Riley Shelf Life

I didn't realize Miles was the HC at Colorado and Michigan.

If you want past success. Riley won two grey cups actually as a HC. Bo won an NC as a coordinator. Where did that put him as an HC?

Nick Saben was 34-24-1 with his best year being 2nd in the conference and he never won a bowl game at MSU before he went to LSU and won an NC 4 years later.

Dantonio is 75 -31 at MSU with a lot more hardware to show for it. Saben never got them there but a different coach could. I'm guessing Saben is a pretty good coach.

It is your opinion that a 62 year old coach can't get it done here and you are basing that off of what he did at a school with much less to offer recruits than Nebraska.

You're entitled to that opinion but that doesn't make it fact.

Had SabAn- not Saben stayed, he would have built a dynasty at MSU, just like he did at LSU and Bama- this again?

Ok- Saban never had a losing season at MSU, brought them up to a winner and had a 10 win season in his last year of the 5 year resurrection plan- he did it

MSU was very happy with the turnaround Saban engineered at MSU- he was right where he said he would be in year 5

Im very certain he would have had as good or better success at MSU had he stayed- hes shown he will go down in history as one of the all time great college coaches

Lots of NFL and College guys haven't been able to make what they did in college work in the NFL and Vis Versa- I don't think it matters MUCH different equation

If that does matter then I guess Rileys failure at San Diego counts too.

For the love of god, Saban didn't do sh#t at MSU. You really have to be ignorant to continually spew that sh#t out. His record there proves it.

Hard to have a real conversation with someone who claims to have a factual based opinion on Saban- when the other person doesn't even know how to spell the mans name

You've done it a lot, the guys name is Nick Saban- not Saben

If you read or follow college football to any level at all- you probably would have gotten that right

If mom doesn't have a cable outlet in the basement at least ride your skateboard over to the closest bar and watch a few games this season.

He did spell it correctly, so your argument is invalid.

Great job Mod you are really on top of things

Wrong again- this is what he said in just one post" Dantonio is 75 -31 at MSU with a lot more hardware to show for it. Saben never got them there but a different coach could. I'm guessing Saben is a pretty good coach."

You must have missed all the other times he misspelled it before I corrected him- good job by him finally making the switch

If you follow politics at all you know how to spell Barack Obama

If you follow software at all you know how to spell Larry Ellison

If you follow college football at all- you don't spell Saban Saben a bunch of times

If you follow college football you

No need for this post man. Considering most people struggled spelling Bo's last name of Pellllini

Well I would have to disagree with that

If someone wants to debate a subject and claims to have a bunch of knowledge about it- one would think they would be able to SPELL the subject being discussed

Goes to credibility

I can see why guys like Harbaugh has a tough time suffering fools like Cowherd who know all the buzz words but not much under the surface

If the guy needs help getting $$ for cable, heck lets do a fundraiser or someone offer to hire him to clean their pool or something like that

What about punctuation? Is credibility diminished due to poor punctuation?

:lol:

The use of a period is such a high intellectual thing.

• Fire 1

Very curious We have gone to 6 pages on the merits of our new coach Reilly I really want to go back and see after the hires of Kallahand and Bow Pellini if there was this much discord Were there comparisons to Zabin, Urban Meier, Treshell or JoPaw

• Fire 1

The fact that you are latching onto his misspelling of Saban when you don't use punctuation or paragraphs tells me you don't have a counter argument and are nitpicking in order to discredit his opinion. It's a classic ad hominem tactic.

Well my wheelhouse is football- not video games, basements of dungeons and dragons. But I dont comment or debate those subjects

When Im discussing a topic Im debating, I know enough about that subject to be able to actually spell it correctly, or I wont bother commenting

If I didnt know enough about the subject to talk intelligently about it, I wouldnt bother debating it. But thats just me

Thats why some guys have 8,000 posts and others have just 800

As to the structure of the posts- I always try and speak to the audience. The ones that need it most seem to have a real reading and comprehension problem

So doing everything this way makes it easier for them to read and follow

If we were having a debate about proper punctuation and sentence structure in an English Lit forum, I would write differently or not comment at all

But this isnt that type of forum, what matters is the topics at hand- Husker Football

If leaving periods out really gets to someone, they probably need to get some very serious counseling, I'll leave those trivial details to the hall pass monitors and safety patrol nerds we used to walk right by when we were kids

The fact that you are latching onto his misspelling of Saban when you don't use punctuation or paragraphs tells me you don't have a counter argument and are nitpicking in order to discredit his opinion. It's a classic ad hominem tactic.

Well my wheelhouse is football- not video games, basements of dungeons and dragons. But I dont comment or debate those subjects

When Im discussing a topic Im debating, I know enough about that subject to be able to actually spell it correctly, or I wont bother commenting

If I didnt know enough about the subject to talk intelligently about it, I wouldnt bother debating it. But thats just me

As to the structure of the posts- I always try and speak to the audience. The ones that need it most seem to have a real reading and comprehension problem

If we were having a debate about proper punctuation and sentence structure in an English Lit forum, I would write differently or not comment at all

But this isnt that type of forum, what matters is the topics at hand- Husker Football

If leaving periods out really gets to someone, they probably need to get some very serious counseling, I'll leave those trivial details to the hall pass monitors and safety patrol nerds we used to walk right by when we were kids

You used some form of the word "debate" 4 different times above. I think this is the core of your issues. "This isn't that type of forum" Replace "debate" with "discuss" and approach things from that angle, and you'll have far fewer problems here.

As for the 8,000 to 800...you've likely posted more than any other user in the last few weeks...since I see your "debate" spewed through a large portion of every topic. How it took you this long to get to 900+ I have no idea. (is this a sock puppet created long ago to +1 another account you've now gotten banned?)

• Fire 1

So self-reflection isn't really your strong suit.

• Fire 2

By the way....even if you don't like Colin Cowherd, anyone who knows football knows that Jim Harbaugh can be a huge dick for all the wrong reasons.

Cowherd asked Harbaugh better than average, open-ended football savvy questions. Harbaugh simply sabotaged the interview from the get-go, in a way we're familiar with in the Bay Area.

Sometimes the condescending approach doesn't work the way the condescender imagines.

Very curious We have gone to 6 pages on the merits of our new coach Reilly I really want to go back and see after the hires of Kallahand and Bow Pellini if there was this much discord Were there comparisons to Zabin, Urban Meier, Treshell or JoPaw

That's an interesting question, I'm inclined to say 'no'. I remember everyone being really jazzed about Bo (myself included) he was the guy everyone seemed to want at the time. Callahan might have been a more similar situation but I don't recall this much derision about Callahan until after the fact. That was after a long and botched coaching search though.

There was a lot of "discussion" with regards to Clownahan. Most of it centered around the notion of him being like the 4-6th choice by that smug used car salesman Pud. Some of the discussion got so heated that some board members don't even come here anymore. Riley may not be the coach everyone wanted, but he is the coach we need.

• Fire 1

With every hire, there has been discussion pertaining to if the person is going to be the right coach or not. It's perfectly normal to have those discussions and it's fun to try to look at the coach's past and have an opinion. However, in all hires, most people supported the staff and hoped for the best.

It just seems like this time (maybe we have been unlucky on this board) there are a few fans that are just adamant that this is the biggest screw up in all of coaching hires and they absolutely won't let it go. I'm fine with having that opinion, but don't fill every thread with the same worn out argument that you KNOW he is wrong.

Hopefully he is exactly what we need and 2-4 years from now 95% of the people are on board heavily and love the guy. (impossible to reach 100%.)

With every hire, there has been discussion pertaining to if the person is going to be the right coach or not. It's perfectly normal to have those discussions and it's fun to try to look at the coach's past and have an opinion. However, in all hires, most people supported the staff and hoped for the best.

It just seems like this time (maybe we have been unlucky on this board) there are a few fans that are just adamant that this is the biggest screw up in all of coaching hires and they absolutely won't let it go. I'm fine with having that opinion, but don't fill every thread with the same worn out argument that you KNOW he is wrong.

Hopefully he is exactly what we need and 2-4 years from now 95% of the people are on board heavily and love the guy. (impossible to reach 100%.)

I'm glad you said this.

In my opinion to the whole discussion, the tenure Riley had at Oregon State is in no way shape or form even close to being comparable to his position now. I'm curious to see how well NU performs week to week, and especially looking forward to seeing the defensive line play. I think Riley was the perfect hire for what he inherited. A broken fan base that has been really under appreciated. Riley has already repaired that immensely for what you can do in an offseason. I really like the guy, just wish we didn't have to run a pro style system. Thats the only thing I'll dislike.

I thought Riley was a good, out of the box. hire. If he would have been hired in 2008 everyone would have said it was a great hire.

IMO what really contributed to his teams decline at OSU is the rise of Oregon and Stanford in that 2008-2014 time period. Oregon was good before that but took it to a new level when Chip Kelley took over as head coach. That hurts recruiting and image locally. OSU wasn't getting as many of the local good players. Stanford's rise hurt because they were competing for the same type of player in California.

I also think he was getting a little too comfortable and stale. Many coaches need a new challenge after a while. Even Meyer and Saban

JBFB I am sure will just say that is an excuse, but these are factors that do have an effect.