"Guys like myself, that's what we flock to."

The thing I am most looking forward to with the offense is the fact that Langs has admitted that the O needs to help the D.

DL: “We definitely do. I think the way we approach it is, we want to do what’s best for us as an offense but also what’s best for the team. I think if you just try to go as fast as you can all the time, which some people do and are very good at, I think there is a time and a place to slow down, whether the defense needs a break, whether it’s clock management, whether it’s a weather situation. You don’t want to be three-and-out going fast every time. You’re going to put a lot of pressure on the team.

"But I do think there’s definitely a need to change the pace, to change the tempo. So whether you’re a no-huddle, whether you’re a no-huddle with fast pace, whether you’re a huddle up and slower to get started, I think there’s benefit and value to each of those. So I think having all of those in our packages is important.”

LJS: How many different speeds do you want to have?

DL: “Really, three. Three is a good number. It’s kind of manageable. We’d like to be good at all three. We don’t want to have seven and be average at all of them. We want to be really good at three. That’s not to say there might not be a fourth. But I think there’s definitely a benefit to having a handful of tempo changes for different reasons.”

Beck seemed oblivious to play calling to help the D, using one play to set up another and sticking with what was working.

Again, all things being equal, the experience of this staff equals 1-2 wins that under Bo we would lose. Does this translate in to 10-11 wins this season? I hope so. There is the whole "new conference", new scheme, depth issues etc.... Although real issues, I think its a cop out. Fix em, don't make excuses for them..........

I won't blame all the picks on him, but the "arm punt" stuff where he just seemed to go "F*** it, I'm going deep* and overthrew the receiver by 10 yards is on him. That's gotta stop.

"f#*k it, I'm going deep" is hardly the thought process in that situation.

I do agree, he needs to settle down a bit more but also, his offensive line needs to protect him a bit better.

I think maybe you need to look a little further into it than just Tommy saying "f#*k it, I'm going deep".

Why would Tommy try to throw the deep ball in the first place?

The only time you'd launch one deep is if you have receivers streaking deep down the field every f'ing play. I mean, it's not like he was throwing the ball to nobody.

There were guys down there almost every play.

Why did we feel the need to run 40+ yard routes every . time we threw the ball? Do the receivers not know that they can turn around and come back to the ball?

Where is the thought process on that, where is the coaching? There was none. We just kept doing it over and over and over.

The reason that we almost always had someone going deep was to simplify the reads for the QBs. We called a play and the QB came up to the line and read the defense. He then choose one side or the field or the other to "play". TA almost always choose the right side. The reason you play one side of the field or the other is it limits the reads the QB has to do and helps him see the coverage better as he only has to figure one side out. If you are only going to use half the field, you're pretty much always going to have a deep route, and intermediate route and a short route. It doesn't make a lot of sense to have a bunch of receivers all running short routes. You run one guy deep to clear the zone and keep the safeties back. Then you run your route combination short.

But - despite your mocking - TA frequently choose to throw the deep ball. Often despite having uncovered receivers short. I don't know how many times AA was all alone in the flat but the ball got thrown deep. So, yes, I put most of that blame on TA for either pre-determining where he was going to throw it or always wanting to throw it deep. It seems to me that way to often he was pre-determining where he was throwing the ball. One time he threw to Westerkamp (I think) even though Westy had gotten pushed five yards out of bounds. But he was trying to run the deep route and that's where TA wanted to go with the ball. He's more comfortable with the deep ball so that's where he was usually looking. I'm not sure what more can be done to help him if he won't throw to wide open receivers on the shorter routes.

• Fire 3

The reason that we almost always had someone going deep was to simplify the reads for the QBs.

You sure we watched the same team?

We called a play and the QB came up to the line and read the defense. He then choose one side or the field or the other to "play".

He then looked at the sideline and got the actual play call or made an audible of his choice.

TA almost always choose the right side. The reason you play one side of the field or the other is it limits the reads the QB has to do and helps him see the coverage better as he only has to figure one side out. If you are only going to use half the field, you're pretty much always going to have a deep route, and intermediate route and a short route.

I like the concept, but this wasn't usually the case in Beck's offense.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to have a bunch of receivers all running short routes. You run one guy deep to clear the zone and keep the safeties back. Then you run your route combination short.

You can't clog up the same space, (which we still did quite often due to poor execution or poor communication) but that's not really what I was talking about. I was talking about 40 yard plus bombs and having receivers going for the home run every play. I don't think you're talking about the same thing.

But - despite your mocking - TA frequently choose to throw the deep ball.

Mocking who? I'm the one that got called a drunken uncle LOL. TA did frequently throw the deep ball.....that's kind of how this whole conversation started.......nobody ever debated that.

Often despite having uncovered receivers short.

Balogne. Maybe he missed an open guy here or there, but we didn't OFTEN have uncovered WR's short, and Tommy didn't OFTEN overlook them to launch a deep ball. Good Lord.

I don't know how many times AA was all alone in the flat but the ball got thrown deep.

So according to your logic above, AA needed to be all alone on the "half " the field Tommy was playing right? Listen man, we've all acknowledged the hell out of this point. AA was wide open multiple times and Tommy either never threw it or missed him. I think theres a few factors there but I've been them like a dead horse. The only dead horses I really like to beat are Bo Pelini and Tim Beck.

So, yes, I put most of that blame on TA for either pre-determining where he was going to throw it

I do too. He needs to quit doing that and learn how to read the opposing defenses a bit better also.

or always wanting to throw it deep.

I don't know, maybe we should ask him sometime. Tommy do you always want to throw it deep? I'm betting he'd rather just throw completions to an open WR.

It seems to me that way to often he was pre-determining where he was throwing the ball

Yea, you said that.....up there. I think you're right. He's got to stop doing that. I said that.....up there.

One time he threw to Westerkamp (I think) even though Westy had gotten pushed five yards out of bounds. But he was trying to run the deep route and that's where TA wanted to go with the ball.

One time I saw Tom Brady and Peyton Manning do some dumb stuff. And this one time at band camp....................

sh#t happens.....

He's more comfortable with the deep ball so that's where he was usually looking.

I don't know about more comfortable, but he is damn good at throwing the deep ball. I think he needs to find other options and I'm hoping this new staff stops making that deep ball an option for him EVERY SINGLE PLAY.......

I'm not sure what more can be done to help him if he won't throw to wide open receivers on the shorter routes.

I'm not sure either but I've seen some guys here throw out some suggestions that seem to make sense. I'm hoping Langsdorf has a few ideas. Either way, I'm rooting for him. He is the starting QB and I'd like to see him step it up a bit this year and help the team to a few more wins. If not, I hope we find someone that will. I still got a lot of faith in Tommy being that guy, but there's really no excuse for him to not improve. I think all the right guys are here to help him. Can't get much better than the guys he's got surrounding him this year as far as a combined group goes. Lot's of good minds on that offensive staff. Maybe even that WR coach helps get a few more of those WIDE OPEN RECEIVERS out there that you claim Tommy missed so often.

True, were you happy with Tommy's progress from freshman to sophomore year? Just curious. Do you think he progressed at about the pace that a quarterback should?

I was fairly disappointed in it. I think we saw him play a lot more, which led to more opportunities for good things, but I'd put sophomore Tommy at about 115-120% of freshman Tommy's ability. He did play 90% lights out against USC though. Threw about 4-5 balls right to defenders, but they didn't catch them, and he was on fire that game.

True, were you happy with Tommy's progress from freshman to sophomore year? Just curious. Do you think he progressed at about the pace that a quarterback should?

I was fairly disappointed in it. I think we saw him play a lot more, which led to more opportunities for good things, but I'd put sophomore Tommy at about 115-120% of freshman Tommy's ability. He did play 90% lights out against USC though. Threw about 4-5 balls right to defenders, but they didn't catch them, and he was on fire that game.

No, I truly wasn't happy with the progress. I expected a lot more. I don't know how much a QB necessarily "should" progress going from the situation he was put in his freshman year then to his sophomore year, but I expected better. Honestly I thought he almost regressed. I liked more of what we saw from him as a Freshman. I really think he got less comfortable.

Just my opinion.

I'm expecting a big step this year and I'll be disappointed if he doesn't. One, because from the beginning I've really believed this kid has all the talent it takes to be an elite QB in this conference and two, because the excuses are gone. Meaning, some of the reasons I felt Tommy didn't progress, well those reasons are history. It's time to improve.

I won't blame all the picks on him, but the "arm punt" stuff where he just seemed to go "F*** it, I'm going deep* and overthrew the receiver by 10 yards is on him. That's gotta stop.

"f#*k it, I'm going deep" is hardly the thought process in that situation.

I do agree, he needs to settle down a bit more but also, his offensive line needs to protect him a bit better.

I think maybe you need to look a little further into it than just Tommy saying "f#*k it, I'm going deep".

Why would Tommy try to throw the deep ball in the first place?

The only time you'd launch one deep is if you have receivers streaking deep down the field every f'ing play. I mean, it's not like he was throwing the ball to nobody.

There were guys down there almost every play.

Why did we feel the need to run 40+ yard routes every . time we threw the ball? Do the receivers not know that they can turn around and come back to the ball?

Where is the thought process on that, where is the coaching? There was none. We just kept doing it over and over and over.

The reason that we almost always had someone going deep was to simplify the reads for the QBs. We called a play and the QB came up to the line and read the defense. He then choose one side or the field or the other to "play". TA almost always choose the right side. The reason you play one side of the field or the other is it limits the reads the QB has to do and helps him see the coverage better as he only has to figure one side out. If you are only going to use half the field, you're pretty much always going to have a deep route, and intermediate route and a short route. It doesn't make a lot of sense to have a bunch of receivers all running short routes. You run one guy deep to clear the zone and keep the safeties back. Then you run your route combination short.

But - despite your mocking - TA frequently choose to throw the deep ball. Often despite having uncovered receivers short. I don't know how many times AA was all alone in the flat but the ball got thrown deep. So, yes, I put most of that blame on TA for either pre-determining where he was going to throw it or always wanting to throw it deep. It seems to me that way to often he was pre-determining where he was throwing the ball. One time he threw to Westerkamp (I think) even though Westy had gotten pushed five yards out of bounds. But he was trying to run the deep route and that's where TA wanted to go with the ball. He's more comfortable with the deep ball so that's where he was usually looking. I'm not sure what more can be done to help him if he won't throw to wide open receivers on the shorter routes.

Mavric, you must not be familiar with the new Huskerboard. Beck was a dumb-dumb and everything about the staff is superior and will thus fix our problems.

TA is a returning member of the team and thus we are required to be optimistic, even though we're familiar with his play and ability to play QB. In no way was his decision making his fault, it was all on Beck (dang him!) and his inherent limitations as a QB will soon be fixed by one off season.

• Fire 2

"f#*k it, I'm going deep" is hardly the thought process in that situation. I do agree, he needs to settle down a bit more and his offensive line needs to protect him a bit better. But I think maybe you need to look a little further into it than just Tommy saying "f#*k it, I'm going deep". Why would Tommy try to throw the deep ball in the first place? The only time you'd launch one deep is if you have receivers streaking deep down the field every f'ing play. I mean, it's not like he was throwing the ball to nobody. There were guys down there almost every play. Why in Holy Hell did we feel the need to run 40+ yard routes every damn time we threw the ball? Do the receivers not know that they can turn around and come back to the ball? Where is the thought process on that, where is the coaching? There was NONE. We just kept doing it over and over and over and over................

You've never heard of the Verticals concept?

Man, that whole post went right over your head.

You and Mavric please, continue to try to oversimplify one of the most complicated team sports on this planet, please do, I get a laugh out of it.

Then please enlighten us to your point instead of rambling like a drunk uncle.

I'm going to report you to, er, you, for jfmb'ing.

Hey Saunders, look at this post from Saunders please. Let me know what you decide. Thanks.

I've you've got a problem with what I wrote in response to his post, you're more than welcome to report to to the other mods/admins.

But - despite your mocking - TA frequently choose to throw the deep ball.

Mocking who? I'm the one that got called a drunken uncle LOL.

Oh please. Don't pretend to be innocent here. I made an off hand remark about your post after you continually have called into question Mav's and I's intelligence (aka, "you don't get it" or "over you head [because you're stupid]") because we don't agree with you.

Mavric, you must not be familiar with the new Huskerboard. Beck was a dumb-dumb and everything about the staff is superior and will thus fix our problems.

TA is a returning member of the team and thus we are required to be optimistic, even though we're familiar with his play and ability to play QB. In no way was his decision making his fault, it was all on Beck (dang him!) and his inherent limitations as a QB will soon be fixed by one off season.

Agreed. We just lucked into all those points, in spite of Beck. I figure, since the morons on the last staff could get us to the #13 scoring offense, these new guys who know what they are doing should get us top 5 without any trouble.

Agreed. We just lucked into all those points, in spite of Beck. I figure, since the morons on the last staff could get us to the #13 scoring offense, these new guys who know what they are doing should get us top 5 without any trouble.

I guess NU will be the first team ever that replaces a staff of total incompetent backs of crap with a staff that is super well respected with about 100 years more coaching experience and gets worse.

I see double digit wins...barring freak injuries I do not see anything less.

• Fire 2

Langs has already seen the issues and has moved to quickly fix them. Namely the "option" routes. After watching TA for 2 years, he and the receivers have shown the inability to be on the same page. Langs, IIRC, is stopping this. Definitive routes that the receivers will run and TA will know. IIRC, he is also limiting the route trees or progressions that TA has to go through. Great. TA looks right and then throws right.

If Langs can simply have TA do the following, we will see improvement. Maybe not in completions, but TO's...

a) Look left and then throw right

b) Look the safety off

c) Implement more PA to get the safety or CB to bite and get single coverage at a minimum

d) The rarely used pump fake to again get the DB's to bite

e) Lean heavily on the hot read or RB out of the back field ala Marlon Lucky

There is so much game film on TA, DB's lick their chops to get to play a QB whose eyes you can really read. Langs changes that, TA improves. All of these did not involve new techniques, plays or terminology. Its simply having TA scan the field or look off a DB with his eyes....

With a dedicated staff that knows how to fix things (see KB's comments on Williams) we will be better technique wise than we have been in years.

• Fire 4

I guess NU will be the first team ever that replaces a staff of total incompetent backs of crap with a staff that is super well respected with about 100 years more coaching experience and gets worse.

I see double digit wins...barring freak injuries I do not see anything less.

The transition from no coaching to actual coaching will be great. :wasted

Langs has already seen the issues and has moved to quickly fix them. Namely the "option" routes. After watching TA for 2 years, he and the receivers have shown the inability to be on the same page. Langs, IIRC, is stopping this. Definitive routes that the receivers will run and TA will know. IIRC, he is also limiting the route trees or progressions that TA has to go through. Great. TA looks right and then throws right.

If Langs can simply have TA do the following, we will see improvement. Maybe not in completions, but TO's...

b) Look the safety off

c) Implement more PA to get the safety or CB to bite and get single coverage at a minimum

There is so much game film on TA, DB's lick their chops to get to play a QB whose eyes you can really read. Langs changes that, TA improves. All of these did not involve new techniques, plays or terminology. Its simply having TA scan the field or look off a DB with his eyes....

With a dedicated staff that knows how to fix things (see KB's comments on Williams) we will be better technique wise than we have been in years.

You know....something just dawned on me.

If TA knows the WR has multiple routes he can run and he knows he has had trouble reading the defense the same as the WR so they are on the same page, I can understand him having a hard time not staring down a WR while he is running the route. I can see in his mind thinking..."Hey, I need to see what he is going to run". Now, if the WRs have set routes and he knows if he calls a certain play, the WRs are going to be in certain spots, it can be easier for him to look right and know the WR is going to be in a certain spot when he looks back left.

I have said all along that I believe these set WR routes are going to be a big factor in improvement, I'm starting to get even more excited to see how it all works out.

b) Look the safety off

If TA knows the WR has multiple routes he can run and he knows he has had trouble reading the defense the same as the WR so they are on the same page, I can understand him having a hard time not staring down a WR while he is running the route. I can see in his mind thinking..."Hey, I need to see what he is going to run". Now, if the WRs have set routes and he knows if he calls a certain play, the WRs are going to be in certain spots, it can be easier for him to look right and know the WR is going to be in a certain spot when he looks back left.

I have said all along that I believe these set WR routes are going to be a big factor in improvement, I'm starting to get even more excited to see how it all works out.

I don't know, were we running that many actual option routes, or was it more of the "safety is 15 yards deep, so cut your route short to 12 yards" kind of stuff?

b) Look the safety off

I don't know, were we running that many actual option routes, or was it more of the "safety is 15 yards deep, so cut your route short to 12 yards" kind of stuff?

The way I understand it, the WR would read how the defense is set up and he was supposed to choose which route he was to run. The QB was supposed to read the same thing. Now, if there are 3-4 WRs on the field, that's at least 6-8 different routes that can be ran on any given play.