Batman vs Superman thread

Finally saw this tonight. Kind of confused about a few things. Disclaimer: I generally like DC and Marvel movies but I'm not a comic junkie. That is, I enjoy the movies but know nothing of the background from the comic books, only what's been in other movies.

*** SPOILERS ****

First of all, I always thought one of Batman's core beliefs was that he didn't kill anyone. Did I dream that up or did they abandon that in this reboot?

As seems to be the rule rather than the exception anymore, I thought it basically went with the "how many special effects can we cram into one movie" line of thinking rather than bother with much in the way of story-telling. It was entertaining but not that great of a movie. It seemed to me like they tried to jam the "why Batman has it in for Superman" backstory into two minutes that I didn't think really set everything else up very well.

The biggest thing that makes me shake my head is there doesn't seem to be a lot of foresight for a movie that is specifically designed to set up a forth-coming series of movies. That is, what type of storyline can possibly be a follow up to a movie that was basically wall-to-wall action that ends with three superheroes teaming up to fight a not-of-this-world monster that should be unbeatable? There's no where to go but to try to out SFX this one which can only lead to more movies that are nothing but wall-to-wall SFX with some even more outlandish attempt at a story line.

Anyway, perhaps someone has a better understanding of where this was all going than me and can fill me in.

• 1 year later...

Bumping after finally seeing this movie.

It's a dressed up turd. As an overall movie, it's pretty bad. Jesse Eisenberg's portrayal of Lex Luthor is laughably horrendous and probably the worst part about it. There are also countless plot holes and narrative decisions that don't make much sense, and could probably take me at least half an hour to lay out.

That said, I did enjoy watching it to a degree, so long as people weren't talking and Jesse Eisenberg couldn't be seen.

*** SPOILERS ****

First of all, I always thought one of Batman's core beliefs was that he didn't kill anyone. Did I dream that up or did they abandon that in this reboot?

Batman kills at least 30 guys in this film which goes against the more common adaptations of him. Batman used a gun at one point in the original comics and did kill people in the lore, but this was a tad excessive.

As seems to be the rule rather than the exception anymore, I thought it basically went with the "how many special effects can we cram into one movie" line of thinking rather than bother with much in the way of story-telling. It was entertaining but not that great of a movie. It seemed to me like they tried to jam the "why Batman has it in for Superman" backstory into two minutes that I didn't think really set everything else up very well.

It was set up horribly. We had to rewatch the Wayne's dying for about the 372nd time in a film because none of us can obviously remember anything about Batman, yet we're then supposed to just blindly accept that he's got incredible gadgets, a bat cave and everything else without explanation. Why are we, as viewers, too stupid to remember the Wayne's dying yet smart enough to remember everything else about Batman? Oh, that's right - because Superman and Batman need to have a touch-eachother-session over the fact their mothers share the same name. What. A. Joke.

The biggest thing that makes me shake my head is there doesn't seem to be a lot of foresight for a movie that is specifically designed to set up a forth-coming series of movies. That is, what type of storyline can possibly be a follow up to a movie that was basically wall-to-wall action that ends with three superheroes teaming up to fight a not-of-this-world monster that should be unbeatable? There's no where to go but to try to out SFX this one which can only lead to more movies that are nothing but wall-to-wall SFX with some even more outlandish attempt at a story line.

I think DC is attempting to avoid blatantly copying Marvel's approach to telling superhero stories, but at it's core, this just isn't a good story. It's far too abrasive and disjointed. Zach Snyder can show a visually compelling story, but he doesn't always tell a good one. Wonder Woman has saved DC's ass significantly, but I don't think Justice League is going to help anything.

• Fire 3

I've never been able to sit through this entire movie; it's just horrible storytelling. They completely botched what should have been a seminal moment in filmmaking: Superman and Batman finally meeting on the big screen.

Have you tried watching the ultimate edition? About 30 minutes or so was left out of the theatrical release. The added scenes make it a more coherent film. Not a good film by any stretch, but far more coherent.