Thoughts on significant other working out at gym with you?

Your not being a dick but I see nothing wrong with your wife wanting to go with you. My wife goes with me to the gym all the time but she has a really good understanding of lifting and very rarely bothers me.

See now that's what I guess I need to teach her.

I would go in on my rest days and help her out and that helped a lot.

• Fire 1

Your not being a dick but I see nothing wrong with your wife wanting to go with you. My wife goes with me to the gym all the time but she has a really good understanding of lifting and very rarely bothers me.

To be quiet, and do whatever you tell her?

I been trying to teach wife that forever. It can't be done. :lol:

To be quiet, and do whatever you tell her?

I been trying to teach wife that forever. It can't be done. :lol:

Bahaha! exactly. After 2 years, it's apparent that I just need to SHUT UP.

I stared at a bunch of guys at the gym yesterday but that's 'cause they were doing shoulder presses in my squat rack.

I do shoulder presses in the squat rack. I can adjust the height for where I want to pick up and drop the bar and raise the safety bars in case I need to bail out. Where would you suggest people do them? Freestanding every time?

Yes! Please don't use the squat rack. You should be able to easily power clean your shoulder press weight and since it's a lighter weight you should be able to bail out by lowering the weight back to your shoulders without any problem. Plus, chicks will be more impressed when you take 135+ lbs off the ground and put it 8 foot up in the air. ;)

• Fire 1

I stared at a bunch of guys at the gym yesterday but that's 'cause they were doing shoulder presses in my squat rack.

I do shoulder presses in the squat rack. I can adjust the height for where I want to pick up and drop the bar and raise the safety bars in case I need to bail out. Where would you suggest people do them? Freestanding every time?

Yes! Please don't use the squat rack. You should be able to easily power clean your shoulder press weight and since it's a lighter weight you should be able to bail out by lowering the weight back to your shoulders without any problem. Plus, chicks will be more impressed when you take 135+ lbs off the ground and put it 8 foot up in the air. ;)

I don't really have an argument on this either way in general but there were 3 of them. They could've easily spotted the one that was doing the exercise outside of the rack.

I do my OHPs in the rack also. I set the safety bars right below my bar hooks incase I have to drop the weight. My press goes from my shoulders to full extension and back down. I don't do any cleans for OHP.

I don't really have an argument on this either way in general but there were 3 of them. They could've easily spotted the one that was doing the exercise outside of the rack.

Were they doing them with DBs or the bar?

I do my OHPs in the rack also. I set the safety bars right below my bar hooks incase I have to drop the weight. My press goes from my shoulders to full extension and back down. I don't do any cleans for OHP.

Well you only have to clean it once per set. I've added some power cleans to my workout so my form is improving but I could easily clean my shoulder press weight when my form was horrible. You can't lower the weight back down to shoulders on failure? I can't really use the squat rack without hitting the top of the rack so I've always just OHP'd with weight starting on floor. It's always frustrating on squat day when the squat rack is being used for something other than squatting and I have to wait. The squat rack is the only place to safely squat but I don't believe that to be true of other lifts.

• Fire 1

Well you only have to clean it once per set. I've added some power cleans to my workout so my form is improving but I could easily clean my shoulder press weight when my form was horrible. You can't lower the weight back down to shoulders on failure? I can't really use the squat rack without hitting the top of the rack so I've always just OHP'd with weight starting on floor. It's always frustrating on squat day when the squat rack is being used for something other than squatting and I have to wait. The squat rack is the only place to safely squat but I don't believe that to be true of other lifts.

I see what your saying now.

I can't power clean or do any cleans because of my wrist. My left wrist is fused and I lost about 80% of the motion in it and it doesn't allow me to rest the bar at the base of my fingers.

Were they doing them with DBs or the bar?

bar

My wife and I never go to the gym together. Maybe it's because she uses her "gym time" to go bang some other guy.

Are you sure his name isn't just Jim? Could be a simple misunderstanding.

Now that you say it, she usually says "I am going to DO gym, be back in a couple hours" when she leaves. I just thought she was using bad English.

My wife and I never go to the gym together. Maybe it's because she uses her "gym time" to go bang some other guy.

Now that you say it, she usually says "I am going to DO gym, be back in a couple hours" when she leaves. I just thought she was using bad English.

Doesn't she also say that she is "going to get trained"

See, it's time to let the healing begin. Invite Jim over for a nice bottle of white wine so the 3 of you can get more comfortable. Who knows, you may enjoy Jim time more than Gym time.