Vegan vs. Meat eaters

I actually wouldn't necessarily advise and would probably caution against anyone going from meat eating to complete vegetarianism. I think a moderate amount of decent quality meat, etc, is more healthly. It's all the junk food that will kill you before your time.

That's also true for vegetarians attempting to add meat to their diet. My girlfriend is a vegetarian (her mom is and raised her that way, so it's not 100% by her choosing) and literally any amount of meat will make her sicker than a dog.

Why do I have a feeling this post is going to end up in the out-of-context quotes thread?

I actually wouldn't necessarily advise and would probably caution against anyone going from meat eating to complete vegetarianism. I think a moderate amount of decent quality meat, etc, is more healthly. It's all the junk food that will kill you before your time.

That's also true for vegetarians attempting to add meat to their diet. My girlfriend is a vegetarian (her mom is and raised her that way, so it's not 100% by her choosing) and literally any amount of meat will make her sicker than a dog.

Why do I have a feeling this post is going to end up in the out-of-context quotes thread?

I tend to agree with that.

Beef requires a crapton of land and oil and causes a lot of pollution. Unfortunately it tastes good.

Are people starving because we produce beef?

not!!!

Well, one of the main reasons people are starving is that their land has been stolen from them--for one reason or the other, often big agribusiness--hence, they are 'refugeed'. Continually getting bombed in imperialistic wars doesn't help either, no doesn't help at all. Other than that, it's a matter of manufactured scarcity, poor distribution, and profit motive, keeping people from having food.

Wha????

What does that have to do with beef production?

The question was: "are people starving because we produce beef?" I'm basically saying, no, people are starving because of the reasons I listed. Take Mexico, Central, and S. America, for e.g., the U.S and other imperialists have taken a shitton of their land over the last 75 years or so. Why do you think they immigrate here? Look at the history of United Fruit, and go from there.

Beef requires a crapton of land and oil and causes a lot of pollution. Unfortunately it tastes good.

not!!!

Well, one of the main reasons people are starving is that their land has been stolen from them--for one reason or the other, often big agribusiness--hence, they are 'refugeed'. Continually getting bombed in imperialistic wars doesn't help either, no doesn't help at all. Other than that, it's a matter of manufactured scarcity, poor distribution, and profit motive, keeping people from having food.

Wha????

The question was: "are people starving because we produce beef?" I'm basically saying, no, people are starving because of the reasons I listed. Take Mexico, Central, and S. America, for e.g., the U.S and other imperialists have taken a shitton of their land over the last 75 years or so. Why do you think they immigrate here? Look at the history of United Fruit, and go from there.

Wut? So people in Mexico are starving because America took their land?? First, I think Mexico and the central/south American countries have plenty of food to feed their population. But their corrupt gov'ts and economic systems don't distribute it efficiently and fairly. As for us taking land, the state of Texas (which I suspect you're talking about) was part of Spain since before the American revolution. Then Mexico, including Texas, broke off from Spain. And then Texas broke off from Mexico just a few years later.

But really, as far as I'm concerned Mexico can have Texas back if it would make them feel better. So long as we get to keep those yummy Texas cattle. :lol:

not!!!

Wha????

Wut? So people in Mexico are starving because America took their land?? First, I think Mexico and the central/south American countries have plenty of food to feed their population. But their corrupt gov'ts and economic systems don't distribute it efficiently and fairly. As for us taking land, the state of Texas (which I suspect you're talking about) was part of Spain since before the American revolution. Then Mexico, including Texas, broke off from Spain. And then Texas broke off from Mexico just a few years later.

But really, as far as I'm concerned Mexico can have Texas back if it would make them feel better. So long as we get to keep those yummy Texas cattle. :lol:

I don't know much about the land stuff, but NAFTA basically destroyed Mexico's corn industry. They could import American corn because it was a lot cheaper (partially because it was/is subsidized).

Here's 1 article from 2003:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/27/business/us-corn-subsidies-said-to-damage-mexico.html

The report said the price of Mexican corn has fallen more than 70 percent since Nafta took effect, severely reducing the incomes of the 15 million Mexicans who depend on corn for their livelihood.

According to a study by the International Food Policy Research Institute, a nonprofit research organization, the agricultural policies of wealthy nations -- including tariffs, export subsidies and direct farm subsidies of over $300 billion every year -- cost developing nations about $24 billion every year in lost income.

Latin America and the Caribbean lose $8.3 billion each year, the largest sum of any region, according to the institute's report.

OK....if we are going to claim that, then Mexicans would be starving even more if we stopped beef production in the US because corn prices would crash and that would make corn even cheaper to export to Mexico further destroying their corn production.

I'm not sure if you're replying to me or corno. Since nothing I said was a "claim," I'm assuming corno.

OK....if we are going to claim that, then Mexicans would be starving even more if we stopped beef production in the US because corn prices would crash and that would make corn even cheaper to export to Mexico further destroying their corn production.

I'm not sure if you're replying to me or corno. Since nothing I said was a "claim," I'm assuming corno.

It was about Morrain's claim Mexicans are starving because we ruined their corn production.

It was about Morrain's claim Mexicans are starving because we ruined their corn production.

It doesn't seem like you read my post, at all. I didn't say anything about Mexicans starving. I posted an article about how NAFTA had a devastating impact on their corn industry. It wasn't a claim, it's a fact.

Here's another good, short article:

http://economyincrisis.org/content/illegal-immigration-and-nafta

Those out-of-work farmers make up the bulk of the illegal immigrants entering the U.S. each year. Unable to compete with their highly subsidized American competitors – $10 billion in 2000 alone – rural Mexican farmers have increasingly sought employment in the U.S.

Corn producing jobs – the nation’s largest cash crop – fell by over one million in the first decade of NAFTA.

P.S.: "Morrain" ??

You responded to a post questioning the claim that Mexicans were starving because we stole their land with a post showing we destroyed their corn production.

I could only assume you were implying that's why they were starving.

Sorry Moiraine....hey,I don't know how to spell SabAn either.