Post your workout

Anyone ever use the 5\3\1 program before?

Yep...that is what I have been using for the last year. Absolutely love it.

I have the spreadsheet on Excel where you just enter you training max and it figures all your rep weight for you.

I use the 5/3/1 Boring But Big workout.

https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/531-how-to-build-pure-strength - This is the basic 5/3/1 program

https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/boring-but-big-3-month-challenge - This is the 5/3/1 program and the Boring but Big routine added

http://www.jimwendler.com/ - This is the website of the guy that invented the workout.

• Fire 1
  • 1 month later...

This one kicked my arse last Friday:

Barbell Curl

Incline DB Curl

Prone Incline DB curl

Barbell reverse wrist curl

Barbell wrist curl

Bent over Row

Lat pulldown

Straight arm pulldown

Seated calf raise

Leg press calf raise

Drop sets all the way through 10 reps working down to 1 So you go from heavier weight to lighter weight with no rest in between the sets. You rest between exercises 2-3 minutes, my biceps were still sore yesterday.

Here's my workout from yesterday:

Squat

Bent Row

Bench

Front Squat

Lat Pulldown

Push Press

RDL

Seated Row

CG Bench

Bi's

Tri's

Each exercise is 3x10. The kicker is instead of a normal rest you get an 80 second clock for each set. Perform your 10 reps in 25 seconds and you get a 55 second break. Must finish one exercise before moving to the next. No extended rest between switching exercises. It's better to have weights for everything setup before starting your workout.

Weights were obviously lighter than normal but this workout killed me. Hardest workout I've done to this day. I understand all those tweets we see from players complaining about workouts now.

I didn't watch the whole video but the pointers in the writeup seem solid and address a lot of things I see people do wrong while bench pressing.

http://www.stack.com/a/add-30-pounds-to-your-bench-press-in-20-minutes

Problem is, most people take their back out of the movement with their technique. You are making this mistake if your elbows are aligned with your shoulders to form what looks like a T with your body as you lower the bar.

In this position, your anatomy limits the involvement of your back—your lats, in particular. Also, it places your shoulders in a compromised position, and it's a common cause of shoulder pain during the Bench Press.

I've heard shoulder pain from a few people. One person went through physical therapy to resolve an issue. He improved his form and no longer had issues.

• 2 months later...

How do you retain any sort of muscle at 1800 calories and 140g of protein? It seems like for your size you should be almost doubling your calories and getting in 200g of protein a day. I'm 175 and the only way I can make any sorts of gains is at least 3200 calories with around 190g of protein per day. I've started training hard this year and so far I've gained 20 pounds since the end of the summer while lowering my body fat.

i'm not trying to gain mass or size. i'm fairly stout anyway. just maintaining what i have, everyone is different. w/o lifting over the last seven years i could still bench 315 on a good day. i'm below 195 now, usually 193-194 and have to be lower or at 10% bf.

on my first day back, a little over a year and a half ago, i put up 295 on bench, 365 on squat and dl after a seven year layoff. weighed about 210 with around 20% bf.

we're all born with defferent types of muscle and varying degrees of natural muscle mass, whether we get "enough" protein or not. i'm 41 now, so i noticed myself getting a bit tubby and also some atrophy from what i normally carried around w/o weight training or diet. i started back at 40. last time i lifted was 33.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Anyone tried static contraction training?

I'm trying to reduce the number of lifts I do but keep the workout the same length and I thought this might be a good way to do that. Trying to get rid of some of the isolation lifts I do.

Here's what I'm doing right now:

Dumbbell curls

Bar curls

Dumbbell floor press

Bar floor press

Dumbbell shoulder press

Bar shoulder press

Skullcrushers

Tricep extensions

Close grip press

Deadlift

Underhand upright row

Dumbbell rows

Squats

Lat raises

Farmer's walk

Bridges

Dips

Once new bench arrives I'll add bench press and some inclines, and hip thrusts.

I know I'm missing a complex lift for the muscles used for pull ups/lat pulldown but don't feel like going to the gym. Maybe I should get a pull up bar.

I'm trying to get back into shape and lose some belly fat.

I have restarted the C25k running app, but on the off days for that I'm needing some workouts to do for the upper body.

There are some highly respected workouts that just say to do the big compound lifts. You might want to check out this link:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/4-week-guide-starting-strength/amp?client=safari

The lifts I hear about most that people say you should do if you're doing nothing else (for upper body):

Chest press

Shoulder press

Bent over row

Dips (or variation)

Pull-ups (or variation)

Also, squats and deadlift will help other muscles (like the abs) besides just your legs.

I'm trying to get back into shape and lose some belly fat.

I have restarted the C25k running app, but on the off days for that I'm needing some workouts to do for the upper body.

There are some highly respected workouts that just say to do the big compound lifts. You might want to check out this link:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/4-week-guide-starting-strength/amp?client=safari

The lifts I hear about most that people say you should do if you're doing nothing else (for upper body):

Chest press

Shoulder press

Bent over row

Dips (or variation)

Pull-ups (or variation)

Also, squats and deadlift will help other muscles (like the abs) besides just your legs.

Awesome. Thank you.

• 2 years later...

This is a crazy bump...

I finally made it back into the gym after taking a year off to "reset" my shoulders and balance out.   I started having shoulder issues a little over a year ago and went and seen a doc.  He sent me to a PT guy who said my chest was gaining faster then my back and it was pulling my shoulders forward and out of place.  He told me to do more back exercises that focused on my Rhomboids and to lay off chest workouts for awhile.  I went ahead and followed his advice but continued to have issues.   I went back and seen him again and he sent me to a chiropractor to get adjusted.  After a few trips there and back to PT,  I was told to take an extended break from lifting so I could balance out.

The year off really hit me hard on the ego and the mid section.  I have been back for 2 weeks and have already lost 8 lbs. and feel WAY better.  

I started with Stronglifts and will continue with it until I stall out and will switch back to 5/3/1 and roll.