Thoughts on significant other working out at gym with you?

My wife recently has been asking to go along to lift when I lift at the gym. I don't necessarily have an issue with that, but the fact that she is constantly bugging me about help and asking questions, it kind of takes me out of "the zone". I told her I would be more than willing to help initially, but eventually she would have to get a little less dependent. Take the information I give her about machines, lifts, stretches, etc, and put them in her memory bank.

She is an avid runner already but knows very little, if anything at all, about lifting. I have bought her some smaller dumbbells for home use and we already had some that are adjustable up to 25 lbs. She has gotten "bored" with the home lifting and yet also says she hates gyms because "guys just stare" at her. Anyway, what are your thoughts on having a significant other (who has no background lifting) wanting to lift WITH you?

Am I being a dick?

I used to workout with an ex, and enjoyed it. I like to help people so that may make a difference. It just got annoying when she would say she couldn't do something (but she could if she tried) ,and when she wouldn't do something because she "didn't want to look like a guy".

Quite a few guys at my new gym workout with girls.

I used to workout with an ex, and enjoyed it. I like to help people so that may make a difference. It just got annoying when she would say she couldn't do something (but she could if she tried) ,and when she wouldn't do something because she "didn't want to look like a guy".

You aren't the guy that runs over to other people that are lifting that you don't know and start offering advice, are you? I'm the type of guy that doesn't do cardio, unless I see a super hot girl doing cardio in the machine next to hers is open.

My wife recently has been asking to go along to lift when I lift at the gym. I don't necessarily have an issue with that, but the fact that she is constantly bugging me about help and asking questions, it kind of takes me out of "the zone". I told her I would be more than willing to help initially, but eventually she would have to get a little less dependent. Take the information I give her about machines, lifts, stretches, etc, and put them in her memory bank.

She is an avid runner already but knows very little, if anything at all, about lifting. I have bought her some smaller dumbbells for home use and we already had some that are adjustable up to 25 lbs. She has gotten "bored" with the home lifting and yet also says she hates gyms because "guys just stare" at her. Anyway, what are your thoughts on having a significant other (who has no background lifting) wanting to lift WITH you?

Am I being a dick?

Tell your wife that was a great humblebrag.

You aren't the guy that runs over to other people that are lifting that you don't know and start offering advice, are you? I'm the type of guy that doesn't do cardio, unless I see a super hot girl doing cardio in the machine next to hers is open.

No, I keep mouth shut. Although there have been times where I have come really close to saying something to younger kids with bad form trying to do as much weight as possible.

I stared at a bunch of guys at the gym yesterday but that's 'cause they were doing shoulder presses in my squat rack.

I do shoulder presses in the squat rack. I can adjust the height for where I want to pick up and drop the bar and raise the safety bars in case I need to bail out. Where would you suggest people do them? Freestanding every time?

I stared at a bunch of guys at the gym yesterday but that's 'cause they were doing shoulder presses in my squat rack.

You bring your own squat rack to the gym?

No, but I wanted to use it and they were in my way.

I do shoulder presses in the squat rack. I can adjust the height for where I want to pick up and drop the bar and raise the safety bars in case I need to bail out. Where would you suggest people do them? Freestanding every time?

Somewhere other than the squat rack when I want to do squats :)