Conference Realingment Movement?

Creed

Sorry, I am bored but has anyone heard any rumors lately? I lurk on Shaggybevo and a lot of talk there but mostly from a b12 uncertain future perspective. Seem to be talk from them B12 is shaky and KU is a given to B10 maybe with ISU or an eastern partner. Personally think the B10 is holding on for either Texas or a couple ACC schools - UNC, UVA and that wont happen for 5+ years

Haven't read anything in a long time.

I'd imagine that OU would prefer to be in Big Ten over the SEC(The administration and not necessarily the fans)

I don't think there are any other viable teams(outside of the ACC) to go to the SEC besides KU and OU if Texas goes to the Pac-12.

OU would be in a division with LSU, Arkansas, Auburn, Alabama, MSU, Ole Miss and Texas A&M. Thats tough going. They can compete for the Division every year vs Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Kansas, Nebraska, Northwestern and Illinois.

I'd think they'd rather be in the West of the Big Ten since its easier and can still recruit Texas just fine being only 3 hours away from Dallas.

Finebaum is trying to stir the pot that OU is SEC bound. Far as I know that has no legs though.

Paul Finebaum

Paul Finebaum – Verified account ‏@finebaum

According to @ESPN_Colin "The Big 5 in CFB is ready to be the Big 4... BigXII will evaporate, Oklahoma is SEC bound & the Pac12 wants Texas"

3:01 PM - 30 Jun 2015

OU would be in a division with LSU, Arkansas, Auburn, Alabama, MSU, Ole Miss and Texas A&M. Thats tough going. They can compete for the Division every year vs Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Kansas, Nebraska, Northwestern and Illinois.

I'd think they'd rather be in the West of the Big Ten since its easier and can still recruit Texas just fine being only 3 hours away from Dallas.

People can brag all they want about how tough the SEC murderers row is but your chances of making the playoffs and NCG go way down. If you survive with only 1 loss you are going to be beat up by Jan 1 and likely have to face a team with fresh legs.

• 4 weeks later...

Frankly, this move would open up Texass more to B1G recruiting (though not nearly as much as Texass to the B1G). That wouldn't be a bad thing...

Frankly, this move would open up Texass more to B1G recruiting (though not nearly as much as Texass to the B1G). That wouldn't be a bad thing...

I can see it that way. It certainly has opened some east coast and Virginia recruiting up to Big Ten teams with the addition of Rutgers and Maryland.

OU is in a little different situation than Texas. I can see Texas going to the Big Ten, ACC or Pac-12 depending on how they are feeling. I can't see OU going to the Pac-12 and only going to the ACC if Texas goes.

If OU can open up Texas recruiting for Big Ten teams then who needs Texas? I'd say KU and OU and call it a day. The Conference already has several high profile bowl games in Florida and California. Just need more Texas influence to lock up the Top 3 states and 4 out of 5.

If there are 16 schools in the Big 10, then the scheduling needs to be different.

There needs to be some sort of regularity with cross division rotation. I hate that the option could be for NU to only play Ohio State or Michigan twice in every 10 years or whatever the time frame is.

NU is in year 5 and still hasn't played Indiana. That shouldn't happen.

I dont know if the B1G really wants to go south or west. I get the feeling they want to keep moving east. Obviously KU or KSU isnt that far south, but Texas, Oklahoma might not interest them if they are trying to stay a North/North east based conference.

B1G ten is much more focused on brand and going east or adding someone like Notre Dame will continue to put butts in seats. Texas would fill that quota, but KU/KSU arent adding that big of markets.

For selfish reasons i would love to see Oklahoma and Notre Dame added. Rutgers and Maryland were both awful adds IMO.

If there are 16 schools in the Big 10, then the scheduling needs to be different.

There needs to be some sort of regularity with cross division rotation. I hate that the option could be for NU to only play Ohio State or Michigan twice in every 10 years or whatever the time frame is.

I agree on the scheduling. There has been talk about going to a pod system which I would think would work well.

At 16 teams, you have four four-team pods. You play the other three teams in your pod, all four in another pod and probably two from a third pod for 9 conference games. You might do that for two years to play each inter-pod team home-and-home. Then you trade for the other six inter-pod teams. Home-and-home against everyone every four years.

I agree on the scheduling. There has been talk about going to a pod system which I would think would work well.

At 16 teams, you have four four-team pods. You play the other three teams in your pod, all four in another pod and probably two from a third pod for 9 conference games. You might do that for two years to play each inter-pod team home-and-home. Then you trade for the other six inter-pod teams. Home-and-home against everyone every four years.

Yup. With 16 you would play each other more often. You could play each team every two years with a home and home with each team every 4 years. Basically you play your three pod members every year and play 6 of the other 12 teams every other year. You still get the CC game too. The four other teams in your 'division' change from year to year. Get to play each other a heck of a lot more than this 14 team, 7 per division crap. This does hurt hoops however.

That was interesting, but I doubt it based on the stories I heard about how the NU - Big10 deal came about. Seemed like the Big 10 was somewhat surprised NU wanted in, which would not have been the case if NU had been touted as a 5 team deal. It also didn't seem like the Big10 wanted more than 12 teams at that time. I think the went for more after the PAC10 tried to get 1/2 of the Big12 to go their way.

• 1 month later...

Just thinking Texas has to be chomping at the bit to change conferences given their fall off in fan support and A&M's rise in stature in the SEC. Yes, the state of program has something to do with it but their donors, season ticket holders cannot continue to get excited over home games with Okie State, Tech, K State, and I am sure over time TCU & Baylor will lose their shine. Just fired their AD. Wonder if more changes are coming as in exploring a new conference.

Also thinking that with how deep the SEC is and has really been controlled by Bama and LSU the last 10 years there are a few teams that are thinking they will never have a chance to get on top in the SEC. Teams like Tenn & Arkansas where expectations are high but might never win an SEC title in the next 20-30 years. Would they ever consider leaving the SEC?

I just dont see the Big 12 disbanding... I mean if they do then some pretty good free agents are available:

Oklahoma-SEC or B1G

Oklahoma State- B1G

West Virginia-ACC

Texas- PAC 12

TCU- PAC 12

Baylor- PAC 12

Kansas- B1G(basketball purposes)

Kansas State- B1G???

Iowa State- B1G???

Texas Tech-????

Not sure if many conferences would want Texas Tech or Iowa State. KU is interesting because of basketball. KSU has some interest because they are fairly equal across the board in sports.

I think the Pac 12 would make a run at a few texas schools. That would get them to 15 and then maybe add Boise State or BYU?

I think B1G would go for Oklahoma/ OK state if they dont get OK, they go for KU/K-state?