their way through the interview about their qualifications? I could make that as a grocery store manager or administrative assistant. But barring anything crazy happening at those jobs the mistakes in those jobs would not cost the company hundreds of thousands - millions of dollars. Not so with the job this company is offering.

I worked for a weather forecasting company with this salary strategy. They basically preyed on local college grads, starting at $27k/year, and hadn't had pay raises for a handful of years prior to my working there. The health benefits were pretty good. When you have 24/7/365 service you need numbers. They had to have been killing themselves by selling services for uber-cheap to get clients, that or the money wasn't making it's way down to employees. Either way, as a result, the turnover was INCREDIBLY high. I am talking like 30-ish% per year. The market crashed and I got let go, i was never given an explanation. I didn't even know I was even close to being on the chopping block.

Fun anecdote: About the same time, just prior to being let go, I was up for review. Being young and naive (but generally curious) I asked on the form why everyone hated working there (literally everyone constantly bitched when the boss wasn't around), why the turnover was so high and (amongst other things) why in the hell they made their proprietary software so overly difficult to use. then I made (what i believed to be) some great suggestions how to improve each. I never made it to the face-to-face review. I say the market crash was why I was let go but some might say that call out had something to do with it. I am not saying I influenced it but a year later everyone got a $3k pay bump buuuuuut were told no pay raises for the following 3 years.

The company I work for now pretty much treats programmers the same way. Keep it cheap, understaffed with high turnover. I am pissed about it and I am not even in that department.

In both cases, the companies have somewhat related yet independent service offerings that help them survive.

Good luck in your search man.

• 2 weeks later...

I get job alerts e-mailed to me and this is one of the jobs that came up because my main key word is in it:

Defensive Coordinator

Universtiy of Oregon Athletic Department - Eugene, OR

Responsible for providing coaching and administrative assistance to the Head Coach.Responsible for promoting the philosophy and objectives of the Intercollegiate Athletics Department, including adherence to all department policies and procedures, as well as the rules and regulations of the University of Oregon, Pac-12 Conference and the NCAA.

http://www.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=1e8e3ca512048c65&q=statistics&l=Oregon&tk=1a8dp89hf1pv789o&from=ja&alid=bf4f0e9423d4e1f6&utm_source=jobseeker_emails&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=job_alerts

I get job alerts e-mailed to me and this is one of the jobs that came up because my main key word is in it:

Defensive Coordinator

Responsible for providing coaching and administrative assistance to the Head Coach.Responsible for promoting the philosophy and objectives of the Intercollegiate Athletics Department, including adherence to all department policies and procedures, as well as the rules and regulations of the University of Oregon, Pac-12 Conference and the NCAA.

http://www.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=1e8e3ca512048c65&q=statistics&l=Oregon&tk=1a8dp89hf1pv789o&from=ja&alid=bf4f0e9423d4e1f6&utm_source=jobseeker_emails&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=job_alerts

Nice! Everyone on HB is qualified for that job! Maybe overqualified! (According to the posts I read anyway. lol) :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Defensive Coordinator

OK, lets play "guess Moiraine's key word"

Defensive Coordinator

Defensive Coordinator

Damn you.

I wonder what the median salary for a hooker is, conditioning on age.