Gay marriage legal in all 50 states

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

From now on, if I ever start to think my life is a little tough, I'm going to try and imagine what it must be like to be gay and live in Alabama.

5 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

Or a woman in Alabama.  Or a child of school age in Alabama.  

It's a pathetic state making zero attempts at improving itself.

I don't disagree.  But how is this law "bad" for same-sex couples that wish to marry?  That's where I feel like I'm missing something.

2 hours ago, funhusker said:

I don't disagree.  But how is this law "bad" for same-sex couples that wish to marry?  That's where I feel like I'm missing something.

I think someone above explained it as I would.  It's not, but it avoids dealing with the issue rather than saying that everyone is equal and able to do as they like.

Just now, NM11046 said:

I think someone above explained it as I would.  It's not, but it avoids dealing with the issue rather than saying that everyone is equal and able to do as they like.

But the issue was judges not issuing marriage licenses to anyone to work around the Supreme Court ruling.  This law did fix that issue.

My in-laws got married in France when they lived there. It was a civil ceremony, a legal contract between two citizens, that entailed legal ramifications (mostly tax-related, but other legal things applied).  If they had been religious, they could have gone to a place of worship after and done a religious ceremony. But the binding thing, legally, was their civil ceremony.

That's what America needs. Marriage is a legal issue. If you want to include your religious flavor of choice, fine, but the civil union you're engaging in has more ramifications to the State than the church, at least in most of our society.

13 hours ago, funhusker said:

But the issue was judges not issuing marriage licenses to anyone to work around the Supreme Court ruling.  This law did fix that issue.

Yes now judges have to issue to anyone.  Some don't want to issue to same sex, this law would allow them not to by opting not to issue to anyone.  It's a semantics thing.  Avoidance rather than seeing all as equal.

I'd not complain about it, but I do see how they're circumventing the opportunity to make a statement that all people deserve to have the right to marry.